1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Oculus Rift??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eddiewinslow, Aug 28, 2013.

1. gah

gah Member

It can drop below 30 frames on new, not yet optimized games. I'm currently playing Syndicate in 1080P and it is running smoothly, if it didn't it would be Ubisoft's problem.

Avoiding low frame rates is the reason the 970 is the minimum recommended gpu. Don't argue with me, I already bought the card and they better not let me down. :p I do understand that it won't max the VR experience, Luckey has said as much.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I rember Palmer Luckey saying their goal was to give these things away for free and make money off purchases within the ecosystem, or something like that.

LOL

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah, you remembered wrong. That was never said.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The DK2 is amazing in Project Cars.

Even at $600....I'll probably still grab one.

I understand the high cost. Quality is needed....for all the brands that are releasing VR. Sony, HTC, Facebook/oculus. This is the chance to bring the technology alive to the masses, if it sucks....and you fail. The Chances of VR in the near future fails.

Sony will probably be a lower price, because it's tied to Sony's Console / proprietary....that's how they'll make their $$$ back. Rift on the PC etc, I for one will be using it on software beyond what they own.

STEAM VR is really going to help the industry, love using it / games that are VR ready. Can't really stand using the 3rd party software for ones that aren't optimized yet.

#64 Uprising, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True on 970 if you have AA and other stuff cranked...

I just know on my 970 at 1440p I just turn off the extras that don't do much at higher res (like AA and some of the other filters seem to be needed less in my experience the higher the res is, I do keep textures and actual details I can tell apart up though). I'm thinking you could maintain higher fps with a 970 being conservative with details you might not be able to see as well that really hit performance on rift. I do agree though... if you want everything cranked you're going to want to go more than 970. I'm also wondering how much AA/other filtering will play a role compared to playing on a high res monitor (I haven't tried the kits)?

I mean if you real need all filtering up max to play on this thing, then.. baseline specs kind of suck.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I haven't seen much fps below 30 (heck 60+ for most part) unless you hit the dreaded memory usage above 3.5 GB on the card. Nvidia really screwed up on that, the last 500mb of the card's memory is junk. The only game I've seen a harsh fps drop is on gta 5, and this is w/ playing at higher res (1440p) and then going in advanced menus and pushing passed 3.5 gb memory usage. I think as long as you're conservative with settings on the newer games coming later this year you'll be fine on a 970, I just wonder what you can get away with vs conventional monitor on settings before you can tell a difference.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I really hope oculus succeeds, because Sony doesn't have the best track record releasing peripherals for their consoles... Like right now I see it as Oculus basically being make or break for VR (for now), I mean hopefully it doesn't turn into virtual boy fiasco (haha, that was junk and not like this...), but if Oculus doesn't work out I can all but guarantee Sony will **** up... unless Sony makes it as part of a new console so dev's are forced to work on it (or it's super easy to implement)... 3rd party devs will probably skip it, much like they did the Move.

8. gah

gah Member

Yeah, for 1080p gaming the card should have me covered for at least until next year.

How big of a difference is 1440p vs. 1080p? Not being sure of this and the lack of media content at higher resolutions than 1080p have kept at bay my desire to upgrade to a higher resolution.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

1440p is a pretty big difference from 1080p, you won't need to turn on AA or other smoothing features as much (if at all), and even without those settings on 1440p everything starts out a lot sharper (you'll also sometimes get an advantage in certain games depending on the scaling).

Most games in the last 5+ years all have native 2560x1440 resolution now, and since the PC is actually re-doing the rendering everything looks sharper. You can actually get a pretty decent 2560x1440 monitor for $200 and up (starting with Korean rebrands). So for games you'll be covered. The best thing though is the amount of screen real estate for productivity, I mean you can get like 3 full size word docs/webpages on 1 monitor.

Here's a decent discussion on tech site discussing it with links: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1848290

1440p is basically the in between resolution from 1080p to 4k, and it shows. And with your 970 you could easily play with it vs 4k

1 person likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I tried this at CES, they had a demo of EDEN. It was pretty cool , but you feel dizzy after taking it off.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member