1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Rockets Players Signed So Far?????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nick_713, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Thoughts on Rockets FA Signings So Far This Offseason?????

1. Love It

11 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Like It

58 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Meh (Neutral)

120 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. Dislike It

48 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. Hate It

40 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Welcome back 2010 Houston Rockets...

2. Apollo-D12

Apollo-D12 Member

^ This. Nicely put. Hope is not lost. Some people on this forum should really consider this type of rationale and step away from the ledge.

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I like that we are adding more defensive players to our team (Ariza, Dorsey, Adrien). There seems to be a shift in a mindset of player we want to bring in.

We need to add another playmaker for the bench and another wing before I can be content about the roster.

Off season is still young. We all know Morey never stops working to improve this team. I have a lot of confidence in his ability.

4. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

What's going on with Covington? Dude is a baller on 2k, so maybe it has me too optimistic for his potential.

5. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Agreed, a neutral offseason was the very last thing I expected. I did have a feeling Asik would be gone, and I am worried because we haven't filled that position of need, a backup Center. I Repped the "Lin Gone" you listed as one of your Pros.

If we weren't in a position to make the playoffs, I would be more excited about our "unproven talent" to see how they contribute...but with the expectations of this team, in the stacked West, the unproven talent has me somewhat nervous for all the wrong reasons. But I do like that these signings are mainly to address our defensive concerns, but we still don't have a true backup Center for Dwight.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Ariza - great, prefer his contract to Parsons'...
    Daniels retained - great
    Asik becomes Pelicans pick - great

Dorsey/Adrien - temp space holders...

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't understand how anyone can choose anything other than the last two. This offseason has been a total disaster so far. Like worst case scenario stuff.

8. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

There was no option below hate it.

The team got worst period. The expectations for this off season was the team would get better, maybe even elite to favorite status. If If if but than Murphy law happened.

Everything that can go wrong did. No 3rd star, traded away Lin about an hour too early because team needed space. That is even more of a killer than letter CP go.

Let me explain. That CP contract was poison, even worst than Lin's and not and asset.

However, that 1st round and 2nd round pick was AND Lin was still a very serviceable backup to starting point guard. He has proven that and while the haters loved moving Lin, this move absolutely killed the team if it was chasing that elusive 3rd star.

Imagine Lin's salary, it is an expiring contract and at trade deadline will not cost $15 mill anymore, added to 2 1st rounders

That is trade bait.

Now it's all gone.

9. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

True worst case scenario

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I am in between neutral and liking it. I really like the emphasis on defense, but concerned about the lack of playmakers to replace the ones we lost. If we can sign Lance Stephenson, then I am LOVING it.

11. JD88

JD88 Member

Charlotte will sign him, their team defense will skyrocket, and they will be the #1 seed in the east.

If they get Lance, they will be the #1 seed in the East. Their only problem was scoring, and he would fix all that and blend nicely with Jefferson and Kemba.

And I will sit here and say 'I told you so'.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

And if they aren't the #1 seed?

13. JD88

JD88 Member

Then Wiggins became an all-star overnight.

Assuming the Bobcats get Stephenson, you heard it here first.

14. roidrage

roidrage Member

Daryl Morey learned a lesson you can't trust players of just the word of them signing we should have kept Parsons for the minimum

15. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Love it. Dump some scumbags and maintain flexible

16. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I like the focus on defense. Ariza will hopefully be a great player for us. If he plays anything like he did for Washington (which was his contract year) then we won't miss Parsons, and we probably will not hate on Harden's lack of defense either (which i hope he changes). So a good Ariza is very important to the success of the team going forward.

Adrien + Dorsey should equal the impact that Asik had on the floor to a certain extent. Don't know much about Adrien, but Dorsey is probably a better finisher and has better hands than Asik, and that's not an accomplishment by any means but it is an upgrade. I hope that they can protect the rim when Howard isn't playing and are not handicapped when facing a stretch 4 like LMA, Dirk, Bosh, etc.

Obviously Troy Daniels is a +++, I think everyone on CF loves that dude for the way he played in the playoffs, I hope he got better on defense, ballhandling, or playmaking. Any upgrade in any of those 3 areas will make him a big part of the team going forward.
    Popnick I'm not too sure about. He didn't do amazing in Euroleague, but stats are very misleading over there. He's young, seems to have a decent IQ, and I'm sure he can improve on different facets of his game and be a good role player for us.

Our focus know needs to turn to ballhandling/playmaking. Harden cannot be the only one doing it for us. I like Bev and his tenacity on defense, but he is not the best PG ever. Either through the vet min or MLE, it would be great to get a PG who has experience in just handling the ball, playing hard D, and being a smart basketball player. Lin will be missed because he was another option, especially off the bench, but his TO's and tendency to rush and not be smart hurt us in more than a few games. We need to avoid that. We just need a smart player who is willing to play defense who is cheap. Any suggestions? Jameer Nelson comes up quite a bit, is there any interest being expressed by either us or him? Or any other PGs for that matter

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hear Baron Davis is trying to make a comeback, we should sign him, can't be considerably less valuable than Dorsey and Adrien.

18. errpac

errpac Member

I'm not going to lose my support for morey, I know why he did it. But there are no pros to losing parsons, Lin, and asik for what we got back. At least that's my view now, unless rockets get out of the first round this coming season. We could had afforded them and let their contract expire or by trade deadline expiring contracts value balloon. We could had afforded them and the roster would look better then what it looks now, and deeper. I know asik didn't want to be here, and why people dont like Lin. But both guys prove they can still give value. Lin is inconsistent but he gives us a decent 6th man, daniels is probably our 6th man this year, and I like it but I trust Lin more to setup teammates and also attack. At 5 mil toward cap they were actually good value during their time as a rocket, and their contract does go up this season. However we still wouldn't be over cap and would be a deeper team. Again I can't blame morey though, he gambled to get bosh or melo and it seems he was close to getting melo. I dont think he expected parsons would get the max, (I didn't and the people I talked to didn't either), morey probably would had matched if parson got anything up to 12-13 which is closer to his value.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Worst case scenario would be major injury to your stars, stars being traded away.
    Nobody wants to come Houston, even good role players.

We lose all our draft picks, young players become busts.

Believe me, this is far from the worst case scenario.