1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Ryan Hollins as commentator so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Love Hollins….just wish he wouldn’t keep saying “that was a smart shot” on all 3 pointers when we continually shoot 6-30 from the 3 point line.

Stephen_A, Jontro and Ramo$e like this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

perhaps--but this particular thread is about said TV duo, so...

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can you give it a rest. You don't have to make every thread about him.

BigM, HP3 and Ramo$e like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Was I talking about one single player when I said "players"?

Point is, Hollins sucks, but I think he's getting a bit better... or the team sucks so much it makes him appear better by comparison

It's hard to pay attention to the paint job when the car is on fire

#104 Bobbythegreat, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  5. DreamR

DreamR Member

I understand that the reason he acts the way he does is cuz he cares about keeping his job, but it rubs some people the wrong way because the emotions are fake.

It takes a lot more than watching 4 pre-season games and 12 regular-season games to show that kind of emotion for a team.

To me, it's pretty much the same as Ackerman being solo because Hollins doesn't bring anything to the table.

Personally, I think it would be better if he never interviewed for the job in the first place.

Why not try to work for a team that you played for in your career, so the emotions can actually be real, and you can already have built up some familiarity and positive association with the fans?

Newlin and Ramo$e like this.
  6. DreamR

DreamR Member

Vern gonna talk about the Jazz even when we're not playing the Jazz

7. bmd

bmd Member

You can’t get in too deep with the analytics on a broadcast because it’s geared towards the average fan. He has to keep it simple. But his commentary was based around an understanding of the modern game and he explained very well what the Rockets were doing and how they were playing the game so that even the average casual fan could understand it.

Ramo$e likes this.
  8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He's been good and the pairing with Ackerman is improving with experience.

I was one who didn't like his ESPN takes but he's been a solid commentator as I've heard games with an open mind.

Others didn't like him not having Houston roots but other than the gold standard of prime Worrell and Murphy as a duo, he's been arguably better than Bullard (who I am a fan of and liked as a Houston connection).

A few won't like him because of race, some are up front about it and some hide it, I hope people can see through that.

Ramo$e and Williamson like this.
  9. BelgianRocketsFan

Not a fan at all. Bring back Bill.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think you are all smoking sick

Improving my *******

Last night was by far his worst performance, and was the worst performance of any Rocket this season. I don’t know why but on nearly every single play he became a hyper aggressive armchair coach, saying what player need to do what over and over and over again. I’ve never seen a commentator do that on every play for a whole game, it made me want to dive head first into an empty swimming pool.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I haven't enjoyed our commentators this much since I was a kid and it was Worrell and Murphy. I think Hollins is doing a fantastic job. And I get why you guys would love someone with a connection to the Rockets, but I'd prefer someone who is actually good at the job. I thought Bullard was terrible. I thought Clyde was terrible. Van Chancellor was unfathomably bad. I couldn't even understand 90% of what he said.
    I am very happy with the hire.

Stephen_A, hakeem94 and Ramo$e like this.
  12. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

You are right and I agree to an extent. I just think it's good for the Rockets in general to make other connections. I like that Stone is trying to shed the reputation Morey got us.

13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Bullard was actually quite in depth with his late game analysis. You don't have to like the man to give him his props.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Hollins isn’t even that bad tbh, y’all need to stop…granted, I have only listened to him about 3 or 4 times since I still usually listen to the other team’s feed out of habit

Does he make me miss corny Bull? Not at all

it would’ve been better if he had an actual connection to the team, but let’s keep it real, not too many people are flocking to come call games for this abomination of a team

Clyde didn’t even bother to show up last year, he knew what time it was once Harden got dealt

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

If the choice is there, I usually take the Rockets. We're going to lose lot of games this year, I don't need opponent team announcers rubbing it in. Some teams are unbearable; the Raptor guys borderline unprofessional.

Hollins has a little bit of fake enthusiasm but it's not Jimmy Fallon pandering bad. As bad as some of Rockets play in stretches, I'll take some fake emotions or homerism in the audio. It like sports bikini bars (hooters, twin peaks...etc) The waitress will compliment you, you know it's insincere, but you play along. :p:D

#115 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    BelgianRocketsFan and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

“Javale McGee is a high IQ player”

- Ryan Hollins

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

How would you feel Commutating a **** show every night

19. ThatBoyNick