1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Those ****ing Commentators!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by roxxfan, Sep 10, 2013.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Member

Man it was that douchebag bald guy and Berman! Did anybody else notice the homerism and favoritism toward the Chargers? It literally seemed like they were rooting for San Diego. Can't stop "elite" quarterbacks? Go to hell bald dude. They weren't cheering or excited when we scored, but when the Chargers did, its party time for them. Sweet victory b****es. Upset in the making? Laughable. Apparently we ARE superbowl contenders dumbass bald fool. End rant.

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

I can't stand Berman. I think Dilfer is pretty fair.

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I like Dilfer.

And to be fair, the Texans do have history of not being able to stop "elite" QBs.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I absolutely detest Berman. His schtick isn't funny to begin with, combine that with the fact that he genuinely seems to hate the Texans for no apparent reason.

I usually don't mind Dilfer but he seemed to be getting on my nerves for most of the first half, but i thought when the turnaround happened he gave the Texans the due credit. I think he. like a lot of people doesn't take the Texans seriously until they prove it in the postseason, which is an opinion he's entitled to.

But Berman, god i hate him.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

I can tolerate Berman, though I wish he was not allowed to call games. I actually agreed with Trent for the most part. He was absolutely right about a lot of the things he was saying, I'm sorry that the truth hurts.

However, I do agree that they sounded pretty upset/depressed during the comeback. Even the game winning field goal, they treated it like a regular play in the middle of the game.

I miss Gus.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who thought it was a good idea to put these box of rocks in the booth, especially Berman? Never again! :mad:

[​IMG]

7. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

I think they were just feeding off the home crowd.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Member

That they do, but calling Rivers an "elite" QB is quite funny

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Didn't mind Dilfer or Berman before this game. Afterward, Dilfer still don't mind but Berman... man is kind of a douche.

It is one thing, to throw the home fans some love or root a tiny bit harder for the underdog. It is another thing entirely to spend time ranting about how the city of San Diego not only deserves a Super Bowl regardless of stadium conditions but to be part of a 5 year rotation, along with praising Chargers noticeably more then the opposing Houston team for most of the game.

10. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Things I heard wayyyy to many times last night:

Philip Rivers is proving the summer doubters wrong. Cutting up this defense.
    Chargers revamped front 7 is dominating.
    Schaub can't win the big games.
    Look how many passing yards the Texans gave up to elite QBs last year.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Berman was awful but I wasn't mad about them criticizing the Texans. The team deserved ridicule for such a crappy half of football. Dilfer praised the team after the comeback.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

It was just plain bad. And not because of any bias from the announcers, they just sucked. The whole production last night was obviousely ESPN's B-Team. I hope the Texans never get the 2nd game on the MNFB opener again.

But eff them, Kubiak came into his own last night! Loved his play calling and risk taking... He's finally coaching like a MAN! I hope...

13. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Berman was totally homering for the Chargers, otherwise he sounded like a tour guide at the zoo.

Dilfer was fair, but I just dislike him in general. Total knob. Reggie Miller of NFL commentators.

14. Duncan McDonuts

ESPN has a tendency to support front runners. The fact that the Chargers came out and dominated made them favorites. It wasn't until we were in position to take the win that ESPN started touting good things about our team.

It seemed fair. ESPN just likes to support winners.

15. liljojo

liljojo Member

To be fair, it was really late when we started scoring. Maybe they were just tired.

16. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Now it all makes sense.

From this site called awfulannouncing.com...

For the second consecutive year, Boomer will team up with Trent Dilfer to call the Chargers' season-opening game, this time against the Houston Texans, according to ESPN's Bill Williamson. He and Dilfer will also call San Diego's preseason game Thursday in Chicago live on ESPN:

“As it turns out, at least in the early goings, I am the national voice of the San Diego Chargers. And that’s fine with me,” Berman said. “I’ve long had warm feelings for the team, the powder blues and the city. I’m anxious to see the new-look Chargers under head coach Mike McCoy, who will very much be flying under the radar this year, which is probably perfect in the eyes of Philip Rivers and the rest of the team. The AFC could be a little more open this year than it normally is, and the Chargers, of course, hope they are somehow in the mix and become one of those teams that no one looks at until Halloween."

Berman went 30-plus years at ESPN without getting a chance to do play-by-play, but the guy has quite a lot of pull these days. In March, Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated ranked him as the seventh most powerful person in sports media. So get used to it, Bolts fans. If Berman wants to call your team's games, he'll call your team's games.

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

Berman was terrible. Half the time he was muttering and seemed a bit confused. Most of the time he was just monotone. As he go more comfortable he tried to go to his cutesy stuff a little more and that made him worse. He sounded like a novice playcaller on some local-level broadcast.

Dilfer was clearly uncomfortable in the color analyst role but he actually had good things to say and was dead on about the Texans. His problems were mostly with timing. Rivers is not elite anymore but he was and still clearly has elite ability. When he was killing the Texans there is nothing wrong with pointing out their main defensive weakness from last year.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Schaub pick by Chargers' D: "And it's PICKED OFF!!!!"
    Rivers pick by Texans' D: "Ohhhhhhh, and... it's picked off."

Really? "Ohhhhh"!?!? Pinche. :mad:

:mad: BALONEY, man. Don't defend him. To thwart your bad argument, even at the beginning of the game he kept saying "tackled nicely" so many times by the Chargers, but when the Houston D would tackle, he'd say "is able to get to" or "is able to tackle". BULL.

EDIT:
    It doesn't give him the right to do that to the NATIONAL broadcast. :eek: I'll allow him to do that for the LOCAL coverage, but not ESPN, which is shown across the world as NEUTRAL and he should be.

#18 SwoLy-D, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Berman is a tool, and belongs nowhere near an announcing booth. He brings nothing by way of real analysis, and all he does is try and fit in as many corny one-liners into his play-by-play as possible. Also, that Super Bowl rant was highly unnecessary and really kind of inappropriate. Dilfer is an excitable guy who loves to jump at the opportunity to praise any and all QBs, even if he sounds like a buffoon in the process.

The guy who's been completely annoying me to no end lately though is Rich Gannon. Before the season started, he made it a point to tell people to back off the Texans as AFC South favorites this year. Now, if he had valid reasoning behind it, I could at least respect his opinion even if I don't agree with it. However, the sole reasoning he gave for favoring the Colts was HISTORY. Kubiak's record in the AFC South is something like 16-24, therefore the Colts obviously have a chance to win the division this season. Forget the fact that Kubiak took over a team that was 2-14, and was a complete mess on both sides of the ball. Also, forget the fact that over the past TWO seasons, the Texans have gone something like 9-3 within the division. Then, this morning, when it came time for him to break down the game last night, he said, "Sure, I'll give SOME credit to the Texans for coming back, but the real story here is how comfortable Philip Rivers looked in the pocket last night." Bruce Murray had to tell him that after that third quarter TD, Rivers completed ONE PASS the rest of the game. Even then, he refused to back off how the Chargers look like a different team than before, and that the Texans were just opportunistic at the right time. He almost made it sound like a fluke that we won.

I'm so completely tired of all of these media shills letting their own personal biases get in the way of measured analysis. They all have such large egos that when they are so wrong it slaps them in the face, they STILL can't bring themselves to admit it.

20. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm not mad. I'm sure the Texans will watch this game and hear about what the announcers are saying.

All they have to do is feed of this and dominate against "good/elite" QBs to be considered a championship contender it seems.

Criticism comes with being the Texans fan. They have disappointed in most big games. Texans have to show that they can beat teams like Patriots, 49ers, SeaHawks, Denver. Even if we beat Pats and SeaHawks, the "experts" will still doubt the texans because of the change that occurred in pats team and cause they don't want to accept that Texans are any good.

Now IMO, the texans have to win 3/5 games against elite teams to show that they are contenders.

Everyone doubts a team until they actually win it all.
    Pats vs Gaints (both Super Bowl, pats were favorites)
    49ers vs ravens (9ers were favs)