1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thursday, February 10 2022 NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Jan 11, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I.D.I.O.T.

Who do they think they are?

Jerami Grant did torch them.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

LePonzi James.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Don't think his name really came up this trade cycle, but wow.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

LePonz

i3artow i3aller and daywalker02 like this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'll admit, it's a bit lonely without Brabra. Now I have to sift through a sea of idiots rather than just having my go to idiot.

pippendagimp and jiggyfly like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey projecting supreme confidence, like we’re absolutely getting Chris Bosh and (later) Jimmy Butler confidence. :D:rolleyes:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/nba-tra...ryl-morey-seth-curry-point-guard-latest-news/

The Sixers are sending a clear message: they view signing Harden outright as a real possibility. If the Sixers eventually need to move Tobias Harris in order to clear the cap space necessary to sign Harden in the summer, sources familiar with the situation say they have two potential suitors with cap space lined up who they could move Harris to if they need to clear the decks. The pick-collecting Thunder are an obvious team to watch. Whether you believe that’s a central part of their plan or a threat meant to bring down the Nets’ current ask, that’s the word that keeps slipping out.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-76ers-trade-ben-simmons-brooklyn-nets-james-harden-20220209.html

Multiple sources said the Nets and Sixers engaged in trade discussions Tuesday and bickered over pieces to add a potential deal.

Sources also confirmed that the Sixers have had conversations with the Oklahoma City Thunder about Tobias Harris. A person close to the Sixers downplayed the discussions as just one of several teams with a bunch of available cap space who’ve inquired about taking in salary in exchange for draft picks. The person says has Harris nothing to be concerned about.

The Sixers are confident that they can get Harden this summer. But even being 100% confident Harden will come to town might not justify what would be perceived as wasting one of Embiid’s prime seasons. The Sixers want to continue winning, and know Harris is vital to their success. So it would be hard to imagine them moving him to OKC this week.

Let’s look at the scenario some around the league are talking about, anyway.

There have been whispers about the possibility of the Sixers shipping Harris to the Thunder before the deadline as a salary-cap dump.

If that happens, some expect the Sixers will attempt to dump Simmons’ salary to another team that can take on his contract in exchange for assets around June’s draft.

The salary cap for next season is $121 million and the Sixers currently have an active roster cap hit of $150 million for the 2022-23 campaign. The Sixers would need to shed $76 million in order to offer Harden the $47 million he would lose by leaving Brooklyn. So the Sixers would definitely have to get rid of Harris (who’s scheduled to make $37.6 million next season) and Simmons ($35.4 million) and to sign Harden as an unrestricted free agent.

With around $32 million in cap space, the Thunder can manipulate their salary cap to take on Harris’ salary. But for OKC to take on that huge contract, the Sixers would have to add assets — either draft picks or young players — to make that deal work.

It would most likely have to be a down-the-line pick, with the Thunder already acquiring picks. But that’s not the best option and perhaps an unrealistic one at this point.

But this a move the Sixers could make in June. As The Athletic pointed out, they could also waive Harris in the offseason and stretch the remaining two years of his contract over five years at $13.5 million per year.

Doing that, and trading Furkan Korkmaz to a team that will pay the $5 million he’s set to make next season could free up around $46 million for Harden next season. Sources has said the Indiana Pacers had some interest, thinking he could flourish with a change of scenery. If they don’t want to trade Korkmaz, they could waive three of the four players — Shake Milton (team option), Isaiah Joe, Paul Reed, and Charles Bassey — with non-guaranteed deals or a team option for next season.

[…]

Publicly, the Nets say they want to keep Harden for the rest of the season.

However, sources say they’re split behind closed door. Some want to get rid of him now, thinking that he’s quit on the team and is destroying the chemistry. Harden has publicly told his teammates, coaches and team personnel that he wants to stay in Brooklyn. However, word keeps leaking out that he wants to play for the Sixers.

While valid or not, some in New York and around the league are questioning the severity of the left hamstring tightness that sidelined him the past three games. There are also some who believe things will get better once Kevin Durant returns from injury. They think everything will be fine if the Nets win the NBA title.

But what if they don’t? Brooklyn must think long and hard about what it will do because the Sixers may have options available to get him no matter what the Nets decide.

And it doesn’t help matters that the Sixers are confident he’ll be on the team next season.

#89 J.R., Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  10. i3artow i3aller

11. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

From what I have read or haven't read, the mishandling of Boston's assets and players isn't talked enough. Besides the Js, who are a bad match like CJ and Dame, what do they have to show for all those squandered assets? I hope we don't hold on to EG because we followed the same path as Ainge. I just don't see his value staying this high in the offseason. His real value is this year's playoffs with no true number 1 contender, especially with how efficiently EG is shooting the ball. There is no guarantee he will shoot like this again. It feels more like an outlier of a season.

Kim likes this.
  12. i3artow i3aller

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Prelude to the Harden trade.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Always a thin line.

On one hand, you want as much value back for your assets as possible. On the other hand, you don't want to be taken advantage of - especially since you're so new to this, like Stevens is.

jiggyfly and i3artow i3aller like this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Blazers involved in 3 trades already.

Rockets, be alarm.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Did not expect Utah to ship Joe Ingles! o_O

18. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

hes out for the season