1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Thought's about Dwight Howards "regression"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Quite a few people have voiced their concerns over Dwights subpar, yet still productive last season with the Lakers. Alot of this centers (hah) around his back injury he sustained in Orlando. While he had surgery in April, given that he sat out games before this with a 'sore back' there shouldn't be much doubt this was affecting him way before the 'injury' against the sixers;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P5xKzEZHvHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With a full recovery given 5 months later (a month before the season), he should've been fine, right? The fact of the matter is, I really don't think some people are grasping the magnitude and severity of the injury Dwight had. A herniated disk is very much up there with some of the worst injuries to have. But perhaps more importantly, this is an ELITE all-world bigman, whos game is predicated largely on his athleticism/physical prowess. Such a layoff or injury rather completely throws off the training programs of athletes who push their bodies from both a conditioning aspect/weight room/etc, perhaps none moreso than Dwight Howard. Now imagine for the better part of your existence in the NBA, you have had an umblemished run in terms of injuries.

This affords you no setbacks/disturbances in how you approach your training, and a such you have a player (whose game is predicated on athleticism) who has had a good 8 years straight of impeccable nutrition and work ethic in the gym. An injury as serious as a herniated disk/ACL tear is catastrophic to this. Because more than the injury layoff, or time for the tendon/bone/etc to heal there is regression in the body that has taken years to achieve. Look no further than the difference between Yao's calves after his last injury. This isn't your local player at the gym who was back after 6 weeks after an MCL injury, this is an ELITE ATHLETE. Even the most minute dropoffs in physical performance can mean the world of difference.

There are certain parallels between the Rose/Howard situation, however Rose only now, has deemed himself 100% fit, which in my mind point to him being having the speed/agility/etc of a pre-injury Rose. Dwight wasn't afforded this. He has severe nerve issues in his foot due to the back issues and barely a month before the season was thrown to the wolves to play himself back into shape, which many would agree he did by the end of the season.

So theres no need to fret about Dwight's health now in my opinion. Last year should serve as an anomaly in Dwights career (which was still very good) and he's only going to get healthier from this point on.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think we are going to get a recovered Howard.

22.3 PPG 13.4 rebounds 2.5 blocks and a steal.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Theres really no reason to think that we wont. A bit of patience will do/ has done wonders.

4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

we have a well balanced team

i am fine with just 16 points, 11 rebs, 2 blks, 50% + FG%

5. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

forget who said it but if 17 and 11 is a bad year, i'll take it...as long as he stays healthy (with asik backing him up, it should be easier than normal to manage his minutes) we're good, with harden, parsons, lin etc. he doesn't have to spend so much energy on offense, just focus on glass and paint

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't worry the injury so much as Howard's tread and the way his game relies so much on athleticism. Remember he did come out high school and has played deep into the playoffs majority of his seasons.

Howard is at an age where he does need to add something more to his game in order to sustain his production as he get near 30 and 10+ seasons. I really doubt we get Orlando Howard similar to how we didn't have the Orlando T-Mac. I'm more optimistic about Howard because he doesn't have an injury history. But I'm still cautious nonetheless.

1 person likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm with you. My guess is 20/15 + the Rockets defense will be much better.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Even with a ball hogging Kobe, Dwight average 18.4 and 13.6 after the all-star break. With our pace and people passing to Dwight, I can see 22 and 14.5 easily assuming he plays 35 minutes.

9. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

The physical aspect is healed...and now with LA's behavior and the national media, D12 has the mental motivation to prove them wrong. That's a very dangerous combo for the rest of the league. I look for a spectacular season.

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Boy, the haters are gonna have a field day if he puts up those numbers with us. If healthy, there's no way he's averaging less than what he averaged with the Lakers with a bad back and a torn shoulder labrum.

11. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

I can somewhat agree OP. I had a herniated disc a couple of years ago and I recovered close to 90 - 95% without surgery. These injuries are chronic and people never recover from them usually. But Dwight is an elite level athlete and has world class training staff to help him recover so I would look at his future in a positive mood.

12. MONON

MONON Member

I'll gladly take a 20/12, 30 mpg season from Dwight. I also want only 35 mpg from Harden.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yes. What a steal.

14. Classic

Classic Member

Gimme that on this roster. All day. Tired of hearing all this decline **** out of the LA media. Dwight will beast.

15. conquistador#11

i'm predicting 24pts and 14 rbds in a non sticky icky offense. if the balls get sticky, well it's not going to be a good out come.

16. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

those are solid # for a Center

we have much more talent on our team than the Lakers and Asik will be able to play solid mins so we don't need Dwight playing 40 mins a game

17. treeman

treeman Member

I am not worried about it at all. They obviously rushed him back and gave him the stamp of health a bit too early. I think you are right about the effect the loss of conditioning had.

I think we're getting healthy Dwight, too.

18. monster

monster Member

19. roswell raygun

Not only should he be better physically, he won't have the contract distractions of the past two seasons. He knows where he's going to be for at least the next 3 seasons and he won't have to answer questions every day about his future.
    A healthy, focused and motivated Dwight Howard could be ready for a monster season.

20. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

i can see 24pts/15 boards this season.