1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This should end the Mario V/S Bush talk!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketFire, May 3, 2006.

1. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Reality is, Texans helped themselves during draft

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Now that we're beyond the emotional responses that were so hysterical they were laughable, let's examine the reasoning behind the Texans' decision to draft defensive end Mario Williams over running back Reggie Bush.

First of all, let's reiterate that our first two choices were Vince Young and Bush, but that being said, it's clear to anyone who knows anything about the NFL that the Texans had a terrific draft on paper.

No one can accurately judge this draft until several years down the road, and anyone who pretends he can is a charlatan.

The Texans bypassed Bush and Young, the two most exciting prospects in the draft, so get over it. It's not like they settled for some stiff. All the insults and complaints won't change a thing.

It's difficult to argue against coach Gary Kubiak's philosophy of getting the quarterback and protecting the quarterback and of building from the inside out. If you take the emotion out of the draft, here's what the Texans produced: Three of their first four choices — Williams, linebacker DeMeco Ryans and offensive tackle Eric Winston — were first-round projections in many mock drafts.

The first pick in the third round, offensive tackle Charles Spencer, played the position for the first time last season. The Texans thought that over the second half of the season, he was the nation's best left tackle not named D'Brickashaw.

Value at need areas
    Even if you were a die-hard backer of Young or Bush, how can you be disappointed with Williams, Ryans, Spencer and Winston in the first three rounds? Look at how they've upgraded their pass rush and pass protection.

There's no denying that Bush is a prospect for the ages. No matter how hard they try, the Texans will never convince us that Bush's off-the-field issues had nothing to do with their decision to cut off negotiations late last week and focus on Williams.

At this stage of his career, Williams has been compared to defensive ends such as Julius Peppers, Reggie White and Bruce Smith. Preposterous, you say?

Well, look back at the scouting reports, not what they accomplished in the NFL.

Smith was the top pick in the 1985 draft, selected by Buffalo despite his reputation for taking plays off, just like Williams. Also like Williams, Smith was incredibly talented.

As a rookie, Smith was notorious around the league for disappearing acts. But as Smith matured, he became a dominating and disruptive force and will be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

As a junior last season, Williams, 20, played uninspired games against Georgia Tech and Clemson and didn't start the next game against Wake Forest. He responded to the demotion by coming off the bench for 3 1/2 sacks and three tackles for loss.

Back in the starting lineup a week later, Williams went on a tear that led to him being the first pick in the draft. He finished with 14 1/2 sacks and 27 1/2 tackles for loss and elected to leave the Wolfpack after his junior year.

Plenty of upside
    There's a lot to like about Williams. For instance, his North Carolina State teammates voted him the team award for integrity and sportsmanship.

By now, you know that Williams is 6-7, 295 and put on quite a show at the combine by running a 4.70 in the 40-yard dash, benching 225 pounds 35 times and having a vertical leap of 40 1/2 inches.

What impresses scouts even more is that he's so explosive off the ball. His 10-yard shuttle at the combine was 1.60 seconds.
    No other end or tackle came close. By comparison, outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, selected in the first round by Cleveland, also had a 1.60. And he's 6-4, 248.

In other words, Williams explodes off the ball, which allows him to penetrate and beat double-team blocks.

Like Bush, Williams has what no one can coach: rare, God-given ability. No matter what you think about the Texans' decision, even the team's harshest critics must admit that it's going to be fun following these careers.

john.mcclain@chron.com.

Mcclain is so right about the people who are proclaiming bush as a hall of famer already. We don't know that and we don't know how Mario will turn out either. So all i am saying is that no one can judge this draft until 3 yrs from now.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You are delusional. Some people will never be convinced, no matter what is written or who says what. Be prepared for the Mario vs Bush debate to rage for at least several seasons.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm a Cowboys fan, so this isn't a passionate comment. The Texans had a hard time going wrong here, the most gifted QB, HB and DE that the draft has seen in a while. All of them would have been good choices. You'll just have to wait to find out.

I'm just kidding. That was a stupid pick. Texans should have grabbed Vince Young. Proven winner or talented big man? Easy decision, yet 'The Amazing Sack Collector', David Carr, got in the way. Texans tanked for nothin'.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't teach height. :D

As for this article ending the Mario/Bush debate...hardly. He makes some decent points, but they are really just rehashed points made by other, better writers in already published other, better articles. As arkoe said, regardless of your opinion on the matter, this debate will rage for years until there is a clear cut winner between Bush, Young and Williams. Hell, if they all reach their potential, that may never happen...which would be awesome.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

And the Mario vs Vince to go even longer.

6. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

You know whats gonna be great, watching Mario go against the Saints and the Titans. You know that he is going to paint a HUGE BULLSEYE on Bush, and Young. If that doesn't pump him up then this guy is a vegetable. I would love to see him go f*ckin nuts and destroy everyone in his path to get to these two.

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Mario has already said that he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder to prove to everyone that he is worthy of the #1 pick.

I can't wait.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw NFL live last night and Casserly was on and he was pretty stern in saying if someone wants to blame someone, blame me...True, but it wasn't all him and he knows it...

He said it wasn't about money as by Thursday morning, both had agreed to $54MM...It came down to need as they had a 1000 rusher and just look at Barry Sanders, one playoff game...He then stated that in playing in a division with the COlts, they need to players to help stop their offense...

Still don't buy it, but I'm over it...Mario, welcome to Houston...

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

ummm...and this is coming from a guy who KNEW FOR A FACT we were drafting VY? please dude...who cares what an inept writer for the houston crapicle says...

You know what will end the Bush vs Mario talk?

Mario having 100 tackles and 16 1/2 sacks his rookie year. walk the walk my friend.

btw i love the pick!

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

True, but I don't think it will be any bigger than the Bullseye Bush and VY are gonna have on the Texans. especially VY's.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

According to the very words of many Bush supporters thrown at VY supporters before the draft, the Mario v. Bush talk should already be ended because we took Mario. There is no chance Bush will ever be a Texan, so why discuss it any further.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

13. jackburton

jackburton Member

Wait until Vince Young comes to Houston as a Titan and torches Houston for 4 touchdowns. When the image of Vince running rings around #1 Draft Pick Mario Williams gets replayed over and over on ESPN, then the screaming for head will begin. ;)

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Its not about Vince vs. Mario.

Its Bush vs. Mario.

Vince is gonna disappear from the public eye for a year and a half. Its clipboard time.

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Keep dreaming.

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

:D So true.

It just seems to me that we have not learnt anything from the events of last weekend - haven't we learnt to stop predicting things with certainty? What Vince does now matters little to us but saying he will what he will be doing in 6 months or 18 makes little sense. Lets just allow things to unfold on their own :)

17. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I don't know, I've always been screaming for head...

18. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

amen!

go titans!

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So were you against the drafting of Yao Ming too?

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I can't wait to see Mario sack Vince 3 times in a game for big losses. :D :D