1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tick, Tock..........................................

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gascon, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

Another night marked by Sleep's steadfast refusal to be my bedfellow. Another long vigil, a bitter string of musings sparked with the hope of finding slumber and remarkable only in their uniform failure to do so. Another festival of fatigue.

Nights like this have become so familiar that I have begun to think of them as an old friend. I imagine that those that go through boot camp develop similar relationships. You get to know a person, you go through Hell with them, you're around that person so much that you begin to recognize their rythms. It is much the same for me and nights like this particular night here with me now. All I can do is sigh with more than a little resignation, smile with more than a little irony, and welcome my friend once again into my home with more than a little whiskey. [​IMG]

My usual routine is to try and find a really bad book, as there is nothing more condusive to sleep than a really bad book, but the failed logic of this exercise has occurred to me a little earlier than it is usually want. I don't own any bad books. If I did, I would be kept up by the nagging confusion as to why I had bought the crappy book in the first place. Complicating this matter further, I would be further troubled by the fact that I hadn't discarded said literature upon the discovery of its afore-mentioned craptitude. However, being a man of discriminating taste and a rather gripping fear of poor literature being found on my shelves by those who know better, I own no bad books. Thus, tonight I opt for the internet. Lucky you.

Curiosity has decided to crash my party now and brings me in a rather circumspect manner round to my point, and the point of this post.

Insomnia.

What a loaded word.

I am curious. Anyone else, to quote the bard(and to misuse the quote at that [​IMG] ), "dwell in solemn shades of endless night"? Do any of you find Dawn too often a halfway point instead of a beginning to your day? If so, what do you do about it? I would be interested in learning of any non-medicinal methods any of you may have found in order to find Sleep a willing bedfellow. Believe it or not, I try to keep away from narcotics, though my writing style would seem to hint otherwise. Alcohol and I have a rather monogomous relationship, I try not to cheat and keep it my only vice. Any suggestions?

I realize the tone of this post is rather....well, odd. But I'm afraid that I'm truly exhausted, and the lack of sleep is making me lean into the realm of melodrama. I really would appreciate any advice, ideas, stories.....whatever. Feel free to share if you have similar experience. Being able to ask advice of a large group of anonomous strangers is a luxury, and one I try not to misuse or take for granted. Any help or addition you deem prudent would be greatly appreciated. Anything not particularly prudent would at the very least be entertaining.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go see if the ceiling moved at all since the last time I stared at it.

------------------
    Gascon

2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Welcome to the insomniacs club, I too am a fellow member.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

3. red

red Contributing Member

i watch the same dvd over and over and over and over and over again. than i watch it one more time jerk off and hit myself with a baseball bat. puts me to sleep everytime. waking up is a different story...

------------------

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Last night you slept, you slept in fits
    You smashed your windows bit by bit
    You cried out-a bad dream
    Horror pictures-what a scene

Which way will things go tonight
    Toss and turn or sleep tight
    You can't win you wonder why
    That sleep is one thing you can't buy

You can't walk in your sleep
    If you can't sleep
    If you can't sleep

Downed that pill hours ago
    And time is passing oh so slow
    Watch the clock-you're waiting
    It's five o' clock and the world is waking

That's the way things went tonight
    Tossed and turned though you were tight
    Exhaustion brings on desperation
    Well there's still some consolation

If you can't sleep
    If you can't sleep

"Rock stars, is there anything they don't know?"

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited July 09, 2001).]

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'm staying up all night to watch the Wimbledon Final. Whooo hoooo!!!!

Just 17 minutes to go!

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

AAAhhhhhhhhhh! I'm losing my mind! Must...sleep...must......sleep.........must............sleeppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.

NO, MUST WATCH WIMBLEDON!

RAFTER OVER GORON IN 5! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OYE OYE OYE! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OYE OYE OYE! AUSSIE! OYE! AUSSIE! OYE! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OYE OYE OYE!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

At first, I thought you were talking about another poster. I was wondering, "Who is Sleep?" [​IMG]

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"Up all night
    Sleep all day"

-Slaughter

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Gascon, do you still have any of your old college textbooks [​IMG] They should put you right to sleep- works for me every time- which is bad when I really need to study.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

11. Gascon

Gascon Member

That's a good idea, Baqui.....however, I believe I burned all of those at my graduation party.

I've moved on from trying to sleep and am now relying on coffee to get to tonight, where I'm assuming I will finally collapse.

------------------
    Gascon