1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Three Black kids walk into a convenience store and...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

not realizing its closed, leave cash on the register for the things they wanted to buy when they couldn't find the attendant - Great story, great kids. I like seeing these kinds of stories on the news - I hope they get more than just a $50 shopping spree from the owner.

http://news.yahoo.com/college-athletes--remarkable-honesty-caught-on-camera-142529420.html

Steroid scandals, murder charges and accusations of autograph peddling. Now how about a good news story from the world of sports?
    Four football players from William Paterson University went shopping at a general store in Wayne, N.J., on Sunday afternoon. After spending several minutes trying to locate the store clerk, two of the players who needed sunglasses and batteries were captured on store security cameras leaving money at the register.
    Buddy’s Small Lots store manager, Marci Lederman, was taken by their honesty.
    “They picked up a few items, and they left cash on the counter and waved to the cameras,” Lederman told Yahoo News. “Who does that?”
    Thomas James, Kell’E Gallimore, Jelani Bruce and Anthony Biondi do that.
    The NCAA Division-III Pioneers haven’t had a winning season in nearly 20 years, but life’s rewards are sometimes sweeter than those earned on a football field.
    “It doesn’t surprise me that they did what they did,” said Jerry Flora, the Pioneers’ head coach. “That’s the kind of kids we try and recruit in here so we can obviously deal with a lot less headaches if you know what I mean.”
    As it turns out, the players had unknowingly entered a closed store. Lederman said a lock on the front door had malfunctioned and a half-lit store made it look like Buddy’s was open. Police phoned her to say an alarm had been tripped, but she found nothing amiss.
    “They could have ransacked the store. They could have really done anything,” Lederman said. “They were perfect gentlemen. They were looking to see if anyone was here. They looked in the back to make sure no one was lying on the floor dead.”
    Lederman was so impressed that she called a local TV station to share the surveillance video, which helped her identify the four young men. On Tuesday, she rewarded each of them with $50 shopping sprees.
    “They were just very thankful and grateful,” she said. “They’re nice kids.”
    A Heisman candidate might not emerge from Flora's small-school roster, but he has four on the squad who already earned preseason praise off the field.
    “For me it’s the total product,” Flora said. “I’m looking for guys that will come in, be here for four years, learn, develop, graduate, become good alums, give back to the university, give back to the program and along the way hopefully have some fun and set a good example.”

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice story and I understand why you mentioned their race in the thread title but it is sad that that has to be brought up.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I agree. thanks.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If Obama had a son......he probably wouldn't be on the football team.

1 person likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When I saw this story on yahoo, somehow knew it would pop up in the D&D.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That night clerk screwed up and should have locked the door. I actually stand at the entrance and don't get anything until I see an attendant, and leave with nothing if I don't see them after a while.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is news? Three kids are good kids. Shocking.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Its' a sad time when someone being honest and doing the proper thing becomes headline news .

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'd much rather see this on the news instead of someones response to Hannah Idaho...er..Montana's twerking incident.

10. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

The mainstream media loves to cuddle black people and they will never report stories of the violent crime they commit.

11. Major

Major Member

Yeah, it's not like any murders by black people have gotten attention recently. :confused: Do you actually follow the news?

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. SexyButIgnorant

I was disappointed that there were no violent act mentioned in the article.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Let me get this straight. You want me to applaud three black guys for walking into a store and not robbing the place? Do we really think that low of a race that we must do a news story to prove they really aren't all gangsta criminals?

The medias obsession about race is pathetic.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Soo.... Trespassing?

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think it's a good story. Maybe President Obama can give them a medal or something. Nothing wrong with publicizing good behavior.

17. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Why are we supposed to have a news story congratulating three people for not stealing?..

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Actually, the media didn't even mention their race. I did. And not because I think Low of their race, but for two reasons:

1 - to show that yes indeed there are positive stories regarding african americans on the news

2 - so that people can see & udnerstand what their own expectations regarding a race are - did you assume something negative would happen, something positive, or did you truly keep an open mind? That tells a LOT about what you really think - note I didn't judge anyone with what I said - I'm leaving that up to the individual to decide for themselves.

I think many people may have racial tendencies and don't even know it - I'd venture to say that the majority of Americans do.

19. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

People are actually pissed it's not a negative story.

LIMPSAC needs to focus on not having to pay for ass.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Setting the bar kind of low, IMO. Am I reading this right that they were each given $50 rewards for not stealing in front of a camera?