1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tim Donaghy: Mavs have no chance of beating Miami and the refs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, May 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One wonders about these things during the course of a season, when you see the other team "get the calls," and your team (the Rockets, in my case and the case of most here) doesn't. That used to happen with Olajuwon a lot. Sometimes, a person could believe the refs were trying to level the playing field when Hakeem was running wild. (I'm kidding! ...mostly) When you look back, though, how do you explain the Rockets/Lakers series in 1986? The Lakers have home court. They're the defending champions. They are absolutely loaded with stars, stars of long standing, stars respected around the league, yet we crushed them in 5 games. I know it's tempting to blame the refs, and god knows I do it often enough. They blow calls, they do favor stars, some more than others. Some refs do have it in for certain teams, in my opinion, for whatever reason spinning around in their heads, and there are times that it's damned near impossible not to think a ref had to be either blind or on the take to blow a particular call at a crucial moment. For every one of those times, however, you can find a series like the 1986 WC Finals. LA was heavily favored, they did get some calls, yet we still beat them and beat them pretty badly.

Things just aren't that cut and dried.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Look at the last time Riley tried to make the SuperFriends.
    Stern didn't like it that time. . .so he rebuked it.
    He liked it this time. . . so Stern allowed it to happen.

Rocket River

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It would be like asking this guy [​IMG] about the mob.

or this guy [​IMG]

Rocket River
    Sammy THE BULL Gravano
    and
    Henry Hill

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look there is a few things to consider about Tim D before making any assumptions about "this" playoff series.

A. Tim D is working for a sports book online/phone company. He obviously still has a gambling issue and doesn't mind making money off of it with regards to the NBA. He is a crook even if he is right about a couple things.

B. The NBA had a chance to extend a series out another game and allow Miami to clinch the win back at home. This means more $. Why wouldn't the NBA want a longer series with its newest superstar DRose going against the other biggest superstars currently in the game?

C. The NBA strives for 70% effectiveness. They accept that calls will get missed and the human eye can contest for missed calls. When I watched the game the first time live on TV, I missed that call myself just like the refs, announcers, Tim Legler, etc. Its only when you watch it again that you can analyze the calls more.

That being said, I do agree that the NBA refs are crooked SOB's. If they can get away with calling a game a certain way, Im sure they will. However in the Dallas/Miami Finals coming up, no way they get away with blantanly rigging the game.

Like Donaghy explains, the refs will meet the night before a game, go over tape and look at things to watch out for on certain players. The refs are allowed to do film preparation just like the players.

Lebron and Wade will get alot of the 50/50 calls because they know the officiating system and they work it to their advantage to get calls. Thats the way the world of the NBA works and at least Dallas knows what to expect and can prepare for it. Tim Donaghy is just stating the obvious.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

At that point of the game officials need to be on the ball. It's the 4th quarter of a playoff game where if one team loses they get knocked out.

If they want the accusations to go away, then don't continuously miss these calls. I remember watching the 4th quarter of the 2007 Rockets vs. Jazz playoffs and the Jazz traveled every chance they could. The officiating really sucked. Every mistake favored the Jazz except for maybe one.

6. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Mavs vs Rocket series 2005

Nuff Said

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

You have obviously never have refereed a basketball game. Knowing the rules is not eponymous with making the correct call, or using the correct grammar.

These are the best basketball players in the world and they still miss layups. This is not an argument for, or justification of, the mistakes. Though, they are in fact inevitable. If you have ever refereed basketball, at any level, you realize this.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

grunch

Did Donaghy pick the Mavs over the Lakers on his gambling website? If so, then I'll start believing that he can do this based on ref analysis.

9. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Exactly on Point

It's funny how people dicard the facts that don't support their veiws

10. VanityHalfBlack

Nice television set there Donaghy.....

11. KyleLowryPG

KyleLowryPG Member

Its pathetic when thousands of Americans die and nobody asks questions when a building falls without anything touching it.

12. KyleLowryPG

KyleLowryPG Member

I love how people make excuses for refs and say 70 percent effectiveness on calls from supposedly the best refs in all of sports is acceptable. Mediocrity is acceptable to the mediocre.

13. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Enjoy your purple box while you have it.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My take on the 2 videos at the beginning of the thread is this:

1) The Lebron travel. He has the ball. He is stuck in place because he has lost his dribble. The clock is winding down. Who are all 3 officials looking at if not James at that point? Not one of them was looking at the guy with the ball?

2) The Boozer foul. This one I can see them missing because the foul occurred away from the ball and before he secured the rebound.

OK, nuff said. Lets see how it goes once the series begins.

15. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Toycen428? Have I been cloned without my consent!?!?!?! :)

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

gotta smile at the notion of Tim Donaghy cleaning up NBA officiating.

priceless.;)

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If I were referee. I'd foul Nowitzki out of the game within minutes.

18. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

first off, i think it is funny and predictable timmy d is running with the sports booking crowd. he probably has a discount sushi emporium operating somewhere also.

second, i think that the refs have favored superstars because the league showcases superstars. when you get promos for games, despite the market, you hear "kobe, and the lakers, vs. steve nash, and the suns".

the league is going bankrupt. they need the resurrection of jordan to bring back viewers. stern thinks that lebron and co. are the next version of the bulls and will generate the most revenue for the league. i think that him bastardizing the league with fake superstars it ruining the leagues reputation and is showcasing a false product.

this league has forgotten how to play basketball. when we had the replacement refs, we had more foul calls. most people think that was the inexperience of the officials. i believe it was a testament to how the players have forgotten how to play fundemenatl ball. i hated watching players reenacting their favorite soccer complaint expression because they couldn't pick up their dribble at half-court and can run it in.

with all that said, i think donaghy is right that miami will win. i do agree with the other posters said that dallas has to play perfect ball just so that it can't be taken away from them. man, i hate june.

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Dude, no way in HELL did he take two steps after picking up his dribble and then take another two steps as you're describing. You're watching this video with blinders on.