1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for Von Wafer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragonz, Nov 15, 2008.

1. dragonz

dragonz Member

I didn't watch yesterday's game, but from stats sheet, Von Wafer played pretty good, maybe its the time for him to push Brent out of rotation? I like Brent, but I think at this stage of his career, maybe its better just let him do some teaching on beach, and maybe contribute in playoff time

2. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

no, not right now. he's pretty much the same as luther head with size and better. i'd rather have Brent Barry, as he is a much better passer and can set up the offense

3. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

He is better than Head

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I wouldn't push Brent out of the rotation, but Luther Head should never get off the bench if Von Wafer is healthy and active. Luther is brain dead at every moment that he's not in the act of shooting. His ability to check into the game and make a boneheaded turnover in less than 2 seconds is unmatched, as evidenced by last night's game.

5. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I missed the game also. For those that watched, how did Von look on offense and defense? Should he be in the rotation? In pre-season he looked like someone who could play the JR Smith role.

6. tofu--

tofu-- Member

He shot the ball well and there was a few times where he attacked the basket very aggressively, which was good to see. He moved a lot better without the basketball than guys like T-Mac, who just takes it easy most of the game and tends to not move around. The box score of 2-6 isn't really telling in terms of Wafer actually try to get to the rim, which are generally misses I think most of us on the board can live with.

However, as far as I could tell, everything else was subpar. He played okay defense but a few times on offense he tried to force a few things and we got turnovers due to it. He's not the brightest tool in the shed so if we're talking about setting up the offense and such, Barry is definitely our man to go to. I do think Wafer still played fine and his athleticism was something that seemed to help out the team a lot.

7. Tobe

Tobe Member

the last night was a reason to give him some minutes...when he was on the court it was good to see

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I was watching it from Sopcast so don't flame me for saying this but he did seem to shoot well, thing was I think I saw him lose the ball a few times. (turn over wise) Other than that he's not too bad of a SG and at the moment is a HUGE upgrade to Luther in terms of ball handling.. seemed everytime Luther started to dribble the ball he was bound to lose it one way or another.. /:

9. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I watched the whole game and I have to say he earned Luther's position in the rotation. He made some clumsy turnovers when passing to teammates, but he will get conditioned out of those. He's J and his ability to drive looked better then Luther. He's not ready for big minutes yet, but I believe he proved he can take over Luther's spot in the rotation.

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I wouldn't mind seeing Wafer take some of Barry's minutes, he has shown more so far into the season.

11. lalala902102001

Well, if Von can make those threes with consistency, he should get Brent Barry's minutes.

12. ibm

ibm Member

sr610 had him for player of the game. from the interview, i feel he's really a mature and level-headed dude. and dude can play. at his level of a 3rd stringer, he's really really good. how often you see 9-10 games into a season, a 3rd stringer gets a lot of meaningful minutes? even landry had to work and wait a lot longer last season. i hope he takes minutes from head and barry and become a regular in the rotation.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Barry has the name with sub par game. He can't guard my 73 yr old pops without ligaments in his knee. I like brent, but sometimes the mind can act,but the body won't follow.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Other than size, the difference in Wafer and Head is Wafer doesnt even try to facilitate offense, just find his shot and finish. Why not have Head do the same? So what if he's point guard size, he's not a point guard.

Not cuz I'm rooting for Head, just so he's not worsening the team with his fast break for the other team playing making ability. At least when Yao turns the ball over the defense has time to set up. Head turnovers is opponent breakaway dunks waiting to happen.

15. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I beg to differ.... :p

16. killlogan

killlogan Member

It's so kind of you to remind us of that. Head is better than no one on rockets team, no, on earth I'm sorry. wafer got some time tonight just because shane and brent were both sidelined, so I'm afraid Vafer will be located next to Head at the end of the bench after shane and brent return.

I frankly suggest Luther and Von travel eastwards to cba where kirk snyder and mike harris are playing.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Wafer has some elevation and hangtime on his shot. Reminds me of the Orlando McGrady type shot. He jumps so high that it is almost impossible to contest, Wafer has talent, and if he improves he may become a swingman. Someone who can shoot, drive in, grab rebounds, make assists. Already an upgrade to head.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If he can shoot this well, and play decent defense, he should catapult over Luther and Barry.

Von has much more athleticism, and is a better defender than both of them....

DD

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yes he should be in over Barry in the rotation. I don't get why this is even debatable at this point.

Wafer can shoot and he is athletic. Barry can shoot but hasn't shot well and he's not athletic anymore.

Wafer gets the nod.

20. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

I think Aldeman would want Barry to be in there to be the offense coordinator for 2nd unit rather than Wafer.