1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Game 3 Rockets vs. Lakers summer league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LA's #1 Rocket Fan, Jul 15, 2001.

1. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Another Great post!!

Thanks LA#1

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

2. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Thanks Dallas Rocket for the complement. Griffin started at PF today and I believe only played at PF. Langhi started at SF but also played alittle guard. TRock got 14pts I think, and most if not all of it in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Dr of Dunk LOL I didn't know I used bam so much [​IMG] I never try to miss any games in chat unless I have class. I usually use the screename rocketime or rocket heart.

pippendagimp Eddie Griffin's game is really more of a power foward so far but this is what the rockets have him play in the summer league. On offense if he's inside he's been mostly posting up or boxing out for rebounds, it's not easy for denfenders to play infront of him with is long arms and powerful legs(he's got a small waist but got big legs and calfs). If he's not inside then hes out at the top to ease defense on the guards by getting the pass from double teams then passing it left or right depending on where the pass comes from. Or hes setting picks and poping the 20ft. What I notice about him is he looks to pass the ball inside often much like Horry does to shaq(he's been pretty good also at finding cutters like TRock inside). He doesn't drive much or handle the ball at all. If it's in his hands he's going to dribble and post up or not dribble and pass. The times that he does try and drive in he got his shots blocked. He does take alot of perimeter shots and takes it even if he misses his last 5 if he's open he will continue to shoot which to me indicates he's a shooter not a driver(IMO). As for defense he's almost always inside defending and getting ready for blocks and rebounds. Most of his blocks come from blocking his own man, but occasionally will help weak side and get a block on a driving player that beats his man to the basket. Like Sky has said if his man drives in he has a less chance of blocking or defending it. I think he will complement Mo Taylor well on offense since Mo likes to drive and can beat his man and Mo can handle it outside(he did play SF for the clippers his rookie year) while EG likes to post inside. Technically I see Mo as the PF out there with a SF game and EG out there playing as the SF but with a PF game(but this is just my opionion so don't kill me please) [​IMG] He's attitude seems positive out there, doesn't get in to pushing fights and always high fives or bump hands with team mates almost every time when play stops.

As for Terence on offense he does handle the ball often and will walk it up the court if he has to without any problems(looks confident at it). What I mean is that he can dribble it up against a defender but he doesn't try and set it up in a half court game. He loves to drive in and really can, even if he gets the ball knocked out of his hands he usually does get it back while driving in(he can drive but usually gets stop by the double team often). He can get by his man for a shot(not a layup though)but prefers to pass it out if he can't get to the basket. If he gets a pass inside he will put it up quick(does not try and post it up first or dribble it). He can pop it outside with some consistency. Has 3pt range. Usually shots a set shot. He will run down the court quick if a fast break occurs and looks for the pass to drive in. He seems to always look for a fast break. He does drive in without the ball(cutter) and looks for the pass. On defense he can guard a player driving in. He usually will play outside defending. Occasionally will try and block another man's player that drives in(doesn't usually get the block but will intimidate them for a miss).

Dan Langhi can play SG or SF and has in this summer league. On Offense he's the complete package. Of the 3(EG,TM,DL) he's the only one that I notice that will take a perimeter shot after dribbling and beating his man. He can pull up, drive in, shoot 3's, everything. Has a sweet smooth shot. Either it hits nothing but net or nothing at all(airball). And his hieght helps him shoot over smaller players(I haven't seen him get blocked yet). If he post up it's usually around out around 20ft(I know strange place to do that) then backs in about 15ft and takes the shot. He's quick on getting his shot off while driving. Looks comfortable shooting anywhere on the court. If he get's the ball on the far left 3pt line he looks to go all the way to the rim for a dunk or layup. On defense he could use alittle work. He gets caught in picks and screens often. He's usually outside defending. Looks comfortable playing guard but IMO I think he's better as a SF.

Again these are just my observations and opinions [​IMG] Thanks Nutcraker, Tacoma Park Legend, Tolpatcsh Verkinder, kim, New Kid on the Block, Alaskansnowman, Det the Threat, Carlit0 and everyone for your nice comments.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LA's #1 Rocket Fan (edited July 16, 2001).]

3. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

LARocket, thanks for the additional information and for addressing specific questions. And yes, the paragraphs make it much easier for the reader, esp. on a long post.

Guess we'll have to call Langhi "Smooth" from here on in!! [​IMG]

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What can I say LA Rocket. Your posts are just what a bb fan needs. It makes you feel like you saw the game. Can't help comparing it to the formulaic recaps by the Chronicle writers.

------------------

5. harumph

harumph Member

LA #1,

thanks for reporting about Axel D's game 2 (and I see some more about his game 3 [​IMG]) for me.

As I'm not an English teacher, I will not comment about your grammer etc. Just like your reporting style (you get me excited about the game from reading the recap!).

If you can't get tickets yourself for the LA Rockets games, any chance of someone on the BBS getting you (via the ROX) a couple of tixs (bring the girl in your photo [​IMG]) so you can write a report for the games there? If you don't have assignments/exams to worry about that is (I'm a student too).

------------------
    "Hakeem gets a 3 with the final shot" - my second favorite moment of 95 finals

6. Old School

Old School Member

2 seconds? They showed 4 players scoring (Langhi, Collier, Griffin and Morris). That's pretty tough in just 2 seconds. Props to ch 2...that's the first summer camp highlights I've seen so far and I watch all the stations to try to catch some.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Great job LA! How does the team chemistry look on the court/bench? Players seem to be working well together?

A great comeback victory like this will help build their confidence.

Thanks again for your report and maybe you've just given Eddie is first nickname "Bam Bam"

------------------

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Great recap LA! One thing I don't like is the fact that Griffin is playing a lot of PF. I hope the Rockets aren't going to try to fit him in there and not re-sign Mo. I think that Griffin can cause a lot of problems at the SF spot. This Axel Dench looks nice, he and Collier can give the Rockets some solid minutes off the bench.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Collier had 2 rebs in 25 mins vs LAC and 1 reb in 24 mins against LAL. I know he is coming off an injury but shouldn't 7' 260lb guys be able to get more than that just based on size and position alone?

------------------

10. rock

rock Member

Great recap, L.A.s #1 Rocket Fan. I've enjoyed them all. Very thorough and informative. Great info on the players. Keep up the good work.

------------------

11. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

RocksMillenium I totally agree with you I think the rockets should get EG more SF playing time but the rockets really don’t have any PFs that can match up to other teams PFs in this summer league. Though DL and Trock have the height they don’t have the size or game of a PF, though some might consider JC a PF he is just right now rehabilitating and is way to slow even for the C position, V Hamilton could play PF with his 6-11 size and speed but he’s really a C and I don’t think he’s good enough to start as a PF, so technically the rockets have only EG as a PF. As for the C position Axel Dench is playing well and he could provide what RT likes(outside shooting, size, 3pt range) and I would say that he has a good chance of making the team but if we sign all of our FA we are so full and talented right now it‘s hard for anyone to make the team(It looks like we don‘t even have space for anyone, we might have to cut some of our own players if we don‘t do a trade). but as for JC he’s just lost right now in offense and defense, he’s not really rebounding or intimidating(got dunked on hard a few times) JC is really putting effort out there though, I feel for him, I know he is much better than what he’s shown here in the SL.

Shark44 the team playing and chemistry is 100% better now than the first game. Players are slowing it down and looking to set up plays rather than taking it one on one. EG looks great, he is probably the only player(that I seen) that goes to look for someone(that scored or got foul) to highfive and bump hands when play stops. I mean other players do bump hands but only if they are close to that person EG goes to that person. SC is now looking for the open man when he gets doubled. Somehow they never let go(or get down) even when they were down by 18. I love the coaching staff, they are always supportive, I mean the other coaches from other teams are always hollering at their players telling them do this, do that, be here, be there, no no, hey you, look, they are just really mean and negative but the rockets coaching staff doesn’t look angry when a turnover happens or when a shot doesn’t fall they really act like this is for you to practice, you learn, you try, it’s ok, we all want to win but if not at least we tried and put out effort. Helps get everyone comfortable and not afraid of making mistakes. That’s just the way I see it, just MHO, I could be wrong though [​IMG] Things look good out there and most everyone is positive.

Thanks glynch, harmuph, old school, crash5179, rock and everyone else for your comments.

------------------