1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ticketmaster was better than this crap. Rockets charge outrageous fees for tickets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by persian hoopa, Oct 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. moomoo

moomoo Member

If you voted for the arena, it's not a$$ raping, it's consensual sodomy.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This is one of the many reasons this will probably be my last year as a season ticket holder.

I love the Rockets, but their business and marketing dept could care less about the average fan.

**** em!

3. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

As far as I know, The ticketing company is run by the arena whose lease is held by __________. Give up?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I guess I'm not going to any games this year. I spent a $1000 bucks on tickets last year but I hate getting screwed so I'm going to watch the games on TV this season.

5. boki94eva

boki94eva Member

Didn't we have an attendance problem last year? Im sure more expensive tickets, a lack of parking, and the same STELLAR team are going to make fans fill the seats.

Seriously, it just makes me shake my head and wonder how youre supposed to support a team that makes it so damn hard for a true fan to get inside the door.

You know what? If they want attendance, SHOW ME SOMETHING. Put up the Ws, be consistent and make the games exciting, otherwise im gonna sit my brown ass on my couch with my $2.50 6-pack of High Life and chill.

6. Subliminal Shot

Subliminal Shot Contributing Member

I just desterbed my universities whole computer lab because I was laughing so loud and it started a chain of my friends laughing.
    Quite posibly the most disturbing, yet fundamentally sound reasoning that I've heard at this site. haha

:cool:

7. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

I heard on the 610 Sports babble that the price of the parking garage is like $15 bucks. So after you are finished getting bent over with online fees be prepared to bend over again when you are ready to park. Of course you could have all your friends who are going to the game with you pile into your car and split the cost equally. I figure if you pile like 10-12 buds into a VW bug you could get it down to around $1.50 to park. Not bad for downtown.....and you get to use the cool new skywalk that connects to the stadium. Now that right there is worth $1.50, dont' ya think??

I guess I'll be putting up with Murph's loud ass suits and often vociferous commentary on KNWS 51

GO ROCKETS!!!

8. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

how much is the parking there?

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Freaking epic. This is the exact reason people wont drive 1 hour from Katy to attend a Rockets game on a Tuesday night in January.

Couch - Free
    TV playing game - $.50 of electricity
    6 pack of High Life - $2.50
    Totinos frozen pizza - $1.25
    Air Conditioning during game - $.45 of electricity

So for $4.70 I can enjoy roughly the same ammentities as Toyota Center, only I have a front row seat, and can sit in my Lazy Boy?

Looks like the Rockets need to do a better job with their ticket prices.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Parking shouldn't be a problem. From all I've heard, there is $5 parking a few blocks away, just like at Minute Maid Park. Apparently, you were paying for parking at Compaq in teh ticket price (or, someone at some ticket level was paying for your parking). $5 bucks really isn't big deal, imo.

THe online prices are ridiculous. Besides the fact that they are high as crap, why should it cost more to get more tickets?

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's no reason to include this, unless you are one of those guys that turns off your a/c when you leave for a few hours - it would be running regardless. :D

12. rocketinmypants

We need to clarify on that garage. This is what I read from an article from the Chron:

Link: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/03/arena/2133336

So what I gather from that is regular joes with regular tickets can't park in that garage. Gotta love Le$.

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hey man, that's the champagne of beers!

14. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

You know, for most games, if I'm just into watching the game, the players, the strategy, etc...I almost prefer to watch them on television. The advantages of going to the game are all about sharing the experience with firends, the atmosphere, and the slightly different perspective on players, etc...but depending on where your tickets are, I actually SEE the game better on tv, strategically, if not tactically or emotionally.

But for a big, important game, there's nothing like being there...

Above is not true for hockey...Unless you've been to a game, you get absolutely no sense of how fast the players and the game move on television. Not my favorite sport to watch, but the one in which being in person offers the greatest difference and appreciation of the game than on television. Not talking about atmosphere, etc...just watching.

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Man, that $hit is just excessive. If they are going to charge fees, which they shouldn't, they should be on a sliding scale.

How about 10% total service charge per ticket, capping out at $5 per ticket or $20 per total transaction.

Look Les, do you want to put asses in the seats or not? Let me give ya a hint: the little guy is getting screwed already, and he resents it. If you try to screw him, then he will take his entertainment dollars elsewhere.

Hell, I bet Roc Paint could put on a nice Rockets viewing party for a better price at the place he manages, and the scenery would be pretty damn good too.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

The chronicle said people were paying 20 bucks too park for the fleetwood mack concert. Really pissed some people off. If you ask me, building 1 billion dollars in stadiums for houston was ridiculous. To add insult to injury, the seats are overpriced and the teams get paid by company's to name the stadiums WE built! I am not a supporter of citywide sponsorship of millionaires (owners/players) and voted against every single one of the things.

My personal favorite? Reliant Stadium. We paid for it, and then Reliant paid to name it. Not surprisingly, after Relient named it, rates went up.

We paid to build it, and then had to pay to name it.

How nice. I switched to Green Mountain Energy but the bitter taste is still in my mouth.

--rhad

17. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

i really hope somebody is reading this (Tim? Le$? etc.) and realizing that people are PISSED!!!

the rockets management and marketing are really disenfranchising their fans. if they would just read what's being posted here, they'd realize that there's a near fan revolt taking place!!!

i observed that more than half the people here who have bought season or single tickets in the past have decided to NOT go the ARENA and will INSTEAD watch it on TV at HOME.

i agree these fees are RIDICULOUS. especially since they're being charged for online sales with little overhead...an average of $10 "convenience" charge per ticket (especially on a $10 ticket???) purchased online constitutes financial rape and is unjustified, imo. at least these fees should include parking.

le$, tim, whoever...take a good hard look. even some of your hardcore fans (and the little guys are usually the most hardcore, not those corporate accounts) are turning away in DISGUST.

biting the hands that feed you is not a good idea, les(t) you want your own ass bitten!

:mad:

18. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I can top all of you!!!

I ordered the tickets (online at rockets.com) for the game and paid extra to have them shipped to me next day (on top of the stupid fees - wanted to make sure they got there in time). Anyways, they called me today to say they were unable to ship them that I need to pick them up at the arena (will call).

When I asked if I get the shipping and handling refunded, I was told NO!

What's up with that?

I guess I am only going to one game this year........... The rest I'll watch from the comfort of my living room.........

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And with that I think Rocketball has jumped into the lead...

That's nuts.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Uhh....that's just wrong. Call Marvin Zindler now.

The Rockets are a business that makes choices.

Choice A)
    A full arena of mostly white collar people who aren't Rockets fans but got ticket hookups from their companies.

Choice B)
    A half full arena of die hard loyal Rockets fans, of whom only a small percentage can pay superhigh fees.

Of course, the Rockets want to please everyone and make money at best. But sacrifices have to be made. It's not that they don't care about the average fan, but that they care about rich fans, and filling their own pockets more.

Now unless some of y'all want to band together and go Jihad against the Rockets org (something I'd actually do when I'm 80 and have nothing to live for...seriously), there's nothing you can do except not go to the games. But if enough people do and they profit enough, the Rockets new policies won't change.