1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This should be our Next Move!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I apologize in advance for starting a thread,
    But this is a big deal - it deserves it’s own thread.

Again the goal is to create a dynasty not be competitive...

How to we do that?

Well we have to get worse before we get better!

Christian Wood has to go!!

Eric Gordon should be traded as well.

And after last nights unbelievable successful haul of talent - The Rockets now are probably too good to be one of the worst three teams in the NBA

And that’s a problem to me!

As this team is currently constructed, barring injury, I think there is about a 50% chance that they will be in the hunt for the
    Play-In tournament...

Some of you want this!
    Developing a winning culture is important, I get it.

But you have to decide is it more important then having the opportunity to bring in another all-world talent again In the 2022 draft?

Do you wanna see us put winning at the forefront of all our priorities?

I Don’t!!!! it’s the wrong move!

WE NEED MORE ALL NBA TALENT!

I would be so disappointed if we were in the play in tournament- It’s the wrong play

Well it’s not top 4 pick or bust as it was last season - It’s still very important for us to put ourselves in the best position possible to get a top-five pick in a pretty deep draft again!!

I want Chet Holmgren- Imagine adding him to this roster!
    And as were currently constructed, We’re just probably not gonna have enough lottery balls to get him or even to get one of the other young stars.

We need to get worse!

We need to remove veterans that make a difference!

4 reason why trading
    Christian Wood benefits our Houston Rockets:

1. Trading Wood and his plus contract will
    Net us future draft compensation/ young talented players maybe both
    2. It will allow some of our youngsters more minutes to develop their craft and gain chemistry
    3. He will want to max contract in two years and I don’t want to give him one of our two Max contracts - He’s just not good enough
    4. Most Importantly- Taking Christian wood off this team drops us to the back of the west, which heightens our chances significantly to pick up another star.

We can hit 4 birds with one STONE!!!!

John Walls is here to stay as we all know and he helps with the tank.

Sorry rant, I’m driving and talking into my phone

I like Christian Wood, but he helps our long term growth if we trade Him now!!!

It should be priority number one for us at this moment

#1 Trackwell, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    BigShasta, BallSoHarden, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I ain't trying to go through another tank unless...... Wall and EG play 48 minutes per game.... The comedy will offset the dreadfulness ...

3. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I'd rather try for a play in spot that tank again as a fan.

My absolute fear for this franchise is to be the Kangz. We have a lot of young talent, we don't need a WHOLE team who can't legally drink.

34to11, Kevooooo, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I agree to an extent. We have our pick this year and should definitely trying to take advantage of that because, I for one, cannot take the anxiety of potentially missing out on a top pick again.

However, I don’t think we’ll be a play in team and I think we’ll be picking inside the top 10.

We got significantly more talented on paper, but we won’t be good for a couple years.

5. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

It’s worked well for Minnesota..

34to11, JayZ750, majicdonjuan and 7 others like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nah keep CW. But definitely get rid of Gordon, wall and house.

7. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Totally disagree with treating Christian Wood Like this.

he’s only 25 and can be a part of Jalen Green playoff teams

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

Everyone knows what we need to do but it’s about pissing away draft assets to clear space

I would give up Brooklyn picks until 2023 or 24 but would rather wait for Wall & Gordon contract to expire before sacrificing more

9. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

Preach!

10. JD88

JD88 Member

And Sac, and Orlando.

Knicks picked up Randle in FA.

NOLA has tons of talent and still suck balls.

PHI and BOS tanked for the better part of a decade and neither have really been in contention for a title.

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, let’s trade a young 20/10 center with a TS% of .6 who shoots .375 from 3 and pray that we can land somebody who is almost as good with the draft capital we receive. Brilliant.

fattz, 34to11, HRox832 and 20 others like this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Hell ****ing no. Wood is a big who's had low play time. We're not talking a young athletic guard where he'd be coming into his peak already and he's already pretty damn good. Wood with Sengun behind him and players like Garuba and Tate to play pitbull on D? If we were going to trade Wood then we should've drafted Mobley. Wood, KP and Green is flames in a couple of years. If we can retain them all for another contract after this one and some of the other guys really develop that could very easily become a contender.

RocketOrg likes this.
  13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Or you can just draft smart and make moves to position yourself to be good enough to attract the right free agents.

The Warriors big 3 was built by drafting #7,#11, and #35 then they signed KD. Suns were built with #13, #1 and a FA signing. The nuggets built a competitor with #41 and #7. The heat built a finals team with mid first rounders and a good front office that attracted FAs. The Bucks just won a championship with mid and late first rounders, no lotto picks even. The Jazz got Gobert at #27 and Donovan at #13. This list goes on, tanking is not how teams have been built the last couple of decades. You can look at a young team like the TWolves who had Townes (#1) and Wiggins (#1) and they were trash, now they added another #1 overall in AE they were still not good lol. So what make you think this strategy even works?

The Sixers on the other hand tanked for over half a decade and ended up with #3,#3, #1, #1 and they only got one decent player who is always injured out of all of that and their window is slamming shut with a broken down Embiid that is in his late 20s already.

Only OKC was successful in getting high draft picks and having them work out, and they still screwed it up fairly quickly after that. Not only do you need to luck out in getting a top pick, you need to luck out in picking the right guy, then you need further luck and skill in being sure those guy develop properly and have the opportunity to develop. The Lakers seemed like they blew 3 consecutive #2 overall picks, but all of those players lived up to that #2 overall player after they left the Lakers. Ingram, Ball, DLo alll ended up being very good players, and Randle won a MIP after leaving. There are other factors to being a good organization than tanking and getting high picks, that route just does not work when the players you are drafting are 18-19 year old kids and many of them play in varying leagues around the world, so you can not easily make comparisons. This tanking strategy worked when the guys you were drafting were 21-22 years old and you knew what you were getting, it takes a good organization to win these days. If you have a good player you really only have 3 years to be good, or they will leave. Look at Zion's situation in NO, the timeline is not the length of their career.

With that said, I am open to trading Wood, but not to try to tank.

#13 BallSoHarden, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Sluball3, theDude and hakeem94 like this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think we'll be bottom 5 in the west for sure. we know these teams will be better than us:

ATL
    BOS
    BKN
    CHA
    CHI
    DAL
    DEN
    GSW
    IND
    LAC
    LAL
    MEM
    MIA
    MIL
    NOP
    NYK
    PHI
    PHX
    POR
    TOR
    UTA

We're in the mix with:

CLE
    DET
    HOU
    MIN
    OKC
    ORL
    SAC
    SAS
    WAS

That's a top 9 pick. this is on the high end of our potential next year. I know we'd like to get back in the top 3. There is a chance that the Cavs, Spurs, Kings, and Wizards make some short sighted moves this summer to compete for the play in tournament. We also know the Thunder, and Magic will not try to win any games next year. Pencil them in for a top 3 pick each.

that leaves us, the Pistons, and Wolves likely in the top 5 picks. in this group I think cade and the pistons might win some games similar to lamelo and the Hornets last year because the east is pretty easy to rise up. the Wolves have two players more talented as or today than we have on our roster and I think they also have a good chance of winning more games than us next year, plus they will make some short sighted moves to try to win and keep KAT in town.

I think its pretty likely that we find ourselves back in the top 3. very likely top 5, and extremely likely top 9. add some post all star shut downs for wall/wood/gordon and I would say we can change that to extremely likely top 5, very likely top 3. let olynyk and bradley walk and trade Augustine and house to playoff teams and I'd say very likely we land top 3 again.

so no worries, not worth trading wood just yet. we have a great chance of being bad even with him! now next year with Green, Şengün, Garuba, as sophomores, and another high lotto pick, and a returning wood, I think we can make the playin tournament. I'd be open to trading wood if the price was right but not just to tank.

glynch, luckyman76, Corrosion and 7 others like this.
  15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

No, we need a mix of veterans and youth. We will just cut the veterans minutes for us to lose. They know what it is.

D-rock, ilias and saleem like this.
  16. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Yes let’s trade him!

I can agree with this view-

I just think the best thing for this franchise is to have a better than 50% chance of getting a top 4 pick again-

I just think this is far more important than keeping a top 35 player, who’s going to want a Max contract in 2 years... And I want to give Max contracts to top 10 players only

The teams that end up giving max contracts to players that are not in the top 15, are the teams that cripple themselves. They Max their team out With no legitimate shot to win- The cap Cripples them

roslolian, jcmoon and HP3 like this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What happens If you miss in 2022?

Verrry possible. Do you tank again, and again?

D-rock, JD88 and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I definitely think you tank the next two years that we own our own pick outright

Patience

roslolian likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wood definitely gotta go.

Imagine getting Kuminga this year instead of Green.

Thats what you are doing to yourself the next two drafts by keeping him.

You want him to be part of the Rockets future, sign him back in free agency.

But in the short term, hell no, he gotta go.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Hang tight

D-rock and saleem like this.