1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts (not negative) about KT...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidS, Sep 28, 2002.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

We've been watching KT for his whole career and seen his game improve
    a lot over the last 3 years.

We've seen his PPG increase from 8.2 to 14.1.

We've seen his FG% increase from 39.9 to 47.8!

We've seen his MPG increase from 25 to 34.5.

We've seen his RPG increase from 6.1 to 7.2.

The one thing that KT has is heart! He always competes!

A pet peeve of mine was this...
    KT used to have this bad habit of "screaming" when he drove
    to the lane and though he should have gotten a foul called.
    Sometimes the refs would bite. But most of the time they would
    ignore Kenny's *drama queen act.* "Help me, I've fallen
    and I can't get up!" :D

Nevertheless, KT doesn't do this anymore. He never gives up
    on a play now. And if he gets his shot blocked or stolen he gets
    back on defense instead of looking at the refs for the call.

The big (or small question) about KT has been his size. He's a TWEENER!
    He's was too fat/slow to play SF, and too short/small to play PF. Or at least
    he didn't have a natural position.

His success in the POST has always been his tenacity. His success on the
    WING has always been his ability to shoot or drive.

So, he has both PF and SF skills. But, not really dominate at either.

Now, if you've been listening to the news lately, you've heard that KT has lost
    even more weight than last year.

My question to you guys is this:

Do you think that KT's natural position is SF?

KT's game has always reminded me of a taller, but slower Shandon Anderson.

I always thought that if KT was ever able to get into "Shandon Anderson" shape,
    he might become a dominate SF. At 6'7", this would be a better position for KT.

What do ya think?

#1 DavidS, Sep 28, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2002
  2. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

You're right, he has a little bit of both worlds but can't dominate any position. I really don't see him playing the 3. He just doesn't look like he'll be able to defend R. Lewis, L. Odom, J. Rose, D. Nowitski. He's too slow. Best thing would be to trade him off and get in return a defensive, versatile, tall, quick player like Jerome Williams or Stacey Augmon

3. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

Damn it! We need a JUNK YARD DOG!

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think JYD is one of only a few players that work harder to improve than k9 does. he is a better rebounder, and he can defend the 4 and 3 better than kt.

5. coke

coke Member

His height showed he belong at the 3 position.....

6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Kenny is our most physical player- I want him to stay...

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

jerome williams will be twice a physical. he will bring the fire we need to make the playoffs.

8. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

I think KT could b as good as Jerome Williams if he is dedicated to playing like Jerome plays. He needs the heart and the agression to play like that. KT has heart but not to b a junk yard dog

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You are kidding right? He is one player that is capable of bricking more shots then Terrence Morris.

I for one think that KT can be a pretty good 3. I don't believe he is as slow as some people make him out to be. He is constantly abe to drive past the 4's of the league. If he has slimmed down even more he might be even quick enough to drive past some 3's.

He hopefully has practiced on his jump shot this offseason as well. I really wish he is on our roster when the season starts.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with R0ckets03. Kenny is blazing fast. I don't expect many SFs to stay in front of him anymore than the PFs.

Here's why: Kenny doesn't just get passed his man; he beats the weakside help that tries desperately to close on him, as well. He often gets all the way to the rim. That is fast for anyone, because the weakside's responsibility is to stop him getting to the rim.

SFs like Peja, Fox, Rashard, Battier, Corliss, Rice, Van Horn, Smith, Nowitzki have a tough time driving all the way to the rim more than Vince, Pierce, Sprewell. The first group gets a step and spacing and shoots, or they aren't even slashers at all. That's because they can't get through the weakside help. I'm not advocating this offense for Kenny, but it is an observation of speed, nonetheless. Nowitzki is very successful, but he does not have the speed that Vince, Pierce and Sprewell do. We talk about SFs like they are all fast. They aren't. Kenny as fast or faster than many of them, right now.

11. Sane

Sane Member

If KT has truly slimmed down again this offseason, then I'd love to see a future KT/Nachbar combo at the 3. So many different looks.

I kinda always thought of KT as a shorter Reef.

Personally, I think KT can potentially be an excellent backup, but can never be a starter in the league. Off the bench, he brings some great mismatches.

If he really is slimmed down, and is a tiny bit quicker (laterally), the I can see him as the backup SF next year when/if Rice retires or we trade him. With KT, Nachbar and OT playing the 3, we'd have 3 great looks. Plus, OT can also get minutes backing up the 2, and KT can also be a 3rd string PF. So the minuts would be there, IF Rice is gone.

12. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Against the Celtics last year, KT was one of the more successful players guarding Paul Pierce, who's a fairly quick SF...

How can you think that Kenny's D on SF's would be any worse than Walt, or Rice for that matter?

13. DavidS

If we know Rudy, MoT will probably start at PF, and then experiment
    with EG at PF too (purdy please!).

That means that we have a three man rotation at the SF spot.
    I don't mind this considering that we have some good talent
    at SF that will give us different styles:

6'9" Nachbar
    6'8" Rice
    6'7" Thomas

But I have to tell ya...
    having Nachbar, Griffin and Ming on the court at the same time
    will give us a formidable frontcourt at 6'9", 6'10" and 7'5"!!!

Throw Rice in there for some outside shooting and Thomas for
    some versatility. I'd say that we have a good bench at the 3 spot.

As HeyP/Sane said, I don't think people realize how fast KT is...he's no slouch.
    And, KT does have an above the rim game. I've seen him thrown down
    some dunks that were hellacious! Add the fact that he's slimed down
    this coming year will only add to this effectiveness/speed.

All we need to worry about know is getting Nachbar and Rice healthy.

#13 DavidS, Sep 29, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2002
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really like Kenny Thomas.

But Nowitzki can mop the floor from the three-point line to the rim with him :D.

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

That's obvious...but the point wasn't that Kenny T was better than one of the best players in the league, it was that he is probably faster/quicker than him. Nowitzki can get by people because he is a great shooter and you can't play off of him to prevent a drive.

I would love to see a KT/Nachbar platoon at the 3 in the future. Let them split the money and minutes for the position and 90% of our lineup issues could be resolved. (assuming KT has improved his shot and is a little quicker now) Kenny has worked so hard for the Rockets, both at improving his game and adapting it for the positions needed, that he deserves to stay a Rocket.

16. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Here's sumthin positive----ALL KT haters suck!:D

17. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

It's not the fact I hate KT. I like KT and I like his desire and heart but......c'mon man, it's either him or Griffin. Doesn't take a rocket scientist. ****** MOT ain't goin nowhere.

18. drpepper

drpepper Member

my 2 cents,

MoT isn't fat anymore. He's actually become pretty dominant from the reports being posted.

Kenny is not a three. He doesn't have the handles, nor a consistant shot from outside to be one so far.

Kenny is a forward, period. There are alot of players like him in the league. I like him for what he is, a good reserve. All teams need good reserves. If we were to trade Kenny for some back up defensive 2, it could cost us dearly.

Why? you ask.

Well let's say Mo comes back with a vengence this season and reinjures his achilies in December. Now what? We have Eddie start the rest of the season and play 25-30 min., who else can we plug in? Not TMo, not Boki, Rice? yea right. The only one I could think of is Jason "paper" Collier. Now thats scary!

We need Kenny as a mop up, garbage time, foul eating player that can score, rebound, and slap some balls away in the post at times. Someone to put on the other teams starting four to rough them up while our two studs are getting some rest. Somewhat like Najera is in Dallas. A luxury if you will.

Only thing Kenny needs to do is share the ball a little more when he doesn't have a shot. But actually, most of our starters need to do that.

Let's play as a team this season.

I'm done.

19. DavidS

Yep, this is a *dream* that a lot of people in Houston are waiting for:
    "Let's play as a team this season. "

Not just one player in ISO, and four of bystanders.