1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on coach McHale now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, Mar 9, 2014.

1. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Firstly, clutch if there is a more relevant thread, please merge or delete this thread, I had a quick look and didn't see too much current McHale discussion.

Since the first half of the season was marred by many a fire McHale thread, I'm just trying to get everyone's thoughts on coach now. Have many changed their mind about him? I too was frustrated but he's made some good adjustments and I think I am coming around.

Tonight for example was a great example of a coach making adjustments.

1 person likes this.
  2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Kevin McHale coached a great game. He never gave up on the team and didn't let them give up on themselves even though there were several times during the game that the players body language suggested that they were ready to call it a night.

3. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Actually I really think he shouldve put DMo in the 4th when Aldridge was beasting and as a result Harden picked up those fouls. I thought Dmo wouldve been able to defend him well without fouling.

Overall though im pretty OK with him as our coach because all the players respect him and listen to him. That is a big reason why the team is so close and has good chemistry. He is a father figure for them.

4. Roxs-Redemption

Coach of the month again? Too soon?

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Glad he stayed with the small ball lineup. Think it provided the necessary mismatches for us to comeback and steal this one.

6. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

McHale's letting Lin take the clipboard and pen more often. :p

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Lin did some good coaching in the 4th and OT. :D

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That idiot got a technical foul. If he didn't, the game doesn't even go to overtime! :p

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

hell yea after this win, he should win coach of the month.

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

As good as we have played they will proberbly try to share the award around and give it to doc rivers.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I actually like McHale. He made sensible gambles (that won and lost us games) but its not like they were unnecessary ones. The only part of his coaching I didnt like was the fact that he kept a pretty short rotation even during the long regular season but i'm glad he has adjusted and has given Dmo was playing time - where he has proven to be vital in some games.

13. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

He's still a mediocre coach, but it feels less important because we're winning :)

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Man I was skeptical at the 3 guard lineup and since Lin played bad lately but proved me wrong. All the LOFs should look at that and see how much faith Mac. Had in him.

15. AFS

AFS Member

Who would you take out to put DMo in? They were playing small ball with the three guards, Parsons, and Dwight. It was an effective lineup.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I didn't think the hate was ever deserved, he has overachieved ever since he first got here... people that blame Mchale are the same ones that freak out over every play.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I wasn't too keen on the Twin Towers lineup late in the first half, but overall he coached a good game and he's been solid since the new year. I think having a healthy roster obviously helps. He's not one of those coaches who's a master at getting the most out of a depleted team. But the execution lately has been good in close games, they're no longer taking crappy opponents lightly, and they've come back and won more than a few(i.e. Wizards, in Phoenix, tonight) that they would've lost earlier in the season.

18. YourSecretLover

he is improving and has great chemistry with our players. proud of the whole organization

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

I think the revelation that we intentionally don't call many plays and Morey encouraging players to create out of random ball screens puts less pressure on McHale's in game coaching abilities and more focus on his leadership abilities (which is why Morey hired him in the first place).

20. clutz

clutz Member