1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillman gotta to keep Chris want to keep Clint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, May 28, 2018.

1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Problem with Paul is that as the Players Association president he's really obligated to get as much money as he possibly can. Taking a pay cut would be in the owners' interests, not the union's. But perhaps his being injury prone will dent his value enough that he won't command quite as much...

jboslett likes this.
  2. brosef

brosef Member

I hear you. But hes the guy this team needs to keep it together. Key is to find a way to make his money work for what we want to do. Whatever that may be. I think he wants to be here, he knows this is the place he can build the team he wants to finish his career with.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good. The owner recognizes that Clint is valuable, but he isn't worth the max. Keeping Chris is obviously a no-brainer. A 3 year contract with a cut, in order to acquire Lebron is what Houston needs.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Not really possible to sign and trade CP3 to teams above the cap, new CBA.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I get the variance.

I just contend that it ultimately won't work.

Like I said... IF CP3 stays healthy, maybe its a different story. But he didn't stay healthy. And not that they're equivalent injuries... but neither did Iguodala.

To your comment (though not your point I don't think), maybe Gordon gets injured next year.

Not that it can't work. I mean it worked for the Cavs where everyone stayed healthy and the Warriors ran into a tad bit of health combined with a tad bit of Draymond. Of course, then the Warriors added KD, lol.

It could still work for the Rockets, but ultimately you're playing a game of the lotto. Odds are super low. And maybe you've increased them every so slightly.

The interesting thing, to me, is that the Rockets granted we're the best regular season version of the Rockets ever first and foremost offensively, but we're a win away from the Finals against the greatest team on paper ever assembled because of first and foremost defensively. And because of CP3 they're older school super solid fundamentals player first and foremost, not Harden, their newer age 3's and layups only player. I mean it's impossible to fault the MDA hire... but for those of us that were confused as f' and hoping for defense, defense, defense and fundamental basketball with actual play calls and stuff... isn't that kind of what this series has pointed to a little bit? Sure, still talent rules all. A nd healthy talent is even better than that.

6. JayZ750

Dang! Not that it was happening anyway.

7. JayZ750

I mean... the Rockets don't have a lot of room to do much of anything. DM certainly has to get creative.

That said, whether CP3 is here for $1 or $35 million... if he's not healthy when needed most, what does it matter?

Hope he's healthy... add Lebron... cross fingers?

8. How Sweet It Is!

If they give CP3 a super-max and lose Capela it will be like the Barkley-Pippen fiasco. Capela is at least as valuable and is young and healthy.

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Yeah Stockton is really the outlier on guard still being productive in their late 30's. He was also pretty much an iron man playing 82 games a year 16 years out of 19, including not missing a game from 37-40 years old. Bigger players in general have a better chance of aging well as their size can help compensate for losing some athleticism.

Unfortunately the odds are more likely that CP3's injuries get worse and take longer to recover from as he ages, rather than the other way around. And even with no injuries, age alone tends to take away the quickness needed to play point guard at his size at an elite level past age 32. It's hard to see what the "better" option might be, but maxing CP3 for 5 years has a high chance of 2-3 of those years being similar to where Ryan Anderson is now as far as his impact on the cap vs production, in addition to the constant risk of him getting hurt even when he is still playing at an elite level.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Maxing our CP3 is a mistake, this injury should serve as a reminder as to why. Capela is almost perfect for this team so huge mistake if we don’t resign him, though I feel like we might sign a 3pt shooting big and just double down on our philosophy.

11. JayZ750

Good point on the guard thing.

Obviously modern day health management has come a long way. But people forget guys like Isiah - retired after his 32 year old season.

This article is a year old, but shows how "thin" actual talent is in the NBA at 30 or older.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-ranking-the-best-30-players-over-30#slide30

Betting on CP3 to get less injured as he gets older and older is insane.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He already took a pay cut to do the opt in and trade.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Technically, but it was still the max he could earn from the Rockets.

The next question is how much of a pay cut are we really talking about to make a difference for the Rockets? What other team that CP3 would have any interest in, would be willing and able to pay more? The flip side is that he isn't really giving a discount if nobody else is offering more. All the concerns expressed here would be shared with any other team considering offering him a max deal.

14. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

youll never have a chance at a championship

15. izeroi

izeroi Member

Agreed 100%. Capella is not a max player, so if he commands that from another team (Suns) then you don't match.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Our best lineup against the Warriors did not include Capela
    So . . .replace Capela with LeBron alone

Harden - CP3 - LeBron - Tucker - Ariza
    would kill teams

As for the DWade and Bosh comparison is that
    If Either Bosh or DWade were HARDEN he would have stayed in Miami

Rocket River

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

gsw relied on injury prone steph being healthy

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why? i want to keep him no matter what... he is a joy to watch

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I just see this as public negotiations between. Clints agent and the rockets who dont want to max him out but want him back.

I want him back. What im opposed to is letting Clint walk for nothing. Thats worst case