1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This thread describes a dangerous trend on the Left

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 14, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Same trend can be observed in this forum. Absolute vilification of the other side by the left, justifying everything.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And yes, Trump contributed to this problem.

Invisible Fan, Nook and King1 like this.
  4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Haha. This coming from the “**** your feelings”, “they’re all Demoncrats and Libtards”, “liberalism is a mental disorder” and “democrats should be executed” crowd is just another example of projection from the Right. You fell for it hook line and sinker.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Cancel culture comes from the Left.

Nook and tinman like this.
  6. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

not the originator of it but a big driving factor. you can't be the leader of a country and call roughly half the population derogatory names daily. that's the epitome of poor leadership.
    What did you expect?
    madame sounds like a giant snowflake.

edwardc likes this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Haha, just more projection

which side is banning books, cancelling women’s bodily autonomy and would cancel SS and Medicare in a second if given the chance?

AND doing their best to cancel democracy by denying fair election results, eroding faith in our judicial system, media etc and continuing to spread the big lie.

NOTHING BUT PROJECTION

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

“The demonization of those who criticize the left is both immediate and complete. They're seen in religious terms -- as an apostate who must be exiled. One prof responded to my plans to vote R by saying that my "entire worldview has changed." (Spoiler: it hasn't.)”

Interesting, since I’ve seen posters here (not on the Left) literally refer to other people as demonic and absolutely evil due to political differences.

Not disagreeing that there isn’t a general trend of escalating moral disgust on the Left when it comes to extremism on the Right. But the exact same thing can be said about people on the Right.

From my vantage point, the polarization and hostility to moderation at both ends of the political divide is pretty troubling.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The left might have started the modern version of it but the political right scooped it up and ran with it, literally canceling numerous members of congress and other political position that doesn't toe the party line (or more precisely, be with Trump).

jiggyfly, edwardc and Andre0087 like this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Somebody call the wambulance...

Blatz, edwardc and Andre0087 like this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

1 person makes this a rising problem?

mtbrays and adoo like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed. And while Trump was terrible, Biden is now doing it as well.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I hinted at this in another thread and of course the blue no matter who crowd were aghast.

I think that liberals are more prone to seeing this as good vs. evil, and as such as more likely to cut ties with people whom they disagree with and/or not accept former adversaries as allies when they either change their mind or converge on a specific topic.

I know a lot of politically moderate or ambivalent people who lean liberal (or at least definitely lean away from MAGA) but simply get pushed to the right because of the amount of bile and hate they get from liberals whenever they even slightly get out of lockstep with them.

We see some examples of this on the BBS. The worst fights I've had and most off-putting behavior I've been subject to are usually with fellow liberals.

I don't feel like it was this way 10-15 years ago. But then again, liberals are usually their own worst enemy so it tracks.

TBF I'd rather be called r****ded than evil.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This is such a huge false equivalency that really hurts your credibility whenever you assert it.

There is absolutely no comparing Trump's decade long campaign of vitriolic nonsense against what Biden has said/done specifically towards the MAGA movement in the last year.

As for the Twitter poster... their points are largely valid, with one glaring exception:

But ever since Trump was elected, the Dem Party has been fear mongering re: fascism and "threats to democracy" coming from the right.

This isn't fearing mongering. This is one of the few things liberals have been 100% correct about.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I didn't say Biden is nearly as bad as Trump at doing it. I just said he is doing it as well. No equivalency suggested.

Nook likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The left didn't start any version. Just like CRT and trans pedophilia, these type of issues pop up when wealthy conservatives are like "gee wiz, we can't get our poor white brothers concentrating on class inequality. We don't want them to hate us for goodness sakes. Let them hate 'cancel culture' and trans people. That'll get em off our backs!"

17. fchowd0311

Biden is 'left' now?

How often does he read Jacobin?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. fchowd0311

Nah. You need to readjust your media consumption habits. It's frying your brain.

There is one strain of ideology that sees the world in binary "good vs evil" paradigm and that's religious conservatism (Islamic fundamentalism, Christian fundamentalism) etc.

edwardc, VooDooPope and Amiga like this.
  20. fchowd0311

Yo I remember when I served and how my peers were like We need to douse all 5.56 rounds in pigs blood when we shoot Muslims. Kinda uncomfortable when your mom wears a hijab. Boy was it ****ing awkward and frightening when my mom visited Camp Lejeune day before we deployed wearing a hijab.

Also "godless commies", "Muslim terrorist sympathizer" ,"pedophiles" are all terms used to justify violence.

Also I haven't seen a equivalent left wing mass shooting going live stream with leftists cheering it on like we've seen with right wing mass shootings.

edwardc and VooDooPope like this.