1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is the way. (Hopium)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lawlruschang, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

A lot of us have met the Harden trade rumors with skepticism for some good reasons. I don’t know that the Nets actually have enough assets to get the deal done, as any first round picks we receive would likely be the 30th pick with Kyrie/Harden/Durant playing in the East. The Sixers wouldn’t really have any net positive players outside of Harden and Embiid, and that duo alone with role players isn’t really a better situation than what we could create here in Houston. Plus there’s the bad blood with Morey.

Then last night Harden called cap on IG and we made the Covington trade and suddenly it got me thinking... what if we are trying to clear cap space for 2021 when Giannis Kawhi and PG are FAs? One crucially ignored aspect of free agency is that it is the only way other than tanking to gain assets without giving up anything in return. Even when you draft a player you are giving up that draft pick that could have been traded for something. FA is the fastest way for a team in our spot with star power but limited assets to take a step forward, and perhaps Stone knows this.

Now for the juicy part: if we unload Russ for expiring contracts and a first round pick, we would have enough cap space to sign Giannis and trade Gordon + House + whoever we draft 16th + up to 3 additional first round picks for Booker, KAT, Embiid, or Jokic.

Who’s down?

Edit: Depending on the specific star we trade for, it could be possible to keep House and do Gordon + whoever is picked 16th + 3 first round picks and end up with a roster like Nwaba / Harden / House / Giannis / KAT which in my opinion would be a prohibitive championship favorite

IBTL, rhee and RustyHarden like this.
  2. WestendMassive

3. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Nice post. But I don't think even Harden is netting us a D. Booker/J. Murray type due to ages/contracts. Not sure how some middling 1st's plus Gordon is supposed to.

WestendMassive and daywalker02 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

House should be gone, I insist.

I am not up to daydreaming with Tilman at helm.

5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think Giannis is re-signing with Bucks (given today's trades)

Kawhi AND PG want to be in SoCal.... not in South Texas

clos4life and daywalker02 like this.
  6. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HakeemOnlyFan and daywalker02 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can see PG joining but only if Westbrook is still here.

It's not happening either way because they'd have to move Harden first yadda yadda.

8. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

If they win, he will stay, if not then they are ****ed.

If he chooses not to stay, the key is which teams have the cap space to sign him. Most of those teams are trash, with the exception of Miami. Who do you think Giannis would rather play with, Jimmy Butler or Harden + Booker/KAT/Embiid

9. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

More details:

Initial trade would be Westbrook for Otto Porter Jr (28M expiring) + 5M filler + FRP. Bulls are being reported as wanting to acquire a PG and just basically renounced the rights to Kris Dunn. Guess who their coach is? Billy Donovan. This would also generate an 8M trade exception.

2021:
    Sign Giannis w cap space
    Trade Gordon + #16 + 3 FRP + filler for Booker, KAT, or Embiid
    try to keep House (4M expiring)
    re-sign Mclemore
    re-sign Nwaba using early Bird rights
    re-sign Otto Porter Jr using Bird rights
    MLE on a Josh Richardson/Jeff Green type player
    8M trade exception + pick for another depth piece

Harden
    Nwaba
    Otto Porter Jr
    Giannis
    KAT/Embiid

Richardson
    Mclemore
    House
    Jeff Green

Alternatively:
    Harden
    Booker
    House
    Porter
    Giannis

either team wins you the title

rhee likes this.
  10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

We'll know in about a month (re; Giannis)

Lawlruschang likes this.