1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Oculus Rift??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eddiewinslow, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

2-3 years*

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Vivi manipulated the device to stop you from escaping from her presence.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Anyone else preorder the CV1 consumer version?

4. gah

gah Member

The higher than expected price put me off. I'll wait after launch and see how the Vive compares to it. One of them has to be a must have for me to lose a kidney.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Is that a joke? I built a gaming computer 10 years ago and it is a dinosaur compared to what I have today. Just because you can still browse clutchfans on your 10 year old computer doesn't mean GPU performance is stagnated.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm a little disappointed on price (kind of reeled in with $350 like everyone else)... But if the new version is better and there's a decent adoption I'm probably going to be in eventually. I just want to see how market does, I'm also interested in competitors hopefully forcing competitive pricing.

On a side note... on the initial pre-order... I'm not sure about needing xbox controller or the games.... It'd be nice to get barebones version. I'm also interested to see how oculus launches their app platform (I heard this is where they'll make money), and if app store does well on sales... Maybe price drop.

Lastly... I'm wondering how screen door effect looks on the new consumer version (if you guys get it let us know how it looks).

I'm interested and have the hardware to run it, I'm just worried I'd buy it and not use it a lot.... Lol, right now it's like I buy all the hardware and games and then don't use the damn thing. Hoping once projects slow down I'll have some time.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah gpu and displays (the high res and true fast refresh, not talking bull**** tv refresh with 60hz signal :) ) have been pushing it for sure. I mean I change out gpus every few years or sooner, processors less but those too. In 10 years I've gone through 3-4 builds... Hell in that time amd was on top with their early dual cores and then intel finally came out with their core processors (obviously cpu has been a bit stagnant vs gpu but it's still advancing, especially in mobile scene).

And also... Think about SSDs!! Something that can actually saturate channels (unlike conventional drives). I'm holding on the newer drives that just came out that use express but even that just made a crazy leap like 500MB/s to 1500 MB/s read!!! I have a few solid state drives and that is one of the coolest upgrades for older systems (even if they have older SATA channels) by far. That technology was barely there 10 years ago, and the early ones suffered ****ty write speeds, these new ones (even the cheaper ones) are killer.

8. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I would love to get it but the price it would take to have a good enough computer and buy this is ridiculous.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Price point is too high. Facebook need to learn from Sony and Microsoft to subsidize their game system (I know, it can do so much more).

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Palmer Luckey did an AMA that touches on some of these things (and much more):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3zt7ul/i_am_palmer_luckey_founder_of_oculus_and_designer/

As an example:
    Could be BS, and while they might not be making money, they might not be losing (much) money either. I doubt they'd take a ~$300 hit per unit, but perhaps they could take off $100 or so (unless they already are). Not sure if that would make much of a difference though, and maybe they'd be better off spending that on marketing or whatever.

It definitely seems they went for high quality parts. Whether it was worth it is up for debate.

I can't remember if I posted earlier in the thread, but yeah, I'll probably wait it out for a year or two. I'm definitely interested, but I want to see the price come down some as well as see what kind of software can justify these high costs. Whether it's this, PSVR, HTC Vive, etc., a system like this probably won't be cheap.

11. Yonkers

It's definitely an early adopters game right now. Not for everyone... not even for gamers. But just keep in mind the Kindle was $400 when it first came out. Now you can get one for $60. So hopefully VR will take off and you guys will be buying $200 versions soon enough.
    But I'll definitely post my review when I get it. I have the Rift DK2 and have really enjoyed it.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not sure it will hit critical mass at that price point.

DD

13. Bandwagoner

How is it doing with your game on various hardware?

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I wanted one, but not for $600.

15. Yonkers

It won't at that price. That price is early adopters pricing. But if it proves popular enough, critical mass price might meet in the middle so it might not need to get down to $200 right away. General population is willing to shell out that much for consoles.

16. Bandwagoner

As already stated, you need serious hardware to run this thing. The GPU alone would be close to 600. This is essentially a display for a high end gaming system. An Asus ROG costs over 700 bucks right now. Console plebs would have little problem spending 600 on the TV they are using.

17. Yonkers

That's why it's exciting to have new technology like foveated rendering coming out. That will lower the requirements for the PC, which makes it so much more accessible by the masses.

18. gah

gah Member

You can cut that 600 in half. GTX 970s have gone on sale for as low as 240 bucks. Still expensive nonetheless.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

20. Bandwagoner

The 970 can drop below 30 frames on newer games like Syndicate in 1080P which will be horrible with a higher resolution VR that is way more taxing. Low frame rates lead to motion sickness and even more so where you cannot look away from the display.

I'm not saying the high price WON'T scare people off, I'm just saying right now the price isn't as crazy because it is a small part of a an expensive gaming system.

#60 Bandwagoner, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016