1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TILMAN LOVES KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 26, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Him speaking
    [​IMG]

ElPigto likes this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it, I'm having a hard time seeing how KPJ starts at PG next year. If we fall out of the top two picks that's one thing. But that would mean that they struck out completely in the free agent and trade markets in terms of getting a starting level PG. That could very well happen but I would be a little surprised.

I've thought about him moving to the 3. Which may be more probable for him to remain a starter. He would add shooting at the wing, but defensively he would have to become a monster. If he completely buys in to Ime's defensive philosophy that is is best path to remain a starter imo.

theDude and napalm06 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Guys TANKING teams start draft picks when they aren't NBA ready or have someone above them.

Even if we draft Scoot Henderson, he probably won't start, KPJ will still start, until Henderson overtakes him.

Kobe didn't start, most 18-19 year old's don't start - we were the exception because our whole team is young, but any 19 year old coming in now has someone more accomplished at the NBA level above them.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I thought he was just saying something nice because KPJ is the only player who showed up to the press conference. He didn't say a word about his game and he thought about it there for a second. That he had to qualify it with "I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it" tells me he couldn't say anything he MEANS about KPJ's on court game. Anyways, don't want to overanalyze but I can see why he got so much leash the past two seasons.

Look there's an excellent opportunity here for KPJ. This can go great for him. This can be what the Warriors were for Andrew Wiggins. Some guys are only motivated when the team is winning (Rasheed Wallace for example) and otherwise cause problems and do unprofessional things. He can try to beat out Green for the SG position (lol) or become a great 6th man for this team backing up both guard spots. At starting PG we certainly need a more mature floor general who will (not can) both make catch and shoot 3's and play good defense. If that vet is very old maybe KPJ can gradually outplay that guy because he still needs years to be a good floor general, it will probably be when he's over 25 years old.

I've always said, KPJ has all the tools. He's had coaches tailoring everything to him. No one ELSE is going to fix him. He's going to have to fix him and that's different than the rest of the squad. The rest of the squad has not had enough development time and attention as he has had, and they have responded better to it. KPJ's issue is about him and if he's looking for a savior, that ain't happening. That never happens.

The other players on the roster need to go work on their skills. Those are easy fixes. If I'm KPJ I would be in therapy 2-3 times a week this summer. It's ALL mental with him.

If we need more cap space KPJ is the #1 candidate to go. He's the biggest contract on the roster by far and an easily tradable one with those infinite team options (meaning he's an eternally expiring contract). We have something between $53-60M in cap space. If we needed $10m more to score an elite player, KPJ is going to be packaged with a mediocre draft pick and dumped onto a team that's renting out its cap space (SAS/IND/UTA).

I'm so happy that we have a coach who will f*ck you up if you give up on a play defensively or offensively. He will tell you to your face and then go tell the media what happened. If you don't do what's best for your brothers on the team, then you get fed to the dogs. I love it.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Tanking teams start shooting guards at the 1.

I'm expecting trade or free agency to rebalance our lack of ones and logjam of twos.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

wouldn't mind KPG keeping up with his 'bad boy style', as long as he stays away from the PG position or stays chill while being requested to play the six man role.

BamBam and Dredd like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Its only a matter of time til this ages just as well as the "we're doing this" with westbrick comment

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Dredd

Dredd Member

"Youth is not an excuse." -- Udoka

Scoot should start day 1 and expect to get league MVP.

DaDakota and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kobe is not a good comparison--he was drafted 13th. Nobody knew how good he was going to be at that point.

Over 90% of all NBA prospects picked in the top 2 start the majority of their rookie season games (usually all of them). And no, not all of those are on tanking teams due to transitions into trying to be competitive like ours, or draft pick trades, or things like that. For example, most recently, the Warriors started James Wiseman most of his rookie games when they got to pick him #2, up until he got hurt.

Mediocre NBA players like KPJ are no obstacle to prospects with Scoot Henderson's potential starting. He will immediately be the highest-upside player on our team if we get him. He will be handed the keys to the offense right away and will be thought of in NBA front offices as the guy we're building around.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Or maybe Ime is actually 6'5ish to Jaylen Browns 6'6 and Tatums 6'8 which still makes KPj look 6'4 as he was clearly shorter than Ime EDIT: Ime was officially listed at 6'6 which makes him probably a tall 6'4 without shoes. Where did you get 6'8 from?
    Even so, if Ime is 6'6 in shoes, Jaylen is clearly a BIG 6'6 pushing 6'7 on good days with a much more solid build to play the 3. I've always said Tatum looks taller than 6'8 so this image sort of confirms to me he's likely 6'9 ish.
    [​IMG]

BamBam likes this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

The updated to 6'9 LeBron James back in 2014 next to a kid Tatum who today is listed at 6'8. HOW did LeBron grow a full inch since he used to eye to eye with T-Mac and other 6'8 players? He's got to be on some really good experimental stuff.
    [​IMG]

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to get him out of that role altogether. If they draft Scoot (or any other PG), they need to also make a move for a vet that can start at that position and give steady production for a year or two until the drafted player takes over.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

HGH lol

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I imagine a lot of those that have issues with him realize he's skilled, but know the problems are in between the ears. Maybe Udoka can get through to him and he wakes up and deals with his issues. Maybe then he'll be a better teammate and make better decisions on the court.

As far as crow eating goes, that will be you when Jalen, Bari and Sengun are in their 4th year...

If not sooner.

#94 Believe It!, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Caesar likes this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Delete

#95 Believe It!, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    daywalker02 likes this.
  16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I get the feeling this will age beautifully on CFs.. i honestly hope you're right but it'll be so much funnier to me if he's packaged in a deal in a few months..

Believe It! and OremLK like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Or if we do land Scoot and he's immediately packing his bags in some draft day trade

javal_lon likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

KPJ is not ready to be Deleted yet.

Caesar likes this.
  19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Of course he's not.

That's why he showed up at the press conference.

Caesar likes this.
  20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Telling y’all KPJ is a prophet that has divine protection

I think KPJ is here to stay. Green will probably be out before him