1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thunder fans losing it because Rockets got Anfernee Şengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Aug 12, 2021.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Presti seems to be holding out for that home run Lebron type player. He didn't see that in what he could get in this draft so he piled up two more chances (remote).

Its a all or nothing approach whereby if he succeeds, he will be cheered. But if enough time passes with no super dude in the fold, the cheers will become jeers instead. Its already begun apparently.

2. 34to11

34to11 Member

Disagree.
    Start to finish.

SGA is NOT an All-Star, at least not yet, and there is nothing on the rest of their roster that would make me rate it above Houston's.
    The Rockets just had a phenomenal draft and were able to do in one year what would take most franchises 3 or 4 seasons to accomplish. A complete franchise reset with foundational talent and superstar potential PLUS a plethora of assets to fuel the rebuild going forward.

And you want to trade Wood, a relatively young, extremely gifted big who is just starting to come into his own, for what? More mystery boxes?
    The same Wood who, by the way, got more All-Star votes (fans, players, and media) than SGA, the basis of your OKC > HOU argument?
    The same Wood who chose the Rockets and by all accounts still wants to be here despite enduring the historic sh!tshow that was their 20-21 season?
    I just don't see the logic.

Also can we finally dispel the foolish notion that the talent on a championship caliber team all have to be in the same age group?

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Unless you’re at a teenage level of emotional development. Then it’s all hot pockets, Taco Bell and Totino’s pizza.

….

Are we still talking metaphorically?

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Rockets situational upside > Thunder situational upside

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I disagree with this premise.

OKC are head of rebuild because of their insane stash of picks, OKC fans criticizing Presti only understand checkers while Presti is out there playing 3D chess.

Yeah Rox did an amazing job rebuilding with a bunch of guys but they are literally year 1 of rebuild, OKC has been rebuilding since SGA's 2nd year. Not only that Rox really only had Harden as a high value asset, OKC made a profit from PG13, WB and Cp3. Double profit from Cp3 tbh. Their GM is smart and will continue to tank for picks to get more assets. I think maybe OKC whiffed on Kuminga (had no clue why they took Giddey lol), but they'll be able to recover easily in future drafts and tbh Giddey himself isnt that bad of a prospect.

As good as the Rox core is right now if you ask them to trade every asset Rox have with OKC the Rox would be dumb to turn it down. I mean SGA alone is like a Harden replacement, Green and KPJ may also be st that level but SGA is a known commodity already.

Franchise guy: SGA
    High potential players: Poku, Dort, Tre Mann, Giddey, JRE
    1 bajillion picks

If they wanted to they prob could have made a grandfather offer that Detroit wouldnt be able to refuse, good thing they didnt sell the entire farm for Cade lol.

#45 roslolian, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Astrodome likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Came here to post Penny Sengun. It works because he gets to the free throw line so much.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

With their assets, they should be able to draft banchero or chet next year. But they will either have to suck badly or trade multiple future 1s.

I like our situation. I feel like stone had a gameplan if we didnt go 1-4 with the ping pong balls and decided to make that scenario happen as well.

Deckard and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Fans cant wait 1 season thats the problem. Every year they wanna **** happen now and then next year they blame the owner or GM for being short sighted.

It's not an all or nothing approach they literally got Giddey who is a 6'8 pg and Poku who is a unicorn prospect, look at Poku man there's little difference between him and Mobley so far. Giddey ubfortunately sprained his leg but if he was able to play there wouldnt be a lot of complaining fans.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Danny AInge syndrome.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you look at their draft picks the only ones looking to be significant would be the Rockets 2024 and 2025 picks protected for 1-4. The 2025 Swap isn’t worth too much, because I do believe the Rockets are in a better position to succeed by then and the swap won’t be exercised. Most of their picks (other than their own and Rockets) are heavily protected. Useful in trades, but the Rockets should be much more attractive to free agents by 2025. If Wood stays healthy all year, I think the Rockets and Thunder will have similar records this upcoming season. Once Wall and Gordan are gone, we will have massive cap space. Oklahoma has a lot and will continue to have a lot because they won’t be able to sign a FA superstar and most gm’s also take into account a player’s preference (to a certain extent) as to making trades of all-stars. We might not currently be ahead, but should be way ahead by 2024.

11. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

My Indian friend started calling him Jay Gupta so i have followed suit.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer our rebuild.

Jalen Green >>> ANYTHING OKC has.

And after that, I'll take the absurd potential of KPJ, KJM, Sengun, Usman, Tate, C-Wood over the expensive ass non-factor named Shai Alexander.

All of that said, I am extremely biased.

13. HROZ

HROZ Member

Tbh I couldn't be happier with our offseason

Sengun
    Wood
    Tate
    Green
    PorterJr

I'm hoping that's our Starting 5 for the next 8 years. That's how much faith I have in all of them in such a short time.

Garuba & Christopher have been solid too. They could be our 6th / 7th man really have no complaints atm.

Hoping we get another backup PG or Brooks develops into a great one.

And another forward. This is more important as Wood Tate House become unrestricted free agents soon.
    MartinJr continuing to develop helps too.

14. showa13

showa13 Member

Eh, I think Presti is waiting for the right move to make, although I think the fan base wants that move sooner than later. He’s being patient, but it’s getting to the point where it’s almost to a fault.

Danny Ainge grossly overvalued his assets and subsequently didn’t make too many moves cause he thought his 1 dollar bill was worth 6 dollars(analogy)

Deckard, jim1961 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, but who trades the home run Lebron number one for say three other first round picks unless they are all in the top 10 or higher.
    Besides Houston can sign the Poku and others when they end their rookie contracts and are looking for an international city.

jim1961, conquistador#11 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Today I learned OKC has no fine dining in that town. They aint even got hot pockets.

Maybe I should start shipping them to those slack jaw yokels and make a killing off them.

Drift Monkey and ickaruto like this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Okc’s stash of future picks are dependent on other teams being bad. LAC just resigned Leonard and PG isn’t going anywhere, those picks are useless. HOU leapfrogged their roster which renders the pick swaps useless. OKC doesn’t have nearly as bright the future as some would make it out to be and their fans are rightfully frustrated. Presti is a smart gm and has been making smart moves, problem is sometimes smart people can outsmart themselves.

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The NBA TV guy called him "SHUNN-GINN" last night for god's sake. Granted, those two announcers last night were among the two worst I have ever heard (they never once mentioned Jalen's injury). But his name is going to be mispronounced forever. It's AL-PURR-IN SHINN-GOON, right?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think Presti is very overrated as a drafter. He really hasn’t any good player since Steven Adams.

Drift Monkey and 34to11 like this.
  20. vince

vince Member

The Rockets rebuild is on potential of guys actually panning out. They made a big push this year - and I like the talent they brought in (I am stoked about the potential _ and A+++ draft in my opinion). The Rockets got some highly talented players, but they are all 19 years of age.

And the 19 is the big thing. When players needed to go to college for 3 years after high school, the guys getting drafted at the top of the draft didn't correspond directly with the college recruiting classes three years prior. Between 19 and 22 some guys progress, others regress as their body fills in. Nonetheless, strength by numbers. If one of the 4 guys become a perennial all-star, it was a win!!! And all 4 have very good possibilities of being special. Can they all achieve that status, time will tell.

Therefore OKC, is trying to establish a slow but steady process of staying a top once the reach it.

But I think both teams are doing it in their own style.

xaos and hakeem94 like this.