1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

This thread describes a dangerous trend on the Left

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 14, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also read up on "Night of long Knives"

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know you all have already had a back-and-forth on this, but that's not how I read the article at all.

... I think the article then lets a professor out of the classroom (like a doctor outside the doctor's office, etc) then go attend rallies, write letters, campaign for political candidates or whatever, just off campus and away from their daily work.

I should mostly remain quiet on all these things, but the author of the column was wise to not use their real name. (Plus I like their fake name, haha.)

#142 B-Bob, Nov 5, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree with that except that you’ve previously brought up arguments that things like student protests and criticisms within academia of political leanings amount to censorship. This piece is specifically saying that academics cannot express political leanings and should be quiet about there own views. In other words it’s justifying students who have protested professors for expressing political views they don’t agree with.

What you’re saying is that professors in their role should be apolitical. How is that any different than those who say that Jordan Peterson shouldn’t be expressing his political views?

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

See my last response.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I always thought the notion of expressing the idea that Asian immigrants are bad for American society was a apolitical statement. AMIRITE?

I still cannot believe this dude died on this hill. I'm sure he cares so much about the "principle" of free speech lol.

6. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you were a troll, but being from Germany and not knowing the Nazis were right wing proves you are either a troll or just a ****ing idiot.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I had forgotten about that professor? Was her name Witt? Yes I recall Os defending her and other professors who expressed unpopular opinions. Jordan Peterson has been heavily criticized for his views on traditional gender roles. According it the piece posted those activists professors should not be expressing those views.
    Free speech is an important principle but I’m pointing out that for someone who claims to be a “free speech absolutist” this is an odd stance to take. His own follow up would be that students shouldn’t know what the professors believe. In other words they should silence expressing their own views.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no real desire to get dragged down deeper and deeper and deeper into a D&D rabbit hole of you folks' construction. I shared the essay and you can interpret it any way you want.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Is this another “it’s the Dems fault the right is destroying the world” thread??

Reminds me of this tweet I saw the other day

Im getting a tad bit tired of “the party of personal responsibility” taking zero responsibility for their decision to be reckless extremists.

#149 dobro1229, Nov 5, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the update and the correction.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

People need to relax.