1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thugs will be thugs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yonizzel, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

just came across an interesting set of game notes, from game 4 of playoffs series in 2006, between mavs and phoenix suns.

its at http://www.nba.com/suns/playoffs/tribune_notes_060602.html

basically it shows 4 people fighting with each other over BS that were involved in the rockets mavs game earlier this week.

They are: Tim Thomas, Dirk Nowitzki, Mark Cuban, and Shawn Marion

The seeds for Thursday's face-to-face taunting match between Dirk Nowitzki and Tim Thomas — and the air-kiss Thomas ultimately sent in Dirk’s direction — were planted in Game 4 when Thomas grew tired of Nowitzki’s constant complaints to the officials.

“I was telling Steve Nash (after Game 4), I’ve never seen Dirk talk so much trash and talk to the officials as he has in this series,” Thomas said before the game. “Maybe he thinks a player of a certain stature should be able to go to the refs and get the calls he wants.”

Things boiled over with 40 seconds left in the first half when technical fouls were handed to each when a fight for the ball during a change of possession deteriorated into a taunting match. Nowitzki said it was no big deal, but Thomas — as was the case all night — saw things another way.

“I was trying to get the ball away from him to get it out quick and he threw it at me, then he tried to slap it away again,” he said. “Where I’m from (New Jersey), if I was to get punked by him, I’d never be able to go back. I don’t want to say what he said, there are ladies around. If I could say it, I would.”

Thomas scored a career playoff-high 26 points, but Nowitzki blew that away with 50 points, hitting 17 of 18 free throws. Four of them came on technical fouls (three) and defensive violations (one) against Phoenix. Two were called back-to-back on Raja Bell and coach Mike D’Antoni with the Mavericks leading by one with nine minutes left.

“Dirk shot 18 free throws,” Thomas said. “That about sums it up. His game plan was working.”

AND

CUBAN CRISIS

Cuban told TNT that he will send a videotape to the NBA league office regarding a fourth-quarter incident between Suns forward Shawn Marion and the Mavericks' Adrian Griffin. Cuban claimed Marion threw an intentional elbow at Griffin.

Marion scoffed at Cuban's allegation, saying, "I didn't throw an elbow at him. I'm not a dirty player. I don't throw elbows. He grabbed me, and I told him ‘You don't grab me like that.’ ’’

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's almost 4 yrs old...things like that happen, i wouldnt read too much into it.

3. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

find me a time when shane battier was involved in an altercation

things dont just happen, they happen and reoccur to people who provoke them

4. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

cuban is a hypocrite.

5. matthappy

matthappy Member

agree cuban is a hypocrite~~~jerk

sucks mavs~

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

And now all those involved parties are a happy family holding each other's hands.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

When Shane got angry at some Lakers player for kneeing him in the balls (most likely unintentionally) during a pick and roll.

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

Dirk and Tim Thomas are thugs? Can you be soft and thuggish at the same time?

I wish Shane Battier had some thug in his game. He'd be the best defender in the league if he played a little dirty. Everyone loves how classy Shane is, our fans and opposing fans. That in itself is a problem, I wish opposing fans hated Shane.

9. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I wonder how my friends who work in Dallas put up with Dallas..

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am disappointed this thread wasn't titled after Ron Artest.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Shane Battier has never been made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs either, I guess it's not a coincidence.

12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

So because Shane plays with class and doesn't play like a douchebag that makes him incapable of getting out of the second round? Next time you have a thought just stop.