1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for Von Wafer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragonz, Nov 15, 2008.

1. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

He is much better than Head,he will become our 2nd Landry,I believe.Also his defence is not so poor as someone say

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Couple of nagging questions:

1. How can making two baskets be a demonstration of "shooting well?" I think some are trying to "make a case" which is perfectly understandable. I'm always in favor of giving the young guys a shot first to see if they can do the job.

2. How can a guard get into (much less stay in) the NBA if they can't dribble as most accuse Luther Head of. I live on the East Coast; I don't see the Rockets much, so I can' personally comment on Head's ball-handling. Is it really that bad or are some just hating on him?

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He's played well enough to earn some consistent minutes every game. BB on the other hand hasn't done squat. Coaches sometimes are influenced by that veteran influence thing, I hope RA is not like JVG in that respect.

4. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

will Wafer in the roster while Barry out? :confused:

5. ILoveTheRockets

It just amazes me how humble Von Wafer is.

The guy just doesn't get rattled, his shot is SO much like Ray Allen when Allen first came into the league. I love this guy already.

6. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

When Shane and Barry are back he'll be back to the bench.

That being said, he should take Head's spot in the rotation as the 11th man.

7. s3ts

s3ts Member

Play Von Wafer

This is my first thread.

After watching Hornets vs. Rockets I say let Von Wafer get just as much time as Ron Artest on the floor.

Pros Cons?

8. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

as much time?I dont think so,although he performed very well,something I sure is he will take the place of Head.

9. Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink Member

Vafer is doing what we thought Brent Barry would be doing.

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Ya know, it is a small sample size we have to judge him (besides the tough time he had even making the team given his competition).

Still, to come in and give us something, even on a couple shots is something. Every team in the league needs guys to do that. Luther Head hasn't done that. Barry hasn't done that (shooting at least; love his ballhandling/passing).

I like the guys swagger. He's hitting shots and giving us a little attitude to go along with it.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

He shot 80% from the three point line (two games) sounds like he deserves serious consideration- looks like he is much more effective than Head and Berry. :p

12. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

and that sums everything up

Wafetr should be getting sum of barry's minutes atleast...50/50 atleast, but wafer is looking way better than barry at this point

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

you cant say he is the same as another player than contradict yourself by saying his bigger and better, because than he wouldnt be just like the other player...he should take all that is left of heads minutes, but not barrys, we need vet and a known shooter

14. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

In preseason I started a thread Von Wafer rotation player even over Barry and got hammered someone please post that email now everybody is making me look like a genius lol.

15. monster

monster Member

I think VW has earned some minutes when needed, but he still has some work to do.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

If you took the name off the back of the jersey of Wafer and Barry. Wafer would be the clear cut winner based on what both of them has done on the court so far this season.

17. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

wafers outballin barry in just 2 games. he prolly knew we all didnt want him and wanted to prove hes worthy of a spot and he dd just that. our wing depth is very good knowin wafers turnin out to be a good 3pt shooter.

id still use barry over him, but only for now. wafers good but barrys more useful but still wafer can earn that spot.

wafers a baller

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Head's dribbling is that bad.

I feel I am a pretty reasonable fan with not high expectations of players, I rather let the season play out and just enjoy the game, but Luther is one of the players that really makes me snap.

His dribbling is way below average for a guard. You'd think that by now he would have developed some dribbling skills, but honestly he is pretty bad. Against pressure defense you absolutely cannot count on him to help break it. Breaking his man off the dribble can be a pretty disastrous scenario as well.

His dribbling skills are just awkward. He has minimal dribbling skills with his off-hand. Even with the hand he uses the most, he is right down putrid.

Not only is his dribbling bad, but his passing is plain horrible. When he dishes to Yao he tends to give the ball to him below his waist, :confused: . You often see his teammates having to go out of their way just to catch a pass from him (meaning is way off target). His decision making is just bad. He tends to want to pass when their is most traffic.

I don't know, I just hate his passing and dribbling. He might be a good shooter, but honestly that's the only thing he can do. He has been clutch in the past with his shooting, but overall Luther really hurts the team when he attempts to do anything else but SHOOT.

So yeah, I don't believe it is exaggerated when posters talk about Luther here.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Wafer continues to shoot well, look for Head to be traded soon.

I don't think he can replace Barry. Barry is not just a shooter. Wafer and Head are.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed and i'm sure that's the perception the front offices have too. Now it's just a question of what Luther's value is. I would like to see him dealt for more than just a second round pick or somebody else's garbage but we'll see what happens.