1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[throwback VIDS] 04.03.98 Rockets vs Jordan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

[​IMG]
    RELIVE IT!

I was looking through my basketball videos I've collected over the past 2-3 years and actually came across a Rockets/Bulls game! Sadly, this isn't the Houston Rockets of the Glory Days but it was still a great team. This game was actually Jordan's final game against the Rockets as a Bull. It pains me to think that the Rockets team the year before would have faced the Bulls in the Finals if it wasn't for the bear hug. :mad: Also, please don't turn this into another bickering/bashing thread. If you got any childish comments to make, save them for the other threads floating around.

I tried to do the highlights "R2K style" (all Rocket scores and extras) and also included all the Jordan highlights (sorry MJ haters :p ). You'll get to see Vintage Chuck and his "back it in, back it in, back it in", Dream with a assortment of moves, Elie's hustle, TURBO!, EJ hitting threes, Clyde gliding, even highlights of legendary Rockets, Matt Maloney, Othella Harrington, Kevin Willis and Joe Stevens :eek: . Oh yeah, MJ drops 40 too. We end up losing the game, 109 to 94.

HQ Video Download - http://www.sendspace.com/file/9cm2cr

Youtube version:

Part 1
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S0-PVYonQ8U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S0-PVYonQ8U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Part 2
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OnhbuvmiD_g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OnhbuvmiD_g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ENJOY!

2. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Jordan without air back in 04 season but it's still a classic game. Thanks!

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

wow jordan drained 40... sounds like Mike

4. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Man Mike was something special to watch. At the age of 35 he was still able to drop 40 on any given night.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

anybody else remember this matchup being delayed like 45 minutes because of GOLF?

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

btw, this game was scottie pippen's audition to join the rockets.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, we were fooled. that guy was never worth the max salary.
    one of the worst decisions in franchise history. history showed pippen was just riding Jordan's coattails and could never be the 'man' in pressure situations.
    never could be the 'man' when he got traded to portland. however, history was good for robert horry who in the matchups with pippen walked away the hero.

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Wow, those are some AWESOME uniforms :rolleyes:

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Do you think we get past the Lakers if we didn't have Pippen? I know you remember Pippen slipping, falling and losing the ball with like 7 secs left after Dream had just put us up by two points. Talk about a choke job. Pip choked hard on this one. I remember the Lakers being just as surprised as the Rockets when Pippen "slipped" for almost no reason. :eek:

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i like to pretend they never happened.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and then went to the locker room and blamed barkley to the media.

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

Wow, I saw Joe Stephens. I really wish he had been able to get more pt back in the day.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Well, if you look at how much we paid Pippen.. THE MAX.. we could have gotten much better players knowing what we know now for cheap.

Who knows, the Lakers were a team on the rise, we couldn't match their athleticism, the team was getting old and we did the dumb thing and got an old player disguising himself as a top player.

I remember "TOP 50 Player of ALL TIME" Scottie Pippen passing up a shot to "ROOKIE" Cuttino Mobley.
    I remember "Top 50 Player of ALL TIME" Scottie not wanting to be back with the Rockets despite the Rockets getting Steve Francis.
    I remember Kobe totally destroying "Top 50 Player of ALL TIME" Pippen.
    I was watching this with Laker fans and was the only Rockets fan. Oh yes I remember.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I'll tell you how much I hate Scottie Pippen.

Because of him, I saved up enough cash to buy Courtside seats (right behind the backboard) so I can heckle him (when he went to the Blazers). The Compaq center booed Pippen EVERY TIME HE TOUCHED THE BALL!!

Who said Rocket fans weren't passionate!

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Your analysis of Pippen's character is spot-on, but you are letting your hatred distort your memory of his earlier career. It's like trying to deny Dream's legacy because a bunch of scrubs in Toronto wouldn't pass him the ball in his last season.

Also, it really was the best deal at the time. IIRC, the only other big name free agents were Antonio McDyess, Rod Strickland, and Damon Stoudamire. Thank goodness the Rockets didn't get shackled with longterm contracts for those guys.