1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Donaghy: Mavs have no chance of beating Miami and the refs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, May 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The traveling non-call was obvious, and he has a point of why no analysts mentioned it.

The Boozer one was kind of weak. Nothing to see there.

And yeah, if the refs called travel on LeBron as easily as they do Martin, LeBron would have a couple of TOs more and about 4 points less each game.

And it's funny how they say that guys like LeBron and Wade have the reputation of getting fouled going to the basket so they get the benefit of the doubt, yet LeBron's reputation of "crab dribbling" never gets him being called a lot of traveling violation.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah Tim Donaghy has no credibility whatsoever, so I'll pull a quote from another source.

Spacemoth: The Dallas Mavericks have no chance against Miami and the refs.

There you have it. Guaranteed.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Happens in every sport. Great players get the benefit of the doubt. Just look at how many times Andre Johnson pushes off guys to make a nice catch, happened last year against the Cheifs and it was clear to EVERYONE that Andre pushed off.

Or how about when teams are able to destroy Matt Schaub but if you look at Peyton or Brady the wrong way that is roughing the passer.

Besides, in the game threads people were saying how the refs wanted Chicago to win to extend a highly watched series...

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

?????

5. PeppermintCandy

Interesting. But if the refs have been allowing Miami to get away with being overly aggressive on defense up to now, I doubt they'll start changing their calls in the finals.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it bad that I actually kind of like Tim Donaghy? :(

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

funny how he didn't mention 3-4 calls that favor chicago each game. but i guess he wants to destroy the NBA.

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The Miami Heat are helping Miami's economy.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The NBA's entire marketing premise is to push their star players. Not a surprise that the refs follow suit. I agree with you though, as a defender it is nearly impossible to shut down a top 5 superstar when you get are competing against your opponent and the refs.

10. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

#51 BEAT LA, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Strange how the European leagues have no problem calling travels.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well it'll be karma for the Dal-Hou series where we were screwed.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I hope Mavs get screwed by the refs for the crap Cuban pulled off against the Rockets in the playoff series.

It will be well-deserved.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

NBA = WWF

1 person likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They already paid those dues in 2006 against Miami

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I am pron to typos but that isn't one. I said it very clearly, Brad and Peyton have to be tackled 'Correctly' every time or else the defender risks a penalty. If it is too low, roughing the passer...too high...roughing the passer. Yet there are times when lesser QBs like Matt Schaub are taking helmet to helmet shots and nothing gets called.

Point is, favoritism towards the big names happens in every sport.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I would just like to say that official is Steve Javie. He officiated game 7 of the Rockets/Mavs playoff series. He gave McGrady a tech early on in game 7.

Benette Salvator officiated game 5, which the Rockets lost 103-100.
    Dick Bavetta covered game four (Finley out of bounds), which the rockets lost 97-93.
    Scott Foster officiated game 3, which the Rockets lost 106-102

Dan Crawford officiated game 2. The Mavs are 1-15 in the games he's officiated. I think this may be what Tim Donaghy was referring to when he said he could guarantee 80% of his bets just by knowing something 20-30 minutes prior to a game.
    Dan Crawford also officiated game 1, along with Ken Mauer.

The Rockets simply beat the Mavs in game one by 12 points, and blew them out in game 6 by 18 points. McGrady stepped up in game two by hitting a clutch shot to win it. At the end of the game a win is a win and a loss is a loss no matter how much the point differential is.

Just by KNOWING the officials...

My premise is an obvious one. The teams with the most fans/largest market end up hurting the most.
    Why do the Lakers always go 7 games? This one is obvious.
    How could the Lakers get swept so easily this year? Lakers fans believed their team was gonna 3peat again.
    How could a team that barely made the playoffs beat a 67 win team that just made the finals the previous year? ...and so quickly?
    Why do so many fans in Houston bet on sports?

The last one annoys me.

And Memphis beating the Spurs...what was that about? It was fun to watch but everyone thought the Spurs would send it to game 7.

Something needs to be done about on-line betting.

#58 BEAT LA, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Thats what I said before. David Stern = Vince McMahon. Brad Miller = Stone Cold Steve Austin.

20. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Considering he served as a referee for 13 years at the professional level and was involved in the deliberate manipulation of games, I'd say he's a fairly credible source on the topic.