1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Those of you wanting to get rid of Daryl Morey are DEAD WRONG!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 2, 2016.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don't like Morey, because he always finds excuses for his failure.

If any GM said that

"Coach is not that important..."

"Team chemistry is overrated..."

Sorry, the GM should be fired right away!!!

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Meanwhile, the Warriors sucked, picked in the lottery, got Steph Curry, traded no-defense chucker Monta Ell for Bogut, soft tanked, got Harrison Barnes, and won a championship, then won 73 regular season games en route to repeating as champions.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Morey was not allowed to tank and get a franchise player through the draft.

He's had to build a team and acquire a franchise player in a much more difficult way. So it means he has to do a lot of trading up to get good players.

All of the past NBA Finals winners have a franchise player who was picked very high in the draft because their teams sucked the year before.

Morey wasn't allowed to suck to get a high draft pick and a franchise player.

4. bmd

bmd Member

He never said coaching was not important.

He was talking about in-game decision making by coaches. He was saying the decisions coaches make during games could change wins/losses by only a few games a year.

Therefore, IN-GAME coaching does not matter. He was not talking about coaching overall. He knows that who the coach is definitely matters.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If we only had Sam Presti, think of how many championships we would have by now!!!

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

There were plenty of other players that could be had and he didn't choose those he chose the ones that we have. My point is that those are the circumstances that ALL GM's have and so if you aren't going to compare him to them then who else are you comparing him too? Your posts reads as if we should just be happy with regular season wins and not if question if anyone else can do better in the post season after 10 years of Morey.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Except it does more than anything deep in the playoffs. That's a very shortsighted comment considering everything we've been through with JBB in just the regular season this year.

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I will counter by saying if we float inbetween not winning anything and being in the playoffs, that is not good enough. With that, all we need is for him to NOT be involved in on court decisions.

9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Repped!!

10. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Which is better:

a.) Be terrible for 8 of 10 years and be really, really great for 2 years. (Warriors)

or

b.) Be semi-good for 10 years but never great (Rockets)

I choose b. It's better to watch semi-decent basketball year-in and year-out, even if you never win.

11. bmd

bmd Member

He damn-near got Chris Bosh here. Chris Bosh backed out and that ruined everything.

He was left to pick up some scraps he could find.

Corey Brewer wasn't the perfect fit, but he was available. Josh Smith wasn't the perfect fit, but he was available.

He can only do what he can with the players that are available.

12. bmd

bmd Member

It doesn't have to be an either/or.

13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

" IN-GAME coaching does not matter." ????

Morey should also be fired because of this!!!

If you watch the game of Spurs vs Thunder now, you will understand.

Even Spurs can make some stupid mistakes, but they have great coach Pop who can make IN-GAME adjustments. So they won't worry about their mistakes in first quarter too much!!!

14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Spurs again proves Morey is an idiot!!!

IN-GAME coaching is ****ing important!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Can you actually show me where and when he said this? Because, in the press conference last week he basically said the opposite of this.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So lemme get this straight, JBs in game decisions cost us 41 games? Did Kevin McHale's in game decisions cost us the GS series? Yeah, I didn't think so.

We lost those series in training camp, not in game. Defense has to be this team's number one priority. Morey is not only on board with that, he said that.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mauri is vastly over-rated around here

Yeah he has the 4th winningest record or whatever but it doesn't mean **** when we haven't come remotely close to winning it all. We have always been playoff fodder under his regime. His lack of proper respect for coaching is often exposed during the playoffs

Honestly, I'd rather have the Heat record or Lakers over the Murray tenure with a Champioship Ring or two to top it up than our 4th winningest

This is just another silly cop out used to defend Maury. He uses the same tactic and the kool aiders fall for it

1 person likes this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

^Great take.

The village idiot would have rather have won a championship that not won a championship. This is higher level thinking.

We are dealing with one of the best intellects of our generation here folks. I hope you all appreciate it as much as I am.

1 person likes this.
  19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Talking about idiots.... Here is the #1 idiot and zero basketball knowledge delusional kool aider.

1 person likes this.
  20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's starting to sound desperate that all we're hearing lately is how many winning(or .500) seasons the Rockets have had under Les. I like regular seasons wins, but what I want as a fan is playoff success. And we rarely get any of that with this franchise over the last 19 years.

Look at those other 3 teams in your list of Top 4 in winning percentage since 2008. You know what they all have in common? They all won titles during that 9 year stretch. And the Spurs and Celtics came within a quarter of winning a 2nd(actually, San Antonio came within a defensive rebound).

Let's dig a little deeper and look at what those 4 teams did over those 9 years in the postseason:

Spurs - 2008(WCF), 2009(1st Round), 2010(2nd Round), 2011(1st Round), 2012(WCF), 2013(NBA Finals), 2014(NBA Title), 2015(1st Round), 2016(TBD)
    Mavs - 2008(1st Round), 2009(2nd Round), 2010(1st Round), 2011(NBA Title), 2012(1st Round), 2013(Lottery), 2014(1st Round), 2015(1st Round), 2016(1st Round)
    Celtics - 2008(NBA Title), 2009(2nd Round), 2010(NBA Finals), 2011(2nd Round), 2012(ECF), 2013(1st Round), 2014(Lottery), 2015(1st Round), 2016(1st Round)
    Rockets - 2008(1st Round), 2009(2nd Round), 2010(Lottery), 2011(Lottery), 2012(Lottery), 2012(Lottery), 2013(1st Round), 2014(1st Round), 2015(WCF), 2016(1st Round)

The only team that comes close to performing as poorly as the Rockets in that stretch is the Mavs and they won a title in 2011. Plus prior to 2008, they were routinely having success in the playoffs dating back to 2001(Dirk's 3rd season). This is simply the tail end of the Dirk era and Cuban is trying to delay the inevitable rebuild that must come. But they've been a very good franchise over the last decade and a half.

I cut Morey some slack on the fact that injuries derailed the Yao-McGrady tandem just as he had surrounded them with a great supporting cast. And yes, Les did force him to do a rebuild without tanking. But what I don't agree with is this notion that his rebuild on the fly has been some sort of great success. The Rockets got to the WCF last season, but otherwise they've been first round fodder since acquiring James Harden. And now we're looking a very uncertain offseason and another potential rebuild if they don't get very luck in free agency.

Is this what fans are content with? Rebuilding every 3-4 years? We went through it starting in 2009 when it became clear that Yao's feet would never allow him to play in the NBA again. Not the fault of Morey or Les. But they chose to not tank. That IS on them. So we stockpiled assets until 2012 when we lucked into Harden. Then a year later we snagged Dwight from the Lakers when they imploded. After one mostly successful playoff run and 2 first round knockouts, here we are 3 years later again rebuilding.

I'm sick of the constant turnover and lack of playoff victories. What's become clear after nearly 2 decades of postseason futility is that what Les is trying ain't working. And I'm no longer gonna just buy into the company PR spin that this is some sort of great organization because they don't lose more than 41 games in the regular season almost all of the time.