1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TIME.com] Heavy Drinkers Live LONGER than NON-Drinkers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Shroopy2, Aug 31, 2010.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cut him some slack. He's an aggie.

I kid. I kid.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I drink alcohol to counter smokings negative effects. The combination brings me to a nice and balanced healthy state.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Exactly...thank you for learning the facts before dishing out nonsense, like PointForward.

Beer is also a good source of vitamins and minerals such as niacin, magnesium, K+, and folate.

When the drinking is excessive, then the cycle turns and alcohol goes from being an asset to being destructive.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

After looking at some of the stuff that is called "art", I'd have to say you have to be either drunk or on mind-altering drugs to create it. Dali and Picasso come to mind. ;)

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

so, one needs to be under the influence to avoid clichės?

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, you have to hold your breath for 10 minutes!

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Nothing good has ever come out of drinking in the history of time other than the chant "show us your t***" and me getting some action last Saturday.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

no, that's how you keep her from getting pregnant.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

Isn't that more than enough to justify its existence?

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Your point is well taken.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is why I only ever read TIME magazine to catch the Nancy Gibbs editorial after some big disaster. YOU WILL NOT LIVE LONGER IF YOU DRINK HEAVILY.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

No posting on CF.net during work time hours sucks. A 4 page thread, this is like a record or something for me :)

Yup. My simple thoughts on it. Don't over-consume in ANYTHING, know the limits, and enjoy.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I need a drink.

DD

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I figured drinkers might ingest a lot of alcohol and not much else, no snacks or anything. And non-drinkers might pig out on junk food and crappy food thats not good for them.

This is definitely a flawed study. Lazily presented by a reputable provider like Time. There's SO many variables that can go into it that they didnt mention. At most I'd call this study inconclusive not definite, and you can choose the drinking side of the inconclusive over the the non-drinking side.

The article focused on the social well-being aspects more than the physical aspects. Advocating "Eat, Drink, and Be Merry". I think there's something to that. Perhaps over time you get organ damage, but the well-being aspects balances it out. But you can say that about smoking and junk food and not exercising...

People probably bash drinking cuz of all the jackassery that comes out of it, so they'll stress the how its so unhealthy to get people to avoid it and behave. Life isnt always fair though, the drunk bastards might live longer and die more happily than teetotalers.