1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Three Baton Rouge police officers shot near BRPD HQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Jul 17, 2016.

1. jsingles

jsingles Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

You'd be wrong then my friend.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm curious how many cops are going to die before the usual suspects acknowledge that there's a huge freaking problem when a community is so pissed about how it's been treated that killing cops has become the answer for some of them. Or we can continue head in the sand stuff and blame Obama.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

So, the study only looks at 10 cities.

Also, I thought this was a significant quote from the article:

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So to summarize, killing cops is kinda justified, amirite?

5. jsingles

jsingles Member

They looked at total shootings over the course of 15 years in cities such as Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas, Jacksonville, Orlando, ect. It's not practical, or reasonable to expect every city's data to be combed through, it would take years and years. So they asked a black Harvard professor to compile data where he thought it was more useful.

6. HamJam

You mentioning he was black reeks of "I have a black friend"-itus.

Also, I ninja edited my post to include a significant fact from the article, that "This work focused only on what happens once the police have stopped civilians, not on the risk of being stopped at all. Other research has shown that blacks are more likely to be stopped by the police."

7. jsingles

jsingles Member

If you feel the need to insult me instead of challenging the facts of the study, that's on you. Have a good one.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think it's a problem, but as a data analyst who has studied this before, I've always thought it was a problem. I mean, I think we're still in the normal range of police getting killed by shooting this year compared to the last 20 years, which is a terrible thing. There has been an uptick for sure the last couple of weeks. Hopefully, it slows down back to pre-3 weeks ago levels for the year.

9. HamJam

I am fine with the facts of the study, but, as the article points out, the facts of the study need to be put in context with the facts of other studies -- like those that point out that "blacks are more likely to be stopped by the police".

I did sort of insult you -- and if you can offer a reasonable explanation for why you decided to mention that the person who ran the study was black, then I will apologize for doing so.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why dont you address the real issue instead of throwing out BS statistics that matter little.

In all police shootings, how many of the people killed were involved in a serious crime? Feel free to break it out in racial categories if you choose.

About 7% of blacks are incarcerated vs 1% of white. Now compare it to 10% of whites living in poverty vs 27% of blacks living in poverty.

Instead of the "whitey is out to get blackie" mentality, perhaps you should focus more on the poverty issue.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

SO....one person with an assault rifle is able to shoot 6 officers, killing 3. I guess Assault Rifles are not the problem....right? All these mass shooting seem to have a coming theme.........Assault Rifles.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

The problem here would be the community that murders police officers.

13. HamJam

Of course I focus on the poverty issue. And the militarization of police departments issue. And the influence of corporate power over the political process contributing to the growing disparity in wealth issue.

But race is an issue too.

And these issues are all interrelated. For instance, mandatory minimums disproportionately affect black communities (e.g. powder cocaine and pills having lower sentencing than crack), and when adults are getting locked up and having criminal records, that contributes to poverty and children having less relative opportunities -- which contributes to the diminishing of their long term economic state -- and poverty does indeed often lead to crime.

And of course we would be being pollyannaish if we ignored the influence that corporations who own private prisons have on the legislation that goes into determining our laws.

And that's just one example.

#113 HamJam, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Blame the whole community. Bigots are good at it.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So......I can blame you for Dylan Roof shooting those 9 churchgoers in SC?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that it's really stupid people being upset about how they THINK they are being treated, not how they are actually treated. There's not much you can do about morons who want to be violent. All you can do is put them down like dogs when they bite and hope they don't breed.

1 person likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sooo, would they be less dead if shot by a different weapon? LOL blaming the specific tool used is pretty dumb. I mean thank god they didn't use a lorry right? Look how many that killed in France!

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....Police vest will stop handgun bullets....for the most part. Assault Rifle bullets....not such much.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Also, 30 round clips and distance accuracy. Doesnt take a trained shooter to do alot of damage with an AR-15.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is sickening to see this type of violence against police escalating, which will just make the police more prone to be scared and to shoot when in doubt.

I still remember about thirty years ago when as a white guy I was stopped while in business clothes visiting a client during the day time. While chatting with a black officer as he wrote up a ticket for an expired inspection sticker, I put a hand in my pocket and the officer, seemingly scared, barked: "Sir get your hand out of your pocket!". That scared me. I found out later an officer had been killed the day before while making a routine stop in that neighborhood.

Someone mentioned the Middle East and it does strike me as somewhat of a parallel. Generally the same types who see no conection between racially disparate police brutaliy and deranged folks killing police officers, see no connection between Western government misdeeds and how that can set off usually deranged Muslims who then engage in terrorism in the West.

#120 glynch, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016