1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

This is Why You Have to LOVE BATTIER !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zcity, Sep 1, 2006.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No single player can stop an entire team from scoring. Did he play good, solid defense (unlike most of the other players on team USA)? Yes.

2. butch mcrae

butch mcrae Member

I didn't think he did bad at all considering the amount of minutes he played. Even if you look at the boxscore, it was very productive for 12 minutes of play. 4 boards an assist and 2 blocks. The only problem was that he was getting into foul trouble, but that was based off hard nose defense.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if he was playing the best defense in the team, why didn't his own coach let him play longer than 12 minutes?

4. aamir

aamir Member

Did someone forget that we signed Battier to... I dunno, play basketball? :confused:

5. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

That is a terrible arguement. That is like saying elton brand isnt any good cuz he is always on the losing side. The bulls lost with him, the clips have only had one good year with him, and now team usa lost with him. Guess that means if the rox had a chance to get him, they should forget it. Battier is not the reason Memphis lost to dallas or the reason the usa lost to greece.

6. vlaurelio

so battier essentially won't affect houston's chances of winning or losing right?

7. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

you keep making points about battier not stepping up and disappearing in this game. That is the same criticism being placed on Rudy Gay and I know you were a big fan of him. How can you criticize battier for not taking over against Greece when he had Lebron, Dwade, and melo on his team, but not criticize Gay for not taking over against George Mason when his best teammates were Hilton armstrong and marcus williams.

Team USA was more talented, but greece played better as a team. That is the reason the rox brought in battier. He is a great team player. wait and see.

8. vlaurelio

again, try reading the post I was responding to.. someone said said that battier ALWAYS steps up when it counted and I disagreed..

it does not have anything to do with rudy gay or team USA..

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I actually saw Battier make a few hustle plays (that won't show up in the stat sheet) that could have change changed momentum of the game but USA failed to build on them.

Battier is a hustle player that we need, now more so since Sura seems done, but I do still cringe that we didn't get anything else. not even a 2nd round pick. And hoping Gay is a Darko type of bust or just a marginal role player, not another Richard Jefferson bungle (granted, that means comparing Battier with EG which is already absurd).

10. compucomp

compucomp Member

Darko is going to make the Pistons look really bad for trading him. His performance at the end of last season and at the WBC are extremely encouraging, and he's only 21 years old. I don't think he will be a bust for long.

Oh, we know Battier is not going to wreck someone's car while driving drunk, watching p*rn, and masturbating at the same time. And probably trying to smoke weed and shoot his girlfriend. So he's not Eddie Griffin.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Dang, EG did all that in the car? Now THATS TALENT.

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Instead of looking at the boxscore and b****ing about his performance, I watched the game and actually kept track of his hustle plays.

3 times he kept loose balls alive, directly leading to dunks by teammates.

offensive rebound late, got fouled, missed one freethrow

packed Vspan when he tried to shoot in his face.

that's a pretty decent contribution in only 12 minutes.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Because when the going got tough, he trusted the offensive stars (LeBron, Wade, and Anthony) more.

After going through the play by plays, Battier played about 12 minutes and team USA was outscored 23 to 19. Per 40 minutes, that comes out to about 76.7 to 63.3.

With Battier off the floor, in 28 minutes team USA was outscored 78 to 76. Per 40 minutes, that's 111.4 to 108.6.

This is very rough, but from that it appears that USA's defense was improved with Battier on the floor while their offense stagnated considerably. Take that for what it's worth ... how much of that was because of Battier I can't say.

14. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Uh.. No. Odds favor us better the way we went - but I too was really upset --as you obviously still are-- when the trade happened.

15. vlaurelio

I just think its these kinds of games where Battier should step up offensively and produce above his average..

16. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It seems VSpan and Batter both add that and both have some skill. This will be really fun to watch - much more so than in the previous few years.

17. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Battier will do extremely well for the Rockets. If you think for one minute that he should have been the difference maker on Team USA, you're nuts. He will, however, be a difference maker on the Rockets. Book it.

18. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

You kept alleging other posters misunderstood you and could not understand simple English, so did you understand simple English? Man....Battier had 3 fouls already.....that could be the reason Coach K did not use him extensively for more than 12 minutes.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just saying the right things always gets ya props here

Rocket River

20. vlaurelio

well dont have to go red text on me.. are you freak'n color blind?

why because he has 3 fouls? he has upto 2 more fouls to give right?

do you know simple math?

$5 the tip jar you write with red text again..