1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TIME.com] Heavy Drinkers Live LONGER than NON-Drinkers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Shroopy2, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I won't treat that as gospel, but I can believe it. I abstain from drinking and smoking and I'm depressed as HELL. If depression leads to stress which leads to illness and leads to death, then why be uptight all the time. Its more stress trying to be clean than to just relax and drown out reality once in a while.

Lot more can be said about that, but lets just enjoy a bit of good news for once before they disprove it :)

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

[TIME.com] Heavy Pot Smokers Live LONGER than NON-Smokers....WHILE They're HIGH

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here are some variables they need to think of:

- The setting is very important. Being a non-drinker in Saudi Arabia does not limit your options in terms of socializing, but it does limit your options in France for example.

- If you can afford to drink heavily, you can probably/maybe afford better healthcare and a cab.

- Quality of life. How many of the heavy drinkers lose functionality in their organs? memory loss? alcoholism? have killed other people? have been unnecessarily violent? So on and so forth.

I would be shocked if it makes sense, and I doubt the lead researcher will be boozing up his teenage children as they grow up lol But anything's possible I guess..

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

A drink a day can be beneficial for your health.

I wouldnt call that heavy drinking, but alcohol does have its benefits.

5. PointForward

PointForward Member

And you call yourself a doctor. Oh wait, no, a dentist. sorry forgot about that.

Alcohol is literally poison. No matter how you spin it, there's absolutely no benefit in consuming that damned substance. In fact, we would be in a much better shape right now if Alcohol wasn't such a prominent part of our society.

6. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Relax, Christian mom.

This has more to do with people relying on alcohol to allow them to deal with society. I'm basically drunk when I'm sober and sober when I'm drunk, so I don't see alcohol as a social tool or something to help "loosen" me up. But so many people are wound tightly with tons of defense mechanisms; they need a kick start to lose their inhibitions and be social around others. Spirituality is not an option for everyone. In that way, I don't think you can fault the occasional drinker for doing what he has to do to relate with others.

I haven't had a cold in years, but when I used to be congested (due to allergies or travel sickness), I would make myself a couple cocktails and smoke a cigarette or two. It dramatically helped. A little poison is good for you, that's how vaccines work.

=]

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I dunno, I aint a doctor or anything but doesn't a wine a day improve the length of your life?

8. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I don't need to drink in order to have fun...

...I just happen to have fun while drinking.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's a Muslim...

10. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Fatty fall in a faint?

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

FFB will live forever.

1 person likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It has more to do with the alcohol being in your bloodstream then social interactions or anything else. Kind of like small doses of aspirin can prevent heart attacks.

13. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

So I will live longer, but won't remember much of it. Sweet.

14. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I am something of a heavy drinker, at least a binge drinker....probably I meet the clinical definitions of an alcoholic. At my current level, it's impossible to imagine the booze being anything but detrimental to my health.

That said I think stress is a bigger killer than we know. There probably was a time in my life where booze enjoyed in good company actually reduced the level of stress in my life (probably the same thing could have been accomplished by just the good company).

A moderate drinker is someone who probably has disposable income (at that stage you don't generally drink 2 dollar 40 oz Steel Reserves or 3.49 bottles of Mad Dog) and probably has friends they want to drink with.

Someone who has never drank could be very poor, or someone who has family members who abuse alcohol, or a mostly friendless person (I don't know many people who start out drinking alone..though some of us end up that way). Or someone with health problems and medicines that interact with alcohol. All those groups might have lower life expectancies.

I guess if deep down in your heart of hearts (and not just the facade you present to other people) your drinking seems like a positive thing in your life, then maybe it is.

From a quality of life issue, just from my personal experience...heavy drinking is an albatross and a terrible idea.

Edit: I know I tend to overshare on this BBS, but I know a lot of the posters are young people in their 20's for whom alcohol is a part of a lifestyle they enjoy, and I don't want to deprive them of it...but I do hope they will keep eyes open and watch out for potential problems down the road, and make necessary changes if need be.

#14 Major Malcontent, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  15. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

This statement is definitely false.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

17. Steve_Francis_rules

I wonder how statistically significant these results are after they've controlled for all these variables. If they're breaking up only 1,824 people into all these small groups, how many people are actually left in each of the groups they're looking at?

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Um, did you read the article?

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I drink to NOT live long.

Total FAIL.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Still causes too many problems no matter how long it makes you live. Take the bad with the good I guess.