1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Three who are still out there.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Aug 27, 2001.

1. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

This is just a whipped out piece because I am so bored today. If worse comes to worse print it off and make a paper airplane to fly around your office.

Omar Cook?

Cook is a luxury that Denver may be happy to have come the mid season doldrums, but just as obviously he may be a man who will not be suiting up in those funky unis this coming season at all. Cook was one of those guys I thought would be a shoe-in at one of the East Coast teams this past draft. You may recall I also had him going in the late first round. Neither occurred. His agent has been trying to get the second rounder (#32 overall) a two year deal, but so far he has been offered only a lame one year Nuggets contract with the caveat that he will get guaranteed the whole first year ONLY if he makes it past the December cut. This CBA stuff is being shoved down some draftees’ throats and the Players Association will eventually reek revenge on these type of backhanded contracts …. mark my words.

Omar was picked by the Magic who quickly unloaded him to the McNuggets for a conditional first rounder. (So I guess my prediction may have had some merit?). He is quick, fancy, a fair passer and can drive but has had some media knock for turnovers. Some speculative optimists say he was just beiong pushed to do something with the rock everytime he had it in his mitts. The most prevailing result in situations like that is a lopsided T/O ratio. Ask Steve Francis.

Anyway, although he is yet another rookie, and we are best served with a player of at least a couple of years experience at the spot, he gets a strong vote from me for backup to Steve if Moochje’s talks continue to stagnate.

Jahidi White?

Still some talk out there about this being a done deal, but frankly the confidence in this deal getting done wanes back and forth from both camps, almost on a daily basis. Let’s face it the MJ “return-not return” scenario is getting more play than any discussion on the strength/depth/solidity of the Wizards present line up. The Wizards can get some help this year and will compete likely near the top to middle of the “Eastern also-rans”, but they have an opportunity with Kwame & Haywood as well as Laettner etc… to put a decent game on the court. The management just have to collectively get together and make some decisions about personnel.

Marc Jackson?

Man I have heard low balls before, but it seems Jackson may be getting a caboose rammed up the southend of his north-bound train. Media stories talk about the waning interest from his suitors, and the rumored (not substantiated) offer from the Warrior owner of $500K to $1 million in one year contract as being the most attractive bid so far. The crux of this is that very few teams are able to parlay a deal with the Warriors holding his “restricted” status, and the emergence of both Forston and Dampier as viable big boys this season. Add to that the “Antawn as Favorite Forward ” factor and you can see that Jackson is being worked out of a job. I still say when push comes to shove, the GSW could be bought to ignore him and waive any restriction codicils with a pick and a second year man. They maybe holding out so that some team will take some roster flotsam off their hands in the move. Our Walt and a pick for Mookie (or now maybe even Porter) and the arrangement that they will not match a Jackson offer from the Rockets? Naw, but ya never know. CD is mom.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Did I win? :)

Looks like we may have to stay put then?

I mean... I appreciate the break in the nauseum... but it looks like nothing but minor nibbles... am I wrong?

:)

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

OP,

Is McCoy still being looked at as an option? If they are uncomfortable giving White his contract, Mccoy would seem to be a very cheap alternative. Are you still fairly confident the Rockets will pick up a third big man by training camp?

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Denver is supposedly offering Cook a one year deal with a 2nd year option. But that's IF he is on the roster come Dec. 1st. Then they will guarantee a PORTION of the 2nd year? What kind of deal is that?

From BskBALL.com....you decide on validity.

08/25-NUGGETS MAKE AN OFFER- Omar Cook has been offered a one year deal guaranteed if he is still on the roster Dec 1st, if he stays on the Roster he gets a portion of a 2nd year guaranteed. His agent is still talking with the Nuggets but this has moved from no deal to a partial guaranteed deal. His agent says he'd like a 2 year deal all guaranteed from training camp. Cook is participating in Camp Jordan in Chicago this week, and was said to be holding his own. The Nuggets are also not actively exploring trade talks with Tariq Wahad, in fact his agent told media that Tariq was excited about Kiki Vandeweghe being brought in, as he might be able to help Tariq be successful in Denver. Tariq had a huge on-court incident with Dan Issel last season, and has been in Dan's doghouse ever since, there is hope a new GM and possibly assistant GM will be able to work with the personalities and get them clicking as a unit again.

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Black Stallion

Yeah anyone who realizes this is a "page twenty filler" at any other respectable medium, actually wins a prize. A two week trip to the future complete with matching lower bowl seats in the game of the season ..... the Rockets versus the Comets.... . Sorry, I told you I was bored.

FurBall

Last I heard they were still trying to (1) wrestle Mooch from that devils grip, and (2) shore up the five spot. I think in that order. Yeah, they need a third big man no matter how you look at it. McCoy is actually a better alternative in some minds than White becuse he gives credible evidence of being able to do his job, but comes with an almost non-risk price tag. But we still have to look at a roster spot. Kinda hard to load em up at the three-four and yet have only two bonafide fives. As an added note, the biggest need is a strong defensive presence with a doable trade ability. Also, the fact that Bullard is gone may incclude them looking for a five that take it outside also. The choices are limited. They may opt for the easiest fix.

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

*cough* *cough* *Loren Woods in the lottery* *cough*.

Don't quit your day job as a sourceman yet Pops. LOL. :)

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'll take Rockets news anytime I can get it, Oeilpere, regardless if you're bored or not. Keep it coming, man. I need a quick fix, and you seem to be my dealer lately. So what if I'm a Rockets news junkie? If Rudy sneezes in the bathroom, I wanna know. If Cato and Collier play Rock, Paper, Scissors during practice, I wanna know.

8. The Cat

Also, the fact that Bullard is gone may incclude them looking for a five that take it outside also. The choices are limited. They may opt for the easiest fix.

Is there anyone available that could fit this description? Out of all the 5's mentioned, including White, McCoy, Pig, and others, none have much of an outside touch. Who out there does? I can think of Chris Mihm, but that's about it. How much range does Brad Miller have on his jumper? (I know Marc Jackson fits this role, and as much as I would like to see it happen, I don't think GS would let him walk for what we could offer :))

Another possibility I thought of would be Scott Williams from Milwaukee. He has a decent jumper with range out to 16-17 feet, and he's also good at bringing interior toughness inside. I've read several reports stating that Milwaukee has offered Williams for Anthony Mason from Miami, but that Pat Riley isn't a big fan of Williams' game. Any possibility that we could send Walt to Miami in a 3-way exchange that has us landing Scott?

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

"Also, the fact that Bullard is gone may incclude them looking for a five that take it outside also. The choices are limited. They may opt for the easiest fix"

It has to be Maute Bol! With the sweet stroke he had from downtown he could probably easily replace Bullard's marksmanship

:) :) :) :)

10. today

today Contributing Member

I don't think I'm missing anything here, did you mean 'mum'?

Getting Marc Jackson in a 1-3 year deal would be a nice move IMO. Kind of a filler until we can get a guy we can count on to be a force in the middle for years to come. I would have no problem in unloading Walt+pick to get Mookie plus a guarentee of not matching our offer for Marc. Mookie would bring us a little veteran leadership, and hopefully my lingering thoughts of him not being a good locker room guy could be proven false.

#10 today, Aug 27, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2001
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Axel Dench

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Me thinks Omar Cook is a good backup, but can't shoot a lick. If you can get his rights for a 2nd rounder, it'd be worth it. But if that happened, considering Denver gave a 1st rounder, that'd be a major blunder for them.

Walt for Mookie would seem to make a lot of sense on both sides-Golden State seems to be going for Hughes as the PG, with Teego as a backup, and Blaylock doesn't completely fit in. Meanwhile, their outside shooting is atrocious, and Walt would do wonders for them in that category. Their salaries could work straight up (Walt=5.0, Mookie=5.4) and both are in their last years. If you do that, and let Moochie walk/renounce, you'd have about 1.5 mill base to offer Jackson.

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I would snatch up McCoy as soon as the Moochie situation is resolved.

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Pops, you forgot to put Mason on your list. Of course the only way to get him would be a 3-team sign and trade.

MoTay-Wiz-Moochie to Seattle

Payton to Miami

Mason to Houston

15. The Cat

Very realistic Bob*. :D Why would they have signed Mo for a contract starting at 6 million per when they could've had Mason for 2 million without a trade?

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I'm board as well:D

17. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

heres the deal with omar - we want to sign him but for cheap...like that all says. however, if we dont, it doesnt mean hes available.

hed probably goto the developemental league or even possibly europe for a year. hes not ready yet. plus we have nve and aj.

we arent merely going to release him or dump him already when hes done ok so far and we gave up a pick for him. we all knew he couldnt shoot worth a lick before he played in the RMR but he still did ok.

i could see a trade, although i highly doubt it. either way hes not really available.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

as a second round pick how does his team rights work out?

19. Yakeem ASunKing

i'll take mookie if it means we get marc jackson. any day of the week, i'll do it. Solidify the five, that's what i say. it's the only position w/out a legitimate starter. Maybe jackson is, maybe he isnt, but Jackson + Cato should be kinda close. If we can get Jackson with all his potential and we dont have to commit him to a long term catoesque contract, I'd do it in a heartbeat. What is Mookie's contract like?

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Doesn't Collier fit that description(given he'll be healthy)?

The last thing the Rockets need is another player that plays the perimiter. Like you said, we need a strong defensive presense, but we also need someone that can put pressure on the defense down low and score.