1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time is here... need final advance on my Mustang.. (Paging FT!!!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ehsan, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

The time's finally here to get my mustang, and I'm kinda buckling under the pressure.. So I need to ask you guys some questions:

I can't decide if I want the GT premium or the Shelby GT 500... I mean, it's obviously an easy choice, but here are my issues:

The Shelby costs way more than the GT premium obviously. I can shoulder it, but I'd be cutting it really really thin. It would be a pretty BIG part of my income. As a car I love, it's definitely worth it. But when compared to other cars on the market, previous Mustangs, and future Mustangs... is the Shelby GT 500 a good buy?

The thing is, I really must have two things with my Mustang. A Cervinis body kit and a sound system. That's the bare minimum.

Now if I get the GT Premium.... I would like to add a better sounding exhaust system as well as some additions to the interior of the car. This would bring my cost up to the point I wonder why I don't just pony up and get the Shelby.

One other thing... I've been looking around and, from what I gather on the internet... a GT premium does 0-60 in 5.1, while the Shelby does it in the early 4's... Is that information correct? A lot of figures going around...

I'm buckling under the pressure !... I have to make this decision in the next 6 days... I'm very much interested in my car being exactly as I envision it in my head... and I envision each car differently...

So I think it comes down to... if the GT premium costs $37,000 and the Shelby costs $58,900... The gap is just under $22,000... After calculating roughly how much I'd need to alter each car, the gap narrows down to about $14,000...

Is $14,000 plus being on thin ice for a year worth jumping from the GT Premium to the Shelby GT 500? Would YOU do it?

Thanks a lot, this is a big decision for me!

2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

i would just get the 37k one, paying 22k just to go faster, really not worth it in my opinion, and of course you can customize it a little with an exhaust and sound system and other stuff you want.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

man that is a lot of money for a mustang. that would be a crazy hard decision.

in saying that. the newer mustang is the first one i have liked since 60 era ones.

man with that price you could be creeping real close to a skyline. that there is a freaking car.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

37K for a GT :confused: Where are you located? If you'll be cutting it close, you know what you need to do.. The 500 is one hell of a car, but IMO not worth the price, the GT will get you in the door and you can customize it from there..

5. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

its a sweet car

modern mustangs seem to depreciate alot tho, after a quick look on ebay u can get like a 2002-3 cobra for like 20K-ish now, and it will still get u to 60 in under 5, plus u will have 30K left over to spend on hookers and blow

thats what i would get

i'm a cheap sob tho, so dont listen to me

6. Hayes44

Hayes44 Member

I'm not sure how I'd sleep at night if I payed $60,000 for a Ford Mustang. If you must, get the cheaper one.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'd sleep fine if it were a classic. Watch, in 5-6 years you'll be able to get a (newer) GT 500 for 25-30, if not less.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Would I buy a Shelby? Only if I had the money to drop on it. I understand that they will be discontinued soon, but I'm not entirely sure. Part of the beauty of a mustang is customizing it to what you want. While the GT500 is an outstanding platform, the Premium GT is a creature comfort vehicle, light years ahead of older mustangs in all aspects. If I were to get a new Shelby, I would not want to modify it much, but I love personalizing my mustangs, so I am happy with my GT and the mods I have made on it...and on my time frame, I can continue to modify on my own timeline.

http://www.webridestv.com/thegarage.aspx?ride=8016

9. Special Patrol Group

The Shelby is kinda cool, but you can get a drop-top 'vette for less than that.

10. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the GT Premium. The performance of the Shleby GT 500 over the GT Premium doesn't merit a 50% jump in cost to me. At least not right now.

One problem though is I can't supercharge any car I get. Illegal to supercharge a car here unless it comes supercharged from the factory. I'll try to get around this somehow but it would be tough.

For those asking, I'm in the United Arab Emirates, Dubai.

Falcons Talon,

How many more years is the current body gonna remain unchanged?

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

If I had that kind of dough, I would drop it down an older Mustang Shelby rather than a newer one.

12. Falcons Talon

I know the platform is going to remain the same for awhile, but I haven't looked too much into how ling the body style will remain unchanged. Let me ask you this. How long are you going to be at your location? Are you living there or stationed there?

Another thing, do they pop the hood to check for modification, because if that is the case, you might think about a turbocharger located underneath the chassis. Can you install the supercharger in your garage, because it's really not that hard to install a kenne bell, it just takes about 3-4 days if you take your time.

13. Falcons Talon

I haven't seen a half decent classic Shelby south of 90k.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

I have from time to time. Hard to find. I'd still rather invest in an older Shelby and fix it up as necessary.

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I'm Emirati, I live here... Not planning on moving anytime soon...

The problem is registration... You have to renew your registration each year, and when you do that, a check up is done...

I know what you're thinking, and the answer is yes, I can remove it before each check up and put it back on... But that's not something I'm willing to tolerate, especially since I might just get stopped randomly for speeding and due to a loud exhaust system, the cops will wanna take a look into the hood...

There's a chance the dealer can do it for me themselves at some point, which would be ok...

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Buy the GT and put 5K in mods on it and it will be comparably fast -- slapping some free flow mufflers on to get the deep exhaust note is very cheap.

FT do the new mustangs come stock with headers? If not there is another quick relatively cheap upgrade along with high performance mufflers.

#16 KingCheetah, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

You can get a used 2007 GT premium with only 2K miles for $25K at Carmax. I would not get a new one for $37K even if it's your dream car. $12K is a lot of money.

18. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

What year is the Shelby GT?

19. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've got a Mustang as well.

Any reason you want a super charger?

I still want a ton of mods on mine, but I want to stay 100% naturally aspirated. That means no super charger, no turbo charger, and no NOS. I want pure power straight from the block. Then again, this is just what I want. I'm not throwing slicks on it and trying to run 10's in the 1/4.

Just my two cents.

Re your original query: IMO, you don't buy something like the Shelby GT 500 for modification purposes. It is both a special car and a specialty car, and you do NOT mod cars like that.

Example: I can take my Mustang and make it fast enough to blow a Ferrari off the road. The point of such vehicles is for hobbyists and enthusiasts; get under the hood, turn some wrenches, and make the damn thing go as fast as you want it too. I'd love to have a Ferrari; I'd love to have a Shelby GT 500. I wouldn't touch a damn thing under either of their hoods were I to have either. You just don't change vehicles such as these. They were created as something special, and ought to stay that way.

If you've got the cheese and want that special car, go for the Shelby. If you want to modify a Mustang, go with the GT.

Just my humble opinion.

20. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

At this point I've pretty much decided to get the GT Premium... However, I wasn't proposing at any point that I wanted to touch the Shelby under the hood... I wanted to slap a body kit and sound system on it maybe, but thats it...

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow... Unless he puts an offer I can't refuse on the table for the Shelby, I'm going with the GT Premium...

Thanks for al the input guys!