1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Timberwolves and Ty Lawson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hotballa, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

His two seasons he played his PER was 18 and 23. PER isn't a be all end all stat, but usually if you can put a PER over 20 you are a good player.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I believe it was Bill Simmons who had a LENGTHY pre-draft article about how bad Oden looked just walking. I believe he compared him to 50 year old Parish in terms of his physical movement off the court. so not every guy was hyped on Oden.

As for me, all I know is I am a cant teach size guy also, but I saw enough from Durant during his last year to put my bracket on the Longhorns. bad strategy in retrospect but I was CONVINCED this guy was unstoppable.

BTW...Rubio gets hate because he's an effing guard who shoots 35%...35%!!!

3. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Seems like you never saw Oden play in college at all.

4. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I'd like to think Lawson was also put in the best position possible for development with Karl and a stacked Nuggets team that was always in the playoffs.

If he was stuck on the wolves at that time, no telling how his career might have ended up.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Didn't POR have Roy at the time, too? That was also a factor, I think, in selecting Oden over Durant.

Also, there's more of a reason behind not playing well in that 10%. Every time the dude came back from injury, I'm sure he played scared - especially after the injuries piled on.

And iirc, Oden was a good source of double-doubles when he was on the floor for longer than 10 minutes a game. That's all you can ask for, from a guy who's body betrayed him.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Rubio's appeal was in part that teams liked his size, youth, and believed that he could be the engine to run a high octane offense. He ran the floor (and still does) extremely well, he had the physical tools to be a good defender and he was an extremely rare passer.

The problem is that the league has continued to morph, and in the modern NBA you need perimeter players that can shoot. Having a point guard that shoots 32% on two's in a killer. I don't think anyone expected Rubio to struggle so much finishing at the rim.

He is showing promise though. He is picking his spots from the 3 point line and hitting a good percentage, he is just not a volume 3 point shooter.

7. Gil

Gil Member

Rubio is as flawed as Jeremy Lin. Jason Williams was one of the creative passers of the ball the League has ever seen doesn't make him elite.

It's like the Wolves are playing with 4 men at times, highlight reel plays aren't enough to make up for his historically bad shooting.

8. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

i love ty Lawson but I doubt anyone thought he would be this good. dude is embarking on being the best sub 6 feet player ever

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

The biggest pproblem in my mind wasn't drafting Flynn, he was regarded pretty well at the time, for me the issue was picking two point guards back to back, only because McHale had them ranked that way and not factoring in team needs

They should have traded the Rubio pick. Remember how much of a hot commodity he was? The t-wolves would have been slammed for missing him twice.

10. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Are you idiots really blaming the GM for not predicting Oden's career would be destroyed by injuries? You guys do know that Oden was playing very well before he got injured right? Ridiculous the lack of knowledge on this forum.