1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is the worst crowd ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yo, Mar 20, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude,
    you know how many millionaires live in NYC? you know how much rent is in Manhattan? people who live in NY can afford the tickets, plus there are WAY MORE PEOPLE in New York relative to Houston.

2. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

What, 3.5 million+ people isn't enough for you? I'm asking to fill up 18,500 seats, that's all. There are more members registered on Clutchfans than there are seats in the damn arena....

3. tinman

Supporting Member

how many of them of the live in houston and can afford to go pay $325/ticket? what other options of entertainment are there in Houston on a tuesday night?

Also, maybe some of them dont want to see the Pacers, who have lost 12 of 13 games.

maybe its not the Rockets. anyone remember the glory days? which games were impossible to buy tickets to?
    Chicago
    Los Angeles
    Boston

what games were really easy to get tickets to?
    The Other LA Team
    etc

4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man, no disrespect intended, but you guys gotta get over it. Not everyone can be "die-hard" fans. Just b/c some of us are, most people in that arena are not. Just be content with how you support your team. Don't be concerned with how other people choose to support thier team. Many are there to just take on a night of entertainment, take a girl to a game, are clients that got free tickets, etc. Corporate snobs, haha...so b/c someone is not as loud in their support of their team that makes them a corporate snob? Corporate no-shows...oh, couldn't be that they have those nice seats for the season but can't make some games, or buy them to give to clients, or...you get the point.

And the place can get very loud. It really does depend on the game, I've been there numerous times where the place was just scary loud. I mean the Laker game when the bench squad almost came back...that place was CRAZY. If you were there last night at the Pacer game...c'mon man, that game hardly had much to cheer about except in the 4th, and it still won't get as loud as some of the situations like I mentioned above.

I wasn't there last night, so I can't speak on it, but everytime I go, it's fun, and fairly loud atmosphere unless the team is getting owned (Raptor game). And at times, it can get VERY loud in there.

-T

5. tinman

Supporting Member

how about this?
    you take our team and you move all of them to the Knicks
    and we take the Knicks (Isiah and all) and move them to Houston.

The Garden will be sold out every game the media will talk about the Knicks ALL THE TIME, the City would be in a frenzy. The Toyota center wont be able to give away tickets.

And ALL OF YOU KNOW this is true. This isn't Sparta, this is Hou-ston!

6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

word.

7. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

I don't care what other stadiums do.

I care about the $1300 price tag preventing me from filling "those empty seats up front".

To the point of others here....
    Yeah, I could go (and sometimes do go) to the game and sit in the upper section for cheaper (though still expensive). But this discussion isn't about that. This discussion is about the empty seats down below and the quiet fans.

Seats are empty because:
    • They're bought by companies as giveaways for their clients. The clients either don't care about the game and don't show up, or they're old white-collars who don't stand and yell
    • They're priced out of range for families and average fans

That's the bottom line.

8. rocketsmetalspd

When I went to the game against the Clippers there were empty seats where the coporate people should be. I just wish if the TC knows that those seats will not be occupied they could sell them or have coporate owners give the tickets away.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Maybe because the Astros have been competitive just about every year since 1994?

After the Rox won their championships they had a pretty long sellout streak. I believe it was over 150.

Right now the Rockets are at 90% capacity. If they make it to the playoffs, have a decent run and a solid offseason look for that number to go up higher than 93% next year. A decent track record of success will bring people to the TC consistently.

And also remember the Rockets have had quite a few sellouts this season...

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is funny because the announcers last night kept talking about how great the Houston crowd has been all year long.

11. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

But aren't lower-level seats in ALL nba arenas just as expensive, or at least in the same range?

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That's because they were (SHOCKER) actually at the game!

Unlike these whiners stuck in front of their TVs. The crowd was GREAT last night. There were a noticeable number of empty seats for sure. But they were loud, they were cheering, and they were having fun. Even in the club seats. In spite of the terrible play of the Rockets.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My 18 cents:

1. Everyone bemoaning the lack of fans at Toyota Center that do not regularly attend games needs to pipe down. Yes, even the out of towners. It's easy to say you would if you could, but the fact is you don't. I shell out several thousand to be there as much as possible, and there are plenty of nights when I might be dragging from work but will still be there to stand and cheer end-to-end despite the whining going on from the people behind me. It's far rougher on the Rowdies - stop and consider the dedication it takes to show up and be the loudest fans in the building every game without letting up - even in rough losses like Toronto or stretches of 5 games in 11 days. They've got lives too and it's a lot tougher than you'd think.
    No, I'm not suggesting that anyone's a "bigger fan" than you, but if you don't regularly attend games, you're a hypocrite (or at best, ignorant) for blasting Toyota Center attendance.

2. You never see the upper deck of TC on TNT. It's regularly full. In the lower bowl, only about a third of the seats are "affordable" (less than $60/ticket). Not many of us here on this BBS, or among the diehard fanbase in general, have access to the sideline extended seats. Those are the glaring empty seats you see most games. It's a major downside in the Toyota Center setup, and there's little if anything that can be done. The seats are sold out, half the people/businesses that own them don't honestly care all that much, a tenth to a quarter of them just mingle in the clubs, and there's no sell back system like the Mavericks have. Even if there was, don't be shocked to find that the no shows are content with eating the tickets.

3. The true passion in this city lies with (a) football, (b) Astros. The Rockets (outside of this BBS) are the cute pet franchise of the city, and would be a very distant third (as in, would be located in Kentucky by now) had it not been for the 2 championships. Just how it is.

4. To answer the question of isn't it the same everywhere, the answer is no. Consider the Nets price chart:
    [​IMG]
    side of court seating: $100-$200
    or Orlando:
    [​IMG]
    Section 121: $65, Section 102: $99
    or Minnesota:
    [​IMG]
    Point being - the Toyota Center really locks "the average fan" out of the lower bowl seats along the side of the court (starts at $200)
    [​IMG]

Evan

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

dallas has had 290 straight sellouts or something like that my friend from cali was even laughing at our crowd

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Yeah, it's hard to enjoy the Toyo Center, the SUMMIT crowd was off the meat rack. It was easy because we were winning titles. The city has changed tremendously and all the suits get the up close tickets and sit on their hands and a's all day.

Plus the lack of b-ball knowledge and excitement is very evident. An 8:30pm start on a Tuesday didn't help with the Pacers losers of 7.

16. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

I sit in the lower level..I have season tickets for $35 face value...I have posted on here numerous times selling at or under face value and I never heard from you.....so i don't know what you are talking about...

17. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

• well somebody has to pay for Yao's and TMAC contract....I just found out they are raising prices for next year on season tickets...my $35 tickets face vlue (lower corner section ) is going up to $40 a piece.... :mad:

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Lower corner for $35 a game? What...

And its not the fact that we aren't winning championships. There are plenty of sucky teams out there that sellout a lot of their games.

19. Weezy

Weezy Member

LOL what's with all the baseball haters? I, for one, love the Astros. I bet you'd think it's a shame for those same baseball fans to spit all over basketball and the Rockets. Maybe they are the ones you could convince to help fill up the seats. You ought to have some love for successful Houston sports franchises.

20. rocketswinitall

i dont blame many people sitting in the lower levels, i go to half of games (i would go to all but me and my friend share the season tickets) and there not just $100 per ticket, they are 185$
    if you buy two tickets, two drinks and two fries, it gets to be around $350-$400