1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is Why You Have to LOVE BATTIER !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zcity, Sep 1, 2006.

1. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

1st quote after the game by Battier:

"They played like a champion plays," U.S. forward Shane Battier said of Greece.

No excuses - gives credit to a team that obviously played a game with passion - and to the BEST of their abilities and as a TEAM.

THis guy is a breath of fresh air - I have been transformed and can't wait to have Battier aboard !!!

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

He also said Vspan played great and he better play like that on the rocket team or he will kick his ass. :)

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

why? because he says the right things after a loss?

and he also disappeared in that game.. hope that does not happen when he's with the rox expecially in the playoffs..

#3 vlaurelio, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  4. mag

mag Contributing Member

The only problem is that he is always on the losing side. He said the same when Dallas beat Memphis and now when USA got beated by Grece.
    He is a nice guy, but I think people on this board are expecting too much from him. He is an average player at most. Most people think that he is a very good 3 point shooter and guess what. That was one of the big problems the USA has in this WC. He won't be that much of a treat from outside as people in this board are expecting.

5. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I don't think anybody here thinks he's a great 3 point shooter. However, he is automatic from the 10-12 ft range. And thats far enough to open up the middle

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah I can't wait till Battier says that when we get beat by less-talented teams next year.

Wow I am psyched!!!

7. vlaurelio

that is if he can actually get off a shot..

8. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

LOL. Someone dubs Battier as "Super Role Player" but SB always disappears when the game counts.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

He only played 12 minutes. They don't allow you to make plays from the bench. I wonder if Coach K caved in to the reputations of the bigger names and left his own "champion" on the bench too much?

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. the fault of the U.S. is always depending on one-on-one talent. sure we can blow crap teams out of the water, but in a close game that kind of play doesn't win.

i was very impressed with battiers play through out the tournament. i was also impressed with how well he was able to compliment such stars on the court.

IIRC, battier made huge plays in a few of the games this summer to assure a win. i think he's proven to step up when it counts.

as for VSPAN... i'm really excited.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Don't try to explain that to some of these jokers they don't care. battier's reply showed character and while he was on the court he played his heart out. I think this saying applies perfectly for some. "Never underestimate the mouth of an idiot!"

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

except for when it does.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Battier will be good for us , if we see him as we should. That is , as a contributor.

not as a star, or the answer to our prayers/missing piece. Nothing like that.

but solid contributor , sure.

anyone still wish we had Gay? Sorry.

14. MONON

MONON Member

Between you & OMR, you've pretty much said it all. :D

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

great quotes after a loss ...... big deal. I would take an arrogant winner over a "stand up" loser ANY DAY

16. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

I have to disagree.

Battier is known around the L as a guy who keeps his head when the game is on the line. He makes the important plays at the end of the game. He takes the charge, gets the key steal or block, makes the extra pass, and doesn't turn the ball over. His whole game is based on his hustle and IQ.

Its pretty obvious he's not the biggest, fastest, or most talented player on the WC team, but he does lead by example.

17. vlaurelio

so what did he do in that 12 minutes? I'm pretty sure his own college coach would have played him longer if he was actually contributing..

#17 vlaurelio, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  18. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Get ready. He is the ultimate spin doctor. He works the media like no other (Steve Nash being his closest rival). He stunk it up on the court but someone here is excited aout his after the game talk.

After his 2-5 FG 1-3 FT 5 points in 30 minute game 4 performance.

Sounds good, but doesn't mean diddly poo.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds like someone we know.

20. vlaurelio

unfortunately, he didn't step up in the game which counted the most.. his own college coach didn't even think he can..