1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Three Baton Rouge police officers shot near BRPD HQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So it's just the high velocity and accuracy then? Why not use a different rifle? Use a semi automatic .30-06 and it's one hell of a lot more deadly. Focusing on the tool is foolish. As long as there is intent and a willingness to die in order to hurt others then people will be hurt.

Also, you talk about vests, but with handguns, you can get up really close before firing allowing for headshots. These cops wouldn't be any less dead if the terrorist had used a different gun, it's just popular to demonize "assault rifles" at any opportunity and it's pretty pathetic.

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

<-- White, (mostly)conservative, male, not a police officer.

How do we solve the problem? I can see a problem but how do we fix it. I was not raised believing another race was inferior. My kids haven't been raised that way. I think that would eventually start working but my dad was in high school/college during the civil rights movement. It would probably take 80-100 years(4-5 generations) so something more needs to be done.

With the police the only thing I can think of is to ensure that the "bad cops" get proper punishment when they abuse their power. But how do you define said abuses. Obviously shooting unarmed cooperative suspects is bad.

Unfortunately with the instant access internet people can have access to poor quality videos and the court of public opinion can have someone or a group of people tried and convicted before even half of the official details come out about an event.

3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Any updates? was this a attack On police?

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh bigotexx, your reputation is so well earned. Congrats.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Bolt-action vs semi automatic... that is the distinction between a mass casualty firearm vs something that would be relatively ineffective for mass casualties.

.30-06 rifles usually come in the form of bolt action or smaller cartridges. An AR15 comes with easily available 30 round magazines that are easy to find and CHEAP.

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This was the first response in this thread.

7. CometsWin

Right. The oh I dunno fifty sixty years of police brutality is no problem. It's just the response that's a problem. Gotcha.

8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

So shooter is ID'd as 29 y/o Gavin Long.

Member of a "sovereign citizens" movement.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it's the response that is the problem. They are "responding" to an armed sex offender and multiple felon fighting with cops and ending up shot....that's not police brutality but really stupid people are upset anyway. That's the problem. We need better education for the knuckle dragging r****ds that are up in arms about cops doing their jobs and doing them right.

10. CometsWin

It's a perfect soup of trouble. Easy access to high powered weapons, a new globalized economy that has shattered low/middle class, the onset of social media that can capture these moments as they happen, the era of pick your own media where agendas are more important than news, the election of a black President that has caused all of the racists hiding in the bushes to come out and has emboldened minorities to seek justice and equality by more aggressive means, decades of unchecked police brutality, a rigged justice system, and a ticking time bomb of wealth inequality along racial lines. There's no easy solution in my view. The head in the sand law and order approach isn't going to work though.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So basically an anarchist?

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are trying to hard. Getting that close to 6 cops.......come on now. Bolt action rifle? LOL. Come on. Good luck aiming and firing with a bolt action while cops are shooting at you unless you are a trained Sniper. Assault Rifles make killing multiple targets....EASY.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Who said anything about a bolt action rifle? I certainly never did. Again, thankfully this guy didn't use a lorry, those are just murderwagons.

14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ya they hate that ****. I learned that the hard way when I was 16 and got arrested for waking up a bunch of firefighters because I was off-roading in my 4 wheeler in the fess behind them. When the cops showed up I reached into my pocket trying to ditch my fake ID and I got destroyed and mushroom stamped. In my defense he never told me to keep my hands where he could see them. My dad explained to me that most of those guys have been shot at by 16 year olds and that I was an idiot.

15. CometsWin

Please ignore Bobby. He's a sociopath with too much time on his hands. He lives to get a rise out of people with outlandishly arrogant and ignorant comments.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty funny coming from one of the worst posters in the D&D

1 person likes this.
  17. CometsWin

LOL Bobby, get help.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When I say you are one of the worst posters in the D&D it's because you never post anything of substance, it's always some nonsense like this because you seemingly aren't intelligent enough to discuss actual issues. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Anyway, since you won't be saying anything of substance, have a good day kiddo.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I still don't understand how you think he was "fighting with cops" while fully restrained on the ground.

The story from the police officers is that they felt he was reaching towards his pocket where they saw he had a gun. Uh huh. Or maybe, they just saw his hand moving while he was being pinned down and assumed he might be making a move for his gun. You can call people stupid knuckle draggers for assuming the latter if you like, but then you'd be no less stupid for assuming he was trying to pull out his gun while pinned to the ground with three officers on top of him.

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Just because you're not black it doesn't mean you're not a blm supporter or a member.