1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TIME.com] Heavy Drinkers Live LONGER than NON-Drinkers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Shroopy2, Aug 31, 2010.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You're wrong...alcohol, in low amounts, is beneficial for your health.

It raises your HDL and lowers yours LDL, which improves your cardiovascular health significantly.

I am talking about a drink a day...there are no poisonous effects from that, unless you already have some sort of a cirrhosis that is in later stages.

And Im not talking about alcohol in relation to society...my point has nothing to do with that. The country abuses alcohol, which is obviously not a good thing. But, if taken in light moderation, alcohol can be very good for your health. And it doesnt matter that Im only a dentist...I learned this in the physiology class that we took with med students.

There is plenty of research done on the consumption of 1 drink a day and all the benefits from that. Look it up before you talk crap.

1 person likes this.
  2. Isabel

Isabel Member

Late to the party - I didn't drink until I was in my 30's. I was just being idealistic about what I wanted to put into my body, and not wanting to risk abusing it like some members of my family had done. I finally decided that I was the one in control of it and I might as well try it, I didn't have to be scared of it.

It's a moderate form of amusement, I guess, making yourself feel different. And definitely helps socially; I don't have to feel left-out anymore, don't find myself avoiding certain crowds, and having a bit of it in our system helps some of us shy people in getting conversations started. I can't imagine why people would want to do it alone, or constantly.

Now the question: why 1-3 drinks a day? Does it still count if you don't drink five days a week and save all those drinks up for the weekend? :) Two or three might be OK, but there doesn't seem to be much point to drinking one. That's not even enough to feel it.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

anecdotely speaking, some of the greatest people to walk on this planet were severe alcoholics.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's a good question.

I tend to also do most of my drinking in a few days. :cool:

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Like who?

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

No, usually when I'm drinking more, it's because I'm doing more social activities. I do drink occasionally for stress relief, but I usually use the driving range, gun range or punching bag more for stress relief.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Haha, no, the 1 drink a day means a drink a day...not 6 days off, then 7 drinks on the last day. :)

8. weslinder

Unless you just like the drink. I like beer, and I like whiskey, so I like to have a beer with dinner or a bourbon or scotch before bed. I know plenty of wine drinkers that are the same way.

9. Isabel

Isabel Member

I don't like the taste of most of it. The few good ones are in the wine cooler and fruit flavored category. (or, Captain Morgan and pineapple juice) I have to mix wine with soft drinks. If I go the rest of my life without drinking beer that will be fine with me. I don't think I could stomach it.

10. AkeemTheDreem86

Poe, Van Gogh, Hemingway, Jim Morrison, F. Scott Fitz, Pigpen, Hank Williams, Kerouac, Dylan Thomas, Billie Holliday...

All died from booze.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He sounds like an anti-dentite.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Correlation does not imply causation.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

nobody said that, at least not vociferously.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I am an actuarial science major with an emphasis on statistics, and this study truly hurts my sensibilities.

Why are none of the potential lurking variables listed? :confused:

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a theory that the greatness of any urban center is directly in relation to the number of drunks it has. Consider all of the great cities NYC, London, Paris, Rome, etc.. all at their height had a lot of drunks. Where there is a lot of art, culture and commerce drunkenness seems to go hand in hand.

16. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Did they include al qaeda suicide bombers in their study? It must have skewed the study.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also considering how you take your alcohol there are substances in red wine that help to fight cholesterol and beer contains a lot of anti-oxidants.

Also beer and wine have been with humans since prehistory and some have theorized that fermented alcoholic beverages and food might be the basis for civilization.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...irst-for-beer-spark-civilization-1869187.html

[rquoter]Drunkenness, hangovers, and debauchery tend to come to mind when one thinks about alcohol and its effects. But could alcohol also have been a catalyst for human civilization?

According to archaeologist Patrick McGovern this may have been the case when early man decided to start farming. Why humans turned from hunting and gathering to agriculture could be the result of our ancestors’ simple urge for alcoholic beverages. [/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  18. weslinder

Considering that alcohol has kept the Irish from taking over the world, it might be the savior of civilization as well.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You are mistaken. Considering I have had Guinness in "Irish" Pubs from Singapore to North Dakota the Irish have taken over the World and they have alcohol to thank for it. :p

20. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

so this proves that stress and depression are unhealthy. find a way to relieve stress and depression and you will live longer. mar1juana (ingested not smoked) will prolly make you live longer.

alcohol is linked to cancer
    mar1juana has been used to help cancer patients.

#60 bullardfan, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010