1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillman Culture Reset?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Sep 17, 2020.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

Tillman stated that our organization is going to undergo a culture reset. The only precedence I can see for a “culture reset” was when Masai Ujiri initiated it in Toronto after they had it losing to Lebron. Any idea what this can mean for us? Maybe it will be more evident with our coach hire? Maybe Tillman is finally going to do something other than constantly cutting costs to get under the tax? This is an interesting read that could be what our 2020-21 Rockets team is going to be like:

https://www.tsn.ca/inside-the-raptors-behind-the-scenes-culture-reset-1.1051282

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Here's a hint.

If it's got Tilman's fingerprints, it won't be a positive for the team.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

1/2 appetizers at Toyota center Landry’s restaurants

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I wish I could disagree with you, but alas....

5. JW86

JW86 Member

In this case it’s not real since being a loudmouth redneck who gets angry and thinks “just win” but don’t spend too much money is the definition of lunacy.

harold bingo, TheFreak and Jontro like this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

welcoming the era of michael and patrick frittata. may it be long and prosperous.

CometsWin and pippendagimp like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Danuel House horny story can't be happening to a winning team IMO..... they are not Sacramento.

Players have to be disciplined.

I'd rather Tilman spends more than a culture reset.

Hank McDowell and DaneB like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You're asking US what Tilman meant by saying that? Trust me, HE doesn't even know what he meant when he said that. The guy doesn't know anything about sports. He just talks to talk. So... shut up and listen I guess?

tycoonchip, Space Ghost and DaneB like this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

From what I could glean from the article where he mentioned a “culture reset“, he’s looking to implement more of an angry sports talk radio caller mindset into the organization. Sounds like a winning formula if I ever saw one.

CometsWin and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Good thing his mob friends are good at cleaning...uhh Tilman's fingerprints.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Will the new culture have the players work harder to increase their heights?

CometsWin likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Daryl Morey after Tilman said he was weak in the knees and to complete the Westbrook deal.

This is the new culture folks......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

treyk3, Rudyc281 and RayRay10 like this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

As a UH supporter, and knowing what Tilman has said and done there...he's looking for someone to come in and be a forceful lead of the team. He loved Tom Herman (now UT football coach) and his style...Herman was a hard-ass that controlled everything, but the players loved him once they made it through the challenge Herman put in front of them (his cowardly leaving at the end notwithstanding).

When Herman left, we went with Major Applewhite...who was just a guy...was intelligent, but wasn't forceful, tended to be more compassionate with the players and didn't push them as hard. We dealt with two seasons of Applewhite who just wasn't the right person for that role and the program was going in the toilet two years after upsetting Oklahoma and Louisville and 3 years after the Peach Bowl win over FSU. Tilman basically said screw this, and went with another guy that can be a hard-ass, but also has a system in place that has worked elsewhere (Dana Holgersen...who also was his friend). First year sucked, but we were going to suck no matter who was there based on the schedule and the depth. Figure Dana will get us pushed forward...but, it still isn't the same as Herman.

But, then, Tilman loves Sampson (after some testy contract battles that almost saw Sampson leave...now, they're simpatico). He loves that Sampson has built a culture and succeeded in rebuilding a moribound program (30 years between NCAA appearances) and made it a national contender. Sampson is a lot like Herman...he pushes his players, gets in their face, but also has a compassionate side that makes his players go to war for him.

My guess is, since Tilman can't hire a drinking buddy like Holgersen to be his coach, he wants someone in the mold of Tom Herman and Kelvin Sampson and what they did at UH. He wants a similar transformation with the Rockets. Problem is, I don't know who fits that role in the pros of the candidates out there. I'd like to think someone like Silas can be that for Houston...since he's come up under Carlisle, but that's a tough situation for a first time head coach. After that, I'm just not sure.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Lip service. He’s a salesman.

34to11 and daywalker02 like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't think that style works as well in the pros as it does in college. NBA task masters get old really fast unless they win quickly.

34to11 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Go back to the old tradition of the ketchup and mustard days.

He already brought back the uniforms.
    Now we need to redesign our ugly court.

And hire either Sam Cassell or Stephen Silas

RustyHarden and RayRay10 like this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I agree...and it probably won't work with a veteran team like the Rockets.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Good discussion going on Twitter:

Deckard likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Who owns the Raptors?*
    (Hint: It's not Ujiri, he's the team's president.)

If you can't answer the question off the top of your head, that demonstrates the difference between their franchise and ours: Both have quality front-office personnel, but only one has a publicity-hungry, cheap, meddling owner.

* They're owned by Larry Tanenbaum and Rogers Communications.

#19 topfive, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We need a good coach... not just a good system. Where can we find one? Morey is fine, but coaches are the ones who bring the sauce.