1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This law definitely has to go into effect in Texas...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/02/15/2004021524924.htm

Left-lane hogs may have to move over or pay

Motorists who clog the left lane on the interstate highways in South Carolina might start paying for it.
    A Senate committee is considering a bill that would impose fines ranging from $75 to $150 for those who stay too long in the passing lane.

Part of the reason is that people who are cruising are causing problems.

"The paramount consideration is safety," said Sen. Danny Verdin, R-Laurens, who supports the measure.

Lamar Street, 30, of Greenville said he opposes the idea.

"They're already getting too much (of our) money," he said.

Jennie Walker, 20, a Furman University sophomore, has the opposite viewpoint.

"I think it's a great idea," Walker said. It's annoying, she said, when people block the left lane.

The bill, which is still in committee, allows the Highway Patrol to determine when to ticket left-lane drivers, Verdin said.

Stevie and DeLisa Dawkins of Simpsonville agree motorists should stay out of the left lane, but DeLisa doesn't like the idea of fining people.

Verdin said if a fine is assessed, the offense would not end as points against a motorist's driving record. It would not apply to drivers who have no vehicles behind them, he said.

Harvey Peeler, R-Cherokee, a co-sponsor of the bill, said left-lane drivers force others to pass them on the right, causing accidents and frustration.

"It's the No. 1 cause of road rage in South Carolina," he said.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that most people have no clue that the left lane is supposed to be used as a passing lane. Whenever I drive in the manner as this law suggests, I get a scolding from my wife for weaving. And it's not even so much as the slow cars in the left lane...but driving northbound on the Gulf Freeway, the slow drivers in any lane except the far righthand lane are annoying. The sign says it all....slower traffic keep right.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So fine people who make it harder to speed?

4. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Best idea since God came up with the universe.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They don't say in the article, but I'm guessing the proposal would not really apply within a city.

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The city of Fort Worth just passed a law that forbids semi trucks from driving in the far left lane on one of the Interstates through town.

7. drapg

drapg Member

I couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

8. Rockets34Legend

Wish they would do the same in Dallas. Also, get that damn construction fixed up on 635/75. Sucks driving that way....

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure they're working on the construction. Supposedly, it's still ahead of schedule. But you're definitely right about what a pain that area is to drive through. I do whatever I can to avoid it.

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

please, please put this law into effect in my town... and state... I hate it when two cars are blocking off the road, side by side, going the same speed. :mad:

11. Buck Turgidson

Well, if they aren't then it would not really be construction, would it? ;)

12. Rockets34Legend

Love that box effect. Just want to get inbetween and knock those cars off their damn lanes....:mad:

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's already illegal in Arkansas to drive in the left lane unless you are passing other. Looks like we're finally ahead in one category.

14. Isabel

Isabel Member

That explains why I've heard of people getting pulled over in Arkansas for that reason. Especially trucks. You know I-40 and I-30... Arkansas must be the crossroads of the nation... it's scary to drive on those roads with any fewer than 18 wheels.

15. deepellumrocket

I have to drive through there almost daily, and I'll say that I've been quite impressed with how quickly things go up around there.

But those greeen columns have to go! :eek: :eek:

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Can they please pass a cell phone law first. This has quickly become my biggest pet peeve. Here are some other things drivers do that make me want to pull them from their cars and spank their faces with a 2 by 4.

My top 10

1. cell phone users
    2. tailgaters
    3. changing without signalling
    4. driving too slow in fast lane (see #9)
    5. applying your face
    6. stuffing your face
    7. brites in my face
    8. non-propper 4-way stoppers
    9. leaners & slackers
    10. pumped up junk or crunk

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Exactly what speed is too slow for the left lane? Why can't people just SLOW DOWN?

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would say anything under 55.

19. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

And don't you just LOVE it when some slow putz PURPOSELY gets into your lane, just as you're coming along (not even necessarily speeding), and then goes NOWHERE with it? I mean, its one thing to be cruising out in the middle of nowhere (especially since TX has a lot of it) and then somebody comes up from behind, and you promptly get over into the right lane, but come on! Getting IN my way for no reason and STAYING that way?? GRRRR.

20. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Yes usually people get the message when you high beam them, but even at night i run into idiots who will not move no matter what you do.