1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This still isn't a playoff team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Mar 17, 2003.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Don't let the Rockets fool you. They have done this all season, winning a couple of games, giving the fans false hope, and ultmately playing uninspired basketball. Let's take a look at the last five "victories".

A two point victory against an Eastern Conference lottery team

A victory over New Jersey in which the Nets missed wide open jumpers all night and the Rockets winning only because they managed to suck less that night.

An overtime victory against the Clippers, a game the Rockets shouldn't have won anyways because of a phantom lane violation on Andre Miller

A blowout win against the worst road team in the NBA, the only game of the homestand that the Rockets played halfway decent basektball on both sides of the ball

A win against Phoenix in which the Rockets played possibly the worst half of basketball in NBA history

This is a playoff team? No, this is a mirage, a fascade, an illusion...The Rockets' weaknesses will be exposed on this five game road trip, and they'll limp home before getting blown out by the Lakers at home, which should prove to be the final nail in the coffin. Rudy's medical problems will also cause the team to lose focus, making the road trip even more painful.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Did you know this is their longest winning streak in two years.

This is a playoff team as long as Glenn Rice stays healthy. Isn't it funny how much better of a point guard Steve looks like when he has someone to pass to. What a coincidence, his BBall IQ shoots through the roof.

3. Nova

Nova Member

So negative....

But this road trip really will test them. If they can pull out of it with 3 wins, I'll count it as a success.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

No, A-T, I think you're wrong. The Rockets are discovering what they can do as a team. However, when they play a team they are supposed to beat or gain an "insurmountable" lead, they sit back and coast -- which gets them into trouble.

They are a play-off caliber team, just not a championship-caliber team. Next year -- when the lessons they are now learning become ingrained -- I think we can look for a championship caliber team.

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

You don't see a single positive from any of this? I'm pretty proud of the Rox after yesterday's Suns game. They got a hugh lead, got bored, then decided to hold on in the end. Saying we're still not a playoff team is like saying the Suns are better than us...which they clearly aren't. How many 7th or 8th seed playoff teams live up to your unrealisticly high standards to be considered a 'true playoff team'?

We're playing decent team ball right now. Yao's shooting and defending well, Rice is actually shooting well, MoT is playing his instant offense roll well, Cat is shooting a good percentage lately, and steve's TOs are down this month.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Just curious A-Train, but have you ever had ANYTHING positive to say about the Rockets?

7. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Of course, that came after perhaps one of the best halves of Rockets history. Look this team can be inconsistent, but give credit where credit is due. They have beat the teams that they should have beaten during the streak. THey still had to play the Clippers in overtime. They could have folded under the Sun's run. This team is growing up and starting to show some actual poise. Somebody's gotta make a thread saying, "This isn't a #8 seed, it's a #7 seed playoff team."

P.S. A-Train, try doing this during our winning streak :) :) :)

8. A-Train

How much do you want to bet that Seattle puts a 3/4 press on us? The Rockets went completely to crap when Phoenix started pressing in the second half. Our offense takes a long time to set up, and when the shot clock is already down to 16, the lack of offensive execution gets magnified. The Rockets will get pressed more than a tortilla on this road trip

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

A-Train. I love the Rockets. They have won 5 in a row...

BUT YEAH. They still aren't a playoff team.

We have to wait and see how they do on the West Coast road trip. If they win at least 2......I think they will be kinda fine.

BUT IF THEY LOSE ALL 5!!!!!!! and then the next 2 at home against the Spurs and Lakers....that won't be good.

Patience...

and yeah.

I don't think Glen Rice and Mo Taylor can keep this instant offense thing going too long...I hope they can.

10. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

A-Train, you have the right to remain silence. But whatever you say could be used against you :D :D :D

11. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

nice oldgunrules!

A-Train - The glass is half full you crackhead! :p

If Houston can go 4-3 in the next 7 games they will make the playoffs. 7 games in 10 days, it is do or die time.

12. A-Train

I'm telling you...0-5 on this upcoming road trip...

You heard it here first...

13. tothomas

tothomas Member

You guys don’t understand. This is A-Train's system for getting us wins. The more negative he is the better we do. Kinda like when you say how great a free throw shooter a guy is so he’ll miss, only this is in reverse.
    ;)

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

I see them rallying as a team and coming closer together because of Rudy's absence. :)

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The point is that the Rockets still aren't a very good team. They are finally improving, but there are too many periods of playing like garbage to have confidence that this team will be great. That 2nd half was brutal. There was too much standing around, Mobley walking the ball up, and bad shots. They have to keep the ball moving.

16. ewfd

ewfd Member

:rolleyes:

just enjoy something for once please.

17. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

the only thing you really like talking about is how bad the rox are and the cutest all nba teams.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

ATrain...Simple question..

Who are the top 8 teams in the West?

19. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Yes, but we're not that bad either. That's why we're battling for 8th and 9th in the West. But, there are indications that this team suddenly realizes what it takes to close out a ball game. At least we all know that the Rockets can play better. That's pretty scary!!

20. user

user Member

You heard this first from me. If the Rox make the playoff, they will make the final.

Remember how Rox won their championship? It is hard to make the playoff, but the championship is easier!

I want the 8 seed, not the 7.