1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is why Curry's not MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, Mar 8, 2015.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I guess kids still do drugs.

Guess you doubled the dose and now having weird unusual thoughts.

2. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

In his younger days with the kings kmart def could shoot off the dribble

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Isaiah Thomas and Tracy McGrady on NBA game time made the comment about how teams (sans Spurs) are really poor at guarding the three point line...And how the big fails to step up on P&R, thereby allowing Curry airspace to clear. Isaiah also mentioned that perimeter defenders now have terrible defensive stances, and often are out of balance when guarding...leading to an inability to guard the outside.

here's the NBA.com video:
    http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2015/04/09/20150409-inside-curry.nba/

4. t_mac1

Curry doesn't just shoot off the dribble, he creates off the dribble.

The KMART comparison is for people who clearly only watch his highlights.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The idea that his stats would improve is a harder pill to swallow than the idea his stats would fall. True, there is no control for this experiment, so technically you are correct. What bothers me is the assumption that ESPN makes that his numbers would just be automatically better because it fits a trend.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Which shouldn't be a knock at all considering how much Durant/Jordan/Lebron get to line too...

7. i3artow i3aller

Even with all Curry's 3s, he has yet to touch Donyell Marshall's record. No MVP for you!
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pRkXajkibRI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. t_mac1

Curry and Harden have been comparable this year statistically and dominance-wise. If you switched the team's success, Harden would be the overwhelming favorite.

I don't think it's a slight to any player if they didn't win. They both played extremely well this year at a very high level. And their teams needed it.

We should be in awe of watching these 2 guys, along with WB and AD, take their games to the next level.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a slight to the award if an award called the "Most Valuable Player Award" is given to a player that is merely the best player on the best team rather than being given to the most valuable player in the league. The award loses credibility when it goes to the wrong person.

10. tksense

tksense Member

Winning is the most valuable achievement. In the dub's case, Curry is the main reason for their winning, hence he is the MVP. Many even on this board have provided statistical evidence.

Harden is close because he creates wins too, just not as much as Curry today.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Dubs having a stacked roster is the main reason for their winning, not Curry.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then again, I know that the ridiculous notion that team accomplishment somehow is the same thing as individual accomplishment is really established among basketball fans, so there's no reason to fight it. It's why of course Sam Jones is the greatest shooting guard of all time, not Micheal Jordan....

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>And here's his 3pt FGM in 2014-15 (276+ counting, mind you)

<a href="http://t.co/KzG5Es5rU4">http://t.co/KzG5Es5rU4</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBAStats?src=hash">#NBAStats</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Warriors?src=hash">#Warriors</a> <a href="http://t.co/oinlJDbz0Q">pic.twitter.com/oinlJDbz0Q</a></p>&mdash; NBA.com (@NBAcom) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBAcom/status/586600073309503488">April 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fortunately, the playoffs will hopefully give us a lot more insight on how these two guys perform under pressure, especially when the defense will be more carefully designed to minimize their games.

Some people might think I am rooting for Curry, which is of course not true. I just think that the homerism in this thread is down right embarrassing. I think they are very close in terms of impact. I wouldn't complain if either one won the award. No need to trash one to prop up the other.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

this the fact that curry is being compared to someone like kevin martin is terrible.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the fact that Curry is being compared to actual MVP candidates is terrible. There wouldn't even be a race this season if the award was voted on by the players, Harden would win in a landslide. Sure Lebron would get some votes too, but it wouldn't be close.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

why is it terrible? what can you say about his impact that he has had on the game this season as a player that doesn't make him an MVP candidate. it's pretty confusing. are you more angry that he's seemingly being pushed over more than harden? or do you not believe curry should be considered an mvp condidate at all?

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

For me the split goes:

1a. Westbrook
    1b. Harden
    2 Curry

Don't get me wrong, Curry is as close as humanly possible to those two, but I'm not convinced that he is exactly in the same spot as them. Would I be pissed if Curry won it? No, but I'm still not convinced he is at the level that ESPN portrays him to be.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe he's an MVP candidate at all. He's an awesome 3 point shooter and he's on a very good team, but in no way is he even in the discussion for "Most Valuable Player", which is what the award is supposed to be for. If there's a "Really Awesome 3 Point Shooter on the League's Best Team Award" I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

as good as wb is individually, westbrook isn't in the same conversation as those two as he has yet prove to make his teammates better.