1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is why Curry's not MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, Mar 8, 2015.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Are you serious? Curry put up the best offensive season of all time even if he missed some games.

Of course he is the MVP.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol this goes to show what people want to try and believe and ends up being 100% wrong

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is a clear cut definition of MVP. If there was, it would not have been debated so much.

that's why I don't think the number of MVPs necessarily define the greatness of a player. The best one can say is that winning an MVP puts you in the same conversation with the few elite players in your generation.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Last year there was an argument between Harden/Curry for the MVP. I personally thought it was Harden.

This year without a doubt it's Curry and everyone else far behind. Harden is not even in the conversation and rightfully so.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I wouldn't argue the MVP, but I would argue the unanimous decision. Never had it been done before, and I don't think Curry is GOAT. Kawhi/LeBron/Westbrook/Durant all got snubbed from 1st place vote? I call BS.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is not the greatest of all time, it is the separation between #1 and #2 and Curry did have the most efficient season ever in the history.

7. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

As the creator of this thread, I now have to say Curry deserved to be unanimous MVP. Last year, it was contested. This year it was no question.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You're kidding yourself if you think anybody but Curry had a claim for MVP. It absolutely should have been unanimous.

9. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

BS? Which of those players should have gotten a first-place vote? Or are you saying that, because no one has been unanimous before, someone should have purposely cast a vote for someone who clearly didn't deserve it just to deny Curry unanimity?

No one was close to Curry this year in terms of overall impact. There have probably been other players, too, who should have been voted MVP unanimously, but just because they weren't doesn't mean Curry shouldn't have been.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agree with this.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">While everyone gushes over Steph, <a href="https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd">@ColinCowherd</a> reminds us Draymond Green is most valuable. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HerdHere?src=hash">#HerdHere</a><a href="https://t.co/ETJc9Ol5XS">https://t.co/ETJc9Ol5XS</a></p>&mdash; Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/730112313257123841">May 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Guess I'm just upset he's the first unanimous mvp. Like I said, I don't deny the award. Oh well

13. SunsRocketsfan

yes harden was in the conversation last year but i still think it was curry. They had a better record and i feel curry was just slightly better than harden.

AGree this years it's not even close with anyone. Harden isnt even in the top 5 or 7 anymore.

Curry
    Everyone else: Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, Westbrook

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't understand this sort of thinking. If you agree the award is deserved, then essentially you're upset that all the voters agreed with you.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

What was wrong with those statement?

The Warriors would be an average team, slightly below the Blazers, which won 48 games. Just look at the games Curry missed, the GSW barely won the first two at home, then got beaten convincingly on the road in 3rd game, would have lost 4th if not for Curry's heroic overtime show. I'd say GSW would probably win ~45 games without Curry, that's an average NBA team in my book.

It's a common knowledge to most Warriors fans that Thompson had so much talent, but always makes the dumbest mistakes. He is incredibly inconsistent, he can be the best player on the court one game, then like some D-league guy in the next two. He is widely considered the player with the 2nd lowest IQ on the GSW team, just a little above Speights.

Both of those observations/statement are still true.

#695 daoshi, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  16. Fantasma Negro

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fN_W1UGPCRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I wish for once someone could beef with each other. lol TALK TRASH FOR NO REASON.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There isn't a clear cut definition of MVP. Nobody can use one set of logic to explain how Iguodala was the finals "MVP" while Curry is this season's "unanimous MVP".

I can't argue against Curry being MVP by itself, but certainly can argue against "unanimous" MVP. MVP should be a contentious award because it's based on value, which has a subjective definition. It's not the best offensive player award.

It's the same reason I always argue with people who say Scottie Pippen should have had more MVP awards. It's hard to give MVP to a guy who is a product of so much synergy on a roster, rather than a guy who is carrying a franchise on his shoulders.

19. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

How do you argue those things together? Some voters should have voted against Curry, even if they considered Curry the MVP, just to make it non-unanimous?

If you can't argue against Curry being the MVP, which voters do you think could have/should have?

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

It doesn't mean that Curry is necessary better than the guys who won the MVPs before, just the gap between him and the other candidates is wider than former MVPs' era.