1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thousands of unaccompanied minors cross into U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Mar 16, 2021.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

So can we admit that Biden signaling that these people would essentially have paths to citizenship for breaking our laws and entering illegally... was maybe... not the best idea?

I mean encouraging people to cross in dangerous conditions where they are likely to get raped, murdered, or trafficked... not the best idea?

Can we build more facilities? Yes. Should we? Yes. Some money from the relief package should go toward it. Definitely not things like Pakistani Gender studies.

blue_eyed_devil and Astrodome like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dude, I'm reffering to a "zero tolerance" policy that seperated 100% of all children from their families. You also do understand that Jeff Sessions explicitly said the reason for this isn't "to save kids from child trafficking" but to create fear for families to not cross the border.

Let's review the chain of our conversation.

1. You asked what was the difference between the Biden and Obama era policies and Trump policies that caused massive scrutiny

2. I answered that Trump admin did a zero tolerance policy that seperated all their kids from their parents REGARDLESS OF CONTEXT

3. You say child trafficking exists.

4. I say that's no excuse to seperate all children from their families because 100% of the children that arrive with adults aren't trafficked because the only way to morally justify such a policy is if 100% of children that come up with adults are being trafficked.

5. You call me a "dolt" because you are not denying that all kids that come up aren't being trafficked even though that is the implication you have to make to defend a ZERO tolerance policy.

3. HTM

HTM Member

Your logic makes no sense.

Of course not all children who arrive with adults at the border are being human trafficked/being used by the cartel/ some other nasty scenario but the presumption should be that they are.

How could you determine who is telling the truth or not? You just ask the kid "Is this your real parent?" 1. Sometimes kids aren't old enough to answer/really know who their parents are 2. Kids are intimidated 3. Older kids may understand there is a threat to their families back home.

The logical thing to do is to presume that these people showing up at the border aren't the parent of the child and work from there. Not to presume they are.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think I did answer, but again, on top of my head and a bit more specific...

Between Obama and Trump, there is the new "zero tolerance" EO and there is the public health order to block all (including unaccompanied" minors" from entering, which is a violation of federal law, but allowed because of a health emergency). Obama did separate families, but only in particular cases (drugs for example). Trump separates for all cases.

The "zero tolerance" is no longer around, at least it shouldn't be since after the Courts shut it down.

Biden's has removed the block and allow unaccompanied minors in. His admin is just starting up, so we'll see what else he comes up with.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but this issue isn't just processing and my last post [complaining :)] points to some key differences... this isn't an issue that the admin itself can just solve on its own either. It's part of an overall immigration reform that has been lacking since everyone wanted one starting with Bush Jr...

5. Nook

Nook Member

Yes there were difference and you are not keeping up, now the Republicans are calling Biden an insensitive monster.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Texas governor Greg Abbott is giving the business to Biden once again

7. Roc Paint

Somebody’s Gotta do it

- Ice T

8. HTM

HTM Member

I don't have any complaints for Biden. I didn't have complaints for Obama or Trump either.

The situation is extremely difficult and the government is reacting as best it can to hundreds of thousands of migrants putting amazing amounts of pressure on the system. It's an absolute mess down there with all types of scenarios and problems. I'm far less hard on the government then most. I'm sympathetic to their problem.

What do you do with all these unaccompanied minors showing up at your border? We don't have unlimited resources or some sort of perfect system to process/house/care for all of these people. People will always complain about their treatment. Government isn't perfect. What do you do with the "accompanied" minors? How do you process "families"? How do you make sure everyone is safe and protected. What a mess.

Nook likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't agree with the open border policy but I also see thru this agenda driven fake hysteria. Only a matter of months before the next mass shooter with mental issues pops up.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What is going on here....why the added mics...or green screen? What ever is going on here.(look at his right arm and hand...crossing in front of the mic)
    Looks like a snapchat filter lol.

And what's up with the lack of pressers?

JumpMan likes this.
  11. Roc Paint

My best advice to you then would be stay indoors

12. Nook

Nook Member

It is a mess. I will say that it has been a mess for at least 40 years.

We also have people on both sides taking extremist positions and I do not believe that a lot of people with strong positions want a compromise.

Let's say that we agree to allow all illegals that have been here and have been good citizens to get full citizenship. While those that have been here 10 or more years will be very happy, what about those here 9 years? 5 years.... there will be protests from those here a shorter period or time, and there will also be protests from those against giving citizenship.

Let's say that we agree to build some version of a border, or pay off the Mexican government to prevent illegals from entering the USA. There will be stories of people that either die trying to get in, or we will see even more stress on the current customs, with people coming in illegally with boats or hiding in shipping containers.

Then there is the actual border. Those that say to "build a wall" do not recognize the sheer size of the US border with Mexico, the incredible cost associated with it for upkeep and the persistence of smugglers to get people across. Usually a country with the affluence of the USA is not bordered by a massive nation that is struggling so much. The fact that we are a democracy makes it difficult as well. It is easy for China, they can just shoot and kill anyone crossing.... the Soviet Union was the same way. We will not do that and we shouldn't do that.

For many decades it was a political football that both parties did not touch because of all the issues involved.... then President Trump made it an issue, and now both parties are trying to use it to their advantage with no real desire for any compromise. Now the media is reporting on everything that happens at the border.

Roc Paint likes this.
  13. Roc Paint

You had me at mess

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't care about any of that except the lack of press conferences. He has not given a press conference since becoming President. I know that there is a lot going on with COVID, China (who are currently hacking US corporation computers) etc. However he deserves criticism for not having had a press conference thus far.

Roc Paint likes this.
  15. Roc Paint

Sleepy Floyd is jealous

Nook likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My god.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/i...raffickers-are-posing-families-border-n885241

1% of 31,000 migrants during a 5 month span during the Trump adminstration were trafficked.

You want to seeprste 100% of all children from their guardians because of a 1% chance?

Not only is it cruel and unusual it's unpragamtic and was the reason for the initial overflow of children in detention centers.

What makes your claim even more silly was THAT WASN'T THE JUSTIFICATION USED INITIALLY when they announced the policy from Sessions. It was explicitly a policy meant as a deterrent to prevent families coming up with their children.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A friend of mine got a green card after years of work in the states, interviews, and paperwork.
    While another friend, who graduated with a MBA at Duke lost their status and ended up living in Mexico.

So it's ok our foreign friends who work hard to be here while others can skip the same process?

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

exactly, something doesn't make sense. I know good people in Mexico that tried getting their Visa thru different presidents and were denied . Now, there's thousands of kids flocking freely into the US?

tinman likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes, and the US government has a process to ensure my friends aren't evil people or lazy bums. they want productive citizens and the government plays lottery on their life and career.

20. dmoneybangbang

How is it freely?

Have you ever been to the border? There's nothing "freely" about that geography and then getting detained.