1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Kaine = Dem's VP pick

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 22, 2016.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And if she chose Elizabeth Warren or someone similar with fiery lib street cred , you or someone would almost surely say

"A risky gamble to shore up the base and get some buzz because she's not confident enough to win."

I'm trying to figure out what a "confident" pick is.....and inanimate object or a fictional character?

"WOW, Hillary picked Lady Lyanna Mormont....what a ballsy call, Bear island has like NO electoral votes...."

1 person likes this.
  2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

"Whoa there friend, you might need to slow down."
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9C_HReR_McQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Also, how is this on the second page and no one has confused this guy with this guy:
    [​IMG]???

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

He seems a little soft on immigration issues although he is for comprehensive reform i guess he is a safe choice.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

VPs are generally uncontroversial ex-senators that do as their told and get to go to funerals that aren't important enough for the president. The gig pays great though.

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

[​IMG]

(let's see if anyone gets this)

#26 dandorotik, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

8. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

If this is the only criticism you have against the pick, then all I have to say is, "Congratulations President Clinton and Vice President Kaine!"

9. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

This is the wrong video to watch when you're high.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Dude looks like willard scott

11. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

And everyone collectively shrugged.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well even if Clinton had chosen Elizabeth Warren, I wouldn't vote for her (unless California is close), but I would have thought about it. Kaine doesn't make me think about it. I don't hate Kaine. He has things I like about him and things I don't like about him.

In the bigger picture, it isn't a horrible choice. It may help reassure some working class white voters or people who are worried about Clinton's foreign policy.

In the end Clinton will still lose amongst working class white voters, but if she cuts into that margin, it may be a smart move.

I don't think anyone who was already decided for Trump will jump to Clinton's team now. But some folks who couldn't stand Clinton and also know that Trump is clueless, and as dishonest as Clinton, may edge towards Clinton.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's the opposite. She is confident enough that she doesn't feel she needs Warren or Sherrod Brown to shore up her liberal base and doesn't need a Julian Castro or Booker to shore up her minority base.

I've been reading more about Kaine and it sound like the main qualities he brings to the ticket is someone who can help her govern and fill the role that Biden did for Obama. A VP who she gets along with and doesn't cause friction with her.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I doubt any working class voters vote on the basis of the VP selection. They vote on who will help them the most.

I think the choice of Kaine is an attempt to win Virginia, although history proves that the VP pick rarely increases the odds of winning a state. The better pick would have been to find someone who could bring energy and magnetism to the campaign. Booker would have been my pick instead of Kaine, if I were in Hillary's nasty shoes. You also want to think ahead and find someone who can be the standard bearer after 4/8 years if you win, and can build upon your term in office -- Kaine really doesn't represent that torch bearer, in my opinion.

Kaine may end up turning away the left wing of the party, which will have a far larger impact than picking up any working class voters (who don't vote on the basis of the VP selection). Hillary needs to make sure that black voters turn out, I would have picked Booker for this reason -- time will tell, but probably a missed opportunity for Hillaroid.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching Kaine's introduction. He's not an electrifying speaker but otherwise doing a good job. Hadn't heard before that he cut his own salary as Governor of VA during the recession.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Hearing everything Kaine has done for other people really highlights what a selfish piece of **** Trump is... Also, interesting Kaine's Marine son is headed to Europe to help protect the region from Trump's boss, Vlad Putin.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's truly amazing just how incredibly stupid you are.

19. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Absolutely on the money, IMO. If she felt she wasn't attracting Bernie supporters, she definitely would have moved with Warren or Tom Perez. Hadn't heard Julian Castro, but he would have been a logical choice as well.

Kaine a "boring" pick, but I like it. He seems to have some slight conservative leanings which will help balance the ticket, namely within the energy sector.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm not confident a majority of voters could tell you their chosen candidates expressed position on 10 issues, let alone come to a reasoned conclusion of which candidate would most benefit the voter's interests.