1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thousands convicted by false drug positives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jul 7, 2016.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I read it and you misunderstand, I wasn't arguing with what you stated, just surprised that prosecutors are willing to cross the line between allegiance to state and working against justice. Also, it isn't costly or time consuming (outside of the govt sector at least) it costs under 30$ and takes a week at maximum if you run through other labs. I couldn't get dash cam footage of my traffic violation because the prosecutor said it would take a year and was told I should just take defensive driving instead of waiting that long. Our justice system is ****ed, as stated earlier.

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

Years ago I got a traffic ticket in Houston. I went to court and I played this line : me no English..
    Immediately the judge called a translator , an old Egyptian guy who was a cop.
    The judge asked him to translate this : do you bleed guilty ,I said no, the translator said: yes ....I end up paying the fine+ court fee+ translator service...and I could't object for fear of further complication :mad:

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why did you say you couldn't speak English?

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

That's what my uncle (Asian) tried years ago. Doesn't work these days because of the political climate. But 1 out 3 times it would work and the cop would let you go back in the 80s to early 90s.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

This.

6. Buck Turgidson

Which drugs?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Damn near all of them.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is anyone being punished for this?
    Anyone going to Jail for it?

If not. . . there is no consequence and hell why not do it again
    or something similar
    If no one is held accountable

Rocket River

9. Buck Turgidson

Where do you draw the line?

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Strong opiates, heroin. Most likely to result in death.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure I do. I'd regulate the most dangerous of them but I'd provide a path for doing them legally. I think government should work to find a way for citizens to do as many things as they want legally if there's any way at all to do so without directly hurting others.

12. StupidMoniker

Another angle on this, presumably you would know if the substance that the cops found on you is not really drugs. Let's say I was taking 2 cups of flour to a friend that was baking a cake and got pulled over, then charged with possession of heroin with intent to distribute. I am not going to go along with pleading guilty because some presumptive test comes back positive on it, I am maintaining that it was 2 cups of flour and demanding they actually do the lab analysis. On the other hand, if I am out on the street slinging heroin and the cops nab me and put me through the same process, then I already know it is heroin and I am not as concerned about making sure there is a lab test.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are assuming you know there is even an additional test to be done. It isn't like the cop tells you "So, this test isn't necessarily accurate, we are sending it to a lab." The prosecutor doesn't tell you that and a defense lawyer just looking for a quick fee payment as a court appointed lawyer isn't necessarily going to tell you that.

The person who took up this cause is actually a member of the prosecutions office who discovered that these samples weren't being tested, were false when they were tested and that justice was not served.

According to the jailed person in highlighted to begin the article, her court appointed lawyer told her that the test was conclusive and if they made it go to trial she'd get the full penalty. I'm not really sure what expertise you expect someone who is living off of very little money while taking care of a disabled child is supposed to have, but she certainly didn't have any money to hire a high priced defense lawyer who would tell her to fight the charges.

14. StupidMoniker

I would expect her only to have the limited expertise to know, hey, I never had a rock of crack in my car. Also, any public or appointed lawyer worth a damn would know that presumptive tests are not conclusive, you don't need a high priced lawyer for that.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No line.

You wanna drink yourself to death, that is your choice.

You wanna smoke your lungs cancerous, that is your choice.

You wanna take heroin, that is your choice.

Legalize, tax, let the drug offenders out of jail, let the invisible hand of the market completely wipe out the entire drug cartel system. We will all be better off, save the few dumbasses who might actually start doing heroin and kill themselves now that it is legal.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Interesting thread. This article from MJ goes hand-in-hand.

More at the link.
    [​IMG]
    Many of the folks facing this kind of scrutiny have no choice but to use public defenders.

#36 Rashmon, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Only for dealing, not for use though.

We should NEVER criminalize someone for recreational use of drugs. It's their own right to be unhealthy

18. Buck Turgidson

Prescription drugs? Meth?

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Yeah, you probably do.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Sure it is, but this isn't a perfect world and other people's actions negatively affect those around them...particularly kids who we don't hold "accountable" until the age of 18 due to their undeveloped frontal lobes and poor decision making. These dangerous drugs could also contaminate many different things result in poisoning.