1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thousands Of Muslims Gather In England To Pledge To An Islamic Caliphate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

There has been so much negative view toward Islam in general, some of which seems to have hardened over times. I believe not many know about this Muslim's group. I didn't until today.

Thousands Of Muslims Gather In England To Pledge To An Islamic Caliphate - In The Name Of Peace

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Too bad they only make up at most 1 % of the world's Muslims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmadiyya#Persecution

Looks like their peaceful teachings are not very popular in mainstream Islam.

1 person likes this.
  3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Nothing to do with peace. A difference in interpretation regarding the finality of the Prophet is what sets them apart specifically.

Nevertheless, we must applaud them for setting a great example.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

They are a reform movement. The way they are treated by "mainstream Islam" should tell you something about how peaceful and tolerant "mainstream Islam" is. It does have to do with whether the self-assigned "religion of peace" designation is deserved for that religion as a whole.

5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Shut your yap already

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Looks like I struck a nerve there. Are you showing your tolerance?

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

You can't wait for the chance to spew your crap when its your way, even when there is good news of a good movement you still bring your negativity, thats says something about your prejudice nerve...

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You sound angry. Why does me saying that Ahmadi Muslims should not be persecuted make you angry? Would you prefer to pretend that that is not happening?

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

You and tinman must have gone to the same forum school, great skill for switching and evading.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are the Ahmadi Muslims persecuted or not? And who is doing it?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

From material posted here so far, they don't look like a reform movement at all, and it doesn't look to me like the persecution they get is because they preach peace. They are persecuted because they claim a prophet after the Last Prophet, which would be heretical in mainstream Islam, not reform. It'd be like a Christian church that claimed its pastor was another incarnation of Jesus (without a rapture to back up the claim) -- they'd be disavowed by mainstream Christians, no matter how peaceful their version of Christianity was.

It's great and all that they embrace peace. And, sure it sucks for them that they aren't free to practice their religion in Muslim countries. But, I wouldn't reproach a Muslim for rejecting their version of Islam because it looks like what they preach would commonly be considered a heresy. Rejecting heresy doesn't mean you embrace violent jihad.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The closest comparison to the Ahmadiyya Islamic community is the Mormon church here in the US. The Mormons similarly are an offshoot of mainstream Christianity.

I think if you polled a majority of Americans they'd still say that they are suspicious of the Mormon church. And for all the oddities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints, they have actually done a ton of good for Utah. Utah has all kinds of progressive laws that aren't found in any other conservative state because the Church has provided political cover to Republican politicians to vote for laws such as banning discrimination against the LGBT community or granting drivers licenses to illegal immigrants.

Other Muslim communities having suscpicions about the Ahmadiyya community is no different than Christians in the US looking down on the Mormon community to the point where many Christians in the US dont even consider Mormons to be Christian. (just as many Muslims dont consider the Ahmadiyya community to be Islamic)

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The problem with mainstream Islam(Sunni) not accepting the Ahmadiyya offshoot branch is in many parts of the world, Sunni Islam does not take kindly to the 'wrong' Islam to the point of tangible negative consequences far worse than a Christian in the U.S. believing Mormons are 'weird'.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah except here we don't have to sign a pledge that Joseph Smith is a heretic in order to get a passport.

15. Amiga

Supporting Member

I want to add that they aren't using a different religious source. They use the same book as mainstream Muslim. They have their own interpretation that is shared with mainstream Muslim. Where is differ, as you pointed out, seems to be the claim of last or latest prophet. There are definitely peaceful and loving message within Islam. That's the part of Islam that we all want to see being expressed. But as with any religion, there are extremists. We should be careful about distinguishing the difference and avoid grouping them all under one umbrella. We do that when we blame Islam as the source of terrorism.

The source of terrorism and acting out their intolerance is more to do with their head of states & government, education and culture than religion.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Ismailis are persecuted in a similar fashion. I know there have been quiet a few instances in Pakistan where Ismailis were attacked and killed by some fanatic Sunni groups.

And I personally know quiet a few Muslims who definitely look down upon Ismailis and don't believe they are real Muslims.

So in that regards, ATW definitely has a valid point.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

18. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Bet the Brits wish they never gave up their guns.. but all sheep must be slaughtered eventually.

19. Amiga

Supporting Member

I think you didn't read.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Gun nutter or just plain nutter?