1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Austin Rivers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation97, May 10, 2015.

1. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

I can't stand Austin Rivers.

This was even before he was allowed to run rampant in Game 3, too.

This is a guy who relied on his heavily successful father to swoop in and save him after under-performing with the Pelicans.

After executing only 38.7% of his field goals and just 28% from 3-point range in the 2014-15 season, Pelicans' coach Monty Williams decided against picking up Rivers' option and letting his rookie contract expire, subsequently releasing Austin to free agency.

It is thought, however, that Williams was doing Austin a favor as he holds loyalty to Doc Rivers after playing together in the '94 Knicks and the '96 Spurs, and when Monty was coached by Rivers with Orlando Magic in 1999.

Now, with this sheer run of luck that took place after Austin was born into a family of basketball prominence and wealth, is it still an achievement that he managed to make it as far as the NBA? I guess so. Is it really that impressive? Not really.

Without his rich daddy pulling the strings, Austin Rivers would not be in the position he is today.

But what really tipped me over the edge, was when he hit a big-time 3, and imitated Harden's 'stirring the pot' celebration.

[​IMG]

Austin, I really am happy for you putting up such big numbers in Game 3. Had we been able to play the injured defensive menace that is Patrick Beverley, it would have been a different story.

However, as a 22-year-old, you should know your place in this league. That place is not taunting the runner-up MVP of the association, whose level of talent you will never reach, and who you should have the utmost respect for.
    Even ESPN's Kevin Harlan, who has been persistently biased against Houston for the entire series, sounded embarrassed about the action, saying Rivers "needs to be careful" about how far he allows this new-found confidence to take him, and that stealing the other team's best player's signature celebration was taking it too far.

This series has been filled with ups and downs. My guess is that Game 4 will decide who has the best shot at advancing. If we continue to allow Blake Griffin to own the paint, and a back-up PG to score 15 points in four minutes, it's not going to be the Rockets.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

last season's corey brewer

3. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Austin is a classic case of leaving college too early.

The guy just did not seem ready for NBA basketball. However saying that, he shows glimpses of a productive player when his role is limited. I don't expect he'll ever be worthy of the 10th pick but he should make a nice backup guard if he works hard enough.

Don't get me wrong, i don't like him but he's improving as a player, let's see if he keeps striving for that limited ceiling

4. MattM

MattM Member

When I saw him stir the pot it made me think that it's all going down for the Flippers. Rivers stirring the pot was the apex of their season.

Rockets will finally play angry and will steamroll the Flips in game 4

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Doc has resurrected his career.

DD

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

The stiring was the crack that broke the back. I expect the Rockets to pounce on the clippers thanks to coaches son

7. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

I remember when he was #1 coming out of highschool
    Shame he never lived up to his potential

8. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Do you guys really believe stirring the pot is worse than talking trash to someone's mother? Really??

The Rockets should respond with aggression, but not because of Rivers. Because they are down 1-2 and tonight is a must win.

1 person likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kevin McHale must be Austin's real father. Kevin is having his team help Austin look great.

J.R. and rocketsregle like this.
  10. a711

a711 Member

Other than the 09 team, which ended up being like all role players, the Rockets just have not had luck with role players stepping up in the post season.

It was the major reason for losses in 05, 07, 08, and 14.

It takes role players to win playoff series. Someone has to step up.

We had the Josh Smith game against the Mavs. That's it.

11. bmd

bmd Member

I mean, if I was Harden I wouldn't like it. But as a fan it doesn't bother me. He's a cocky **** for how bad his career has been so far, but it's just trash talk.

12. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Classic :)

13. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

We thought the same when Harden came in second for the MVP.
    We thought the same when Barnes talked smack to Hardens mom.

I'm just thinking the Rockets don't have that extra fight in them.

1 person likes this.
  14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Could not believe my eyes, or ears (entire stadium chanting his name). Thanks to our utterly limp D, a star was born. My sole, cold comfort: Austin Rivers did not present his turgid manhood to Harden's mother after the game.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He;s playing like a top 10 pick.

oh wait he wassssss a top 10 pick.

16. likestohypeguy

Did anyone ask for a reaction from doc about it? I'd be curious if he disapproved or not, or indifferent.

17. RESINator

RESINator Member

I'm getting sick of scrubs going off on us. Against any other team he would be garbage.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Rockets have made scrubs look like Hall of Famers for years. When you don't defend and allow players to take HORSE shots a lot of folks can "go off."

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The stirring the pot thing was coming Harden's way one way or another.

However, notice how Rivers does the smug duck lips at the same time. Nice one.

20. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

We always let randoms go off on us. Always.. we gotta get back focused.