1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Threes in theory are better but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 1, 2019.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Some would say
    Curry hurt
    Klay hurt
    Their not engaged/coasting
    Not keeping their foot on the gas
    Their not worried about anything

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but I mean out of people who watch the games, who see the Warriors breaking their bones to compete with us, who saw them on their knees 3-2 last season, who can objectively see how close these 2 games are.

Going down this route, you are losing your credibility. Half the opponents' fan base wouldn't even agree with you.

HP3 likes this.
  3. mockster

mockster Member

That’s debatable but yes we probably would’ve won.

But yeah the only player that shoots mid rangers would’ve saved the series?. You don’t say?.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is assuming you have large enough possessions to get there. The shot with the greater variance is going to be less reliable and will fluctuate before hitting the mean. Also an open FT line shot or shots that looney or Livingston take they make at a very high clip.

It’s something everybody outside of the rockets understands

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Chris Paul is the only player on our roster who shoots the midrange as well as the Warriors trio. We do not forbid him from shooting them. He took by far the most midrange shots on our team.

You might believe that Gordon and Harden are good midrange shooters, but the reality is different.

There is 1 reason and 1 reason only that I think you can argue for more midrange from guys other than Paul and even this reason I’m not convinced has the effect so many people think it will and that’s that more midrange would make the 3s we do take a little easier.

HP3 likes this.
  6. YaoMingsSoulja

weak argument. It's the same style of play, he's not just a midrange shooter. He's a HOF player and an all time great. But I think we can all agree (for those who watched the games this season) that cp3 has definitely lost a step, and I think it's being exposed in this series.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I agree with you I’m just trying look at it from a different perspective not trying to imply anything.

mockster likes this.
  8. mockster

mockster Member

Once again die hards

I am not saying we shouldn’t take threes I am clearly saying we should add more mid rangers.

Really we should just be more organic in general. I think sometimes forcing something isn’t the correct way to look at things.

I also realize we’re playing an amazing team but my concerns still stand and there’s proof to show it

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For one, Jordan was ELITE within the 3 point line. He knew his strengths and weaknesses and exploited the former to the extent that the latter didn't matter. The Rockets are doing the same thing by exploiting the fact that a 3 point shot gives you more points than a mid-range shot and it only requires taking a few steps back from your typical mid-range shot. The evidence is there that this works because everyone in the league, including the Warriors, have shifted to this model.

The only way the mid-range shot can be incorporated moreso at this point of the season is to run PnR between Harden/Paul and Capela and have Harden/Paul take a mid-range shot in lieu of the 3. Harden or Paul in isolation after the halfcourt mark can't get you a mid-range shot unless you're expecting a high screen from Capela all the way out near the 3 point line but if that is your plan, you are now asking Harden/Paul to penetrate deep enough inside the 3 (rather than taking a more wide open 3) to shot over whoever switches off of Capela and that guy is usually a center.

Here's the thing: The Rockets taking 3s isn't the issue. The Rockets NOT taking mid-range shots isn't the issue. The issue is that our PnR game between Harden/Paul and Capela has been effectively neutralized. That Capela lob is/was our "dynamic" alternative because a rolling Capela to the basket yielded a higher % than a mid range shot.

Voltik and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

My bad I thought you were indirectly saying you believed that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Naw lol hell naw.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

It’s not a weak argument a lot of his buckets came from mid range shots and a lot of momentum came from them.

If anything Chris Paul plays exactly like I’m trying to say the whole team should

He focused on threes but will shoot mid rangers to open up the offense and gain easy points

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

everyone not named CP3 or Harden is absolute garbage from midrange and should have no business taking them

CP3 takes midrange jumpers...I guess Harden should take a few when he’s way off from 3 just to get some points on the board, and Nene takes the occasional jumper from the elbow...everyone else should be strictly layups and threes

u want the whole team taking a shot they can’t hit or even get off at a respectable rate aside from 2 guys...no

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Then what is the counter? Bcuz I agree they have completely took away our PnR threat.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You're right.

Where in the world would we find an example of one dominant superstar surrounded by role players who take dramatically more 3's than the rest of league leading to championship?

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Where are you getting the info that Livingston and Looney are A) taking a good number of FT line jumpers and B) that they make them at a high clip?

Because I’m looking at the numbers and Livingston takes a lot of midrange and is not very good at them at all. Looney has a very good percentage, but hardly takes ANY shots outside of the paint,

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I only want Harden taking more of them. Everyone else just sucks at shooting no matter where you let them shoot

18. YaoMingsSoulja

We haven't played like that all year. I dont see us changing now, and I dont think we should. Don't let the Warriors dictate our game. Our offense was top 5 in the league. Make the shots.

19. mockster

mockster Member

Odds are if a player can hit threes they can hit 2s

Nene is irrelevant to this conversation as he barley plays and he’s not a shooter

20. mockster

mockster Member

Well people are just attacking me, no I don’t think every player should take mid rangers, play to there ability

But yes harden should take more, green, tucker, rivers, Gordon are all capable of doing so.

I’m not even bashing our system I just think leaving out mid range in general isn’t wise from a tactic standpoint